Head Solitaire» Forums » Variants

Subject: Rule changes to make it easier (and more fun) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hardly found any melds, so added two changes to the rules to make it a little easier:

1. You can play a run-meld as long as you can create a "thread" of suits. E.g. 2 and 3 could share suns, 3 and 4 could share knots. Thus you create a run of 2-3-4.

2. You can have a set of three or more cards of any rank, as long as they share the same suit.

I think this variant needs a scoring system for the various melds, as someone suggested in one of the comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rule changes with more melds & scoring system.
Here's a basic scoring system:

A straight (that's a run-meld following one suit) scores the value of the highest card in the run.

A mixed-run-meld scores the value of the lowest card in the run.

A rank-meld (three or more cards of the same rank) scores the value of the rank played.

A full suit-meld (contains exactly one of each of the six suits) scores the value of the highest card in the meld.

A mixed-suit-meld (that's three or more cards of any rank, sharing the same suit) scores zero.

Aces are worth 1 point, Crowns are worth 10 points.

Go through the pack twice, as per original rules, creating as many melds as possible. At the end of the game, count the number of cards you have remaining. Subtract this number from your total meld score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidVS designed this one very quickly and showed it to Cristyn and me. Although we tested it out, I don't think he revised the rules from that initial draft. So it would surprise me if it couldn't be improved.

My foggy recollection of it is that it was too easy rather than too hard, but that was years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davymast wrote:
I hardly found any melds, so added two changes to the rules to make it a little easier:

1. You can play a run-meld as long as you can create a "thread" of suits. E.g. 2 and 3 could share suns, 3 and 4 could share knots. Thus you create a run of 2-3-4.

2. You can have a set of three or more cards of any rank, as long as they share the same suit.

I think this variant needs a scoring system for the various melds, as someone suggested in one of the comments.

I agree this would make it a lot easier to make melds, which are so very dependent on the order cards are drawn, it makes it extremely hard to get any kind of decent score. The first time I played, I only got 2 melds the entire game, which seemed wrong.

So I really like the idea of having mixed-run-melds, and mixed-suit-melds (which I'd call a Flush from poker terminology).

I think your scoring suggestions are good, though it does rely on you finding where the melds start/stop that you archive (some may join together). Probably not too much of an issue in practice though. I like the idea of subtracting your remaining cards from your score to get your grand total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.