Hide
9 Posts

Friday» Forums » Rules

Subject: Exchange a card for it's value (0 or -1), still use it's ability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunter Mitton
msg tools
So, I'm new to this game and loving it. Still a bit foggy on some of the basics.

For example: Let's say I draw a (0 + Life) and a (0+Life) and an (exchange x2). In most instances, I would exchange the two 0's due to their value. But, does that mean that I can't take advantage of the +1 lifes they provide.

Basically, I've been playing that anytime I pull a +1 or +2 life, I immediately gain back those lives from my pile, and then later, should I have an opportunity, I "put one below the pile" or "exchange" due to the value they show. Is this proper? I'm I getting my cake and eating it two?

Seems to me, the right thing to do is, pull the +1 or +2 lives at the end of the draw round, because if it's not there to add up at the end, I shouldn't have gotten the life during the play. Is this how you see it?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
HunterF1 wrote:
So, I'm new to this game and loving it. Still a bit foggy on some of the basics.

For example: Let's say I draw a (0 + Life) and a (0+Life) and an (exchange x2). In most instances, I would exchange the two 0's due to their value. But, does that mean that I can't take advantage of the +1 lifes they provide.

Basically, I've been playing that anytime I pull a +1 or +2 life, I immediately gain back those lives from my pile, and then later, should I have an opportunity, I "put one below the pile" or "exchange" due to the value they show. Is this proper? I'm I getting my cake and eating it two?

Seems to me, the right thing to do is, pull the +1 or +2 lives at the end of the draw round, because if it's not there to add up at the end, I shouldn't have gotten the life during the play. Is this how you see it?

Thanks.

Hi!

Yes, you activate those "Life + 1" cards first to get the Life point, then use the "Exchange" to Exchange both of them out. You are usually able to Exchange / Destroy / Bottom of the Deck any card that has been Activated or not.

Note that if you exchanged a card with a "Exchange X 2" and that new card had an action that you wanted to use immediately, you could not use it and then Exchange a second card. All actions must be fully completed before you take a new action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Mitton
msg tools
Thank you very much for that quick answer!

Another, likely basic question:

So, at anytime your life tokens are gone from your pile, your dead right?

In other words: If you are drawing, and you get a (-1 life), and it takes your last one, I see were you would be dead. But, if you voluntarily take a life (last one), out of the pile to draw another card, and that card wins the hand, can you continue with no lives in the pile? In this instance, if you come to a point were you need to lose a life to get another card, and you can't lose a life you are dead. Right? And if you get a (-1), and there are no lives to lose you are dead?

See my fogginess on this? Basically, if at any point your life pile is empty, whether voluntarily are not, are you dead? Or can you play the next hand, till you have no lives to lose?

Thanks for your clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are dead when you need to lose a life, and you don't have one to lose. (So, essentially, when you go negative.)

You don't have to activate "-1 Life" cards immediately when you draw them. If you still have cards left to draw when you draw it, you could draw others in the hopes of gaining the life you have to lose before the end of the encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Mitton
msg tools
Thank you very much! What a fantastic website and forum, to allow guys like me that are very new to this to have you guys to give us a hand!

These two changes we've gone over here will greatly effect my win capability, as I believe I was playing way to difficult with strict rules that were more so than the actual rules.

Thanks again!

P.S. Are there any other "Solo" great games like this? Either dice based or card? I have Dungeon Roll coming, so I know about that one. Any other recommendations would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, make sure you carefully read the descriptions of the cards' special abilities in the rulebook. The description usually says when the ability shopuld be applied; if it doesn't say, you can choose when to apply it (but obviously, only while you still have it in play!).

So in the case of the -1 Life aging card, I think it actually says that it applies at the end of the fight, but even if it doesn't specify, you can still wait to see if you can get rid of the card before losing the life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HunterF1 wrote:
P.S. Are there any other "Solo" great games like this? Either dice based or card? I have Dungeon Roll coming, so I know about that one. Any other recommendations would be great!

I've also been looking for other good solo games. I recently got Onirim, but I've only played it once so I don't have a very clear opinion of it yet. It doesn't really have similar mechanics to Friday, but it seems like quite a fun solo game, and it can also be played as a 2-player co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Mage Knight Board Game has deck building in it, and is an excellent single player game. But it's only 1 part of a much longer and more involved game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scribes
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HunterF1 wrote:

Have a look at Stak Bots - this is much lighter filler game but the designer has a Solo variant on his website, where your 10-bot team attacks 4 passive 5-bot teams. Normally this is luck-of-the-deal, but the Strategy variation allows for drafting so you have points-value-balanced-teams.

[At time of writing] For UK based interested buyers, consider buying direct from the official website - the White Original & Yellow Expansion decks can be bought together (with P&P) for less than the combined RRP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.