Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: American Ninja Warrior - First woman to complete qualifying course [YT] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is insane, particularly since this course is not built for people only 5 feet tall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
was once a plant in a fruit plot
mbmbmbmbmb
You listen to her? She was clearly powered by Helium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I could do that, but I don't wanna.

Seriously though, there's something very strange going on with the time code. The course time should be about, oh, 20 seconds or so behind the youtube video time, but eventually it's more than a minute ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Landstander wrote:
Seriously though, there's something very strange going on with the time code. The course time should be about, oh, 20 seconds or so behind the youtube video time, but eventually it's more than a minute ahead.

It's edited down a little bit. Looks like they cut out an extra minute or two of rest that she took between the warped wall and the following obstacle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Landstander wrote:
I could do that, but I don't wanna.

They have unlimited time to complete the course. They cut out a bit of resting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
We were in shock at the end, and cheering right along with the crowd. As you said, it's not about her being a woman, but her height is such a disadvantage. Now I wonder just how she'll do in Vegas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
"Reality TV" has poisoned my mind to the point where this looks staged.

* She looks a little too perky and TV-ready
* the announcers seem a little too rehearsed
* the crowd seems to be kinda not really spontaneously into it
* her "trainer/boyfriend" climbing the platform at the end seemed staged

I'm not saying she didn't finish the course, but was she possibly given the course to train on prior to this?
Did she fall a few times & restart to get "the perfect run?"
Was she coached by the show's producers about the in's-and-out's about how each section should be traversed?

I dunno, it just doesn't look genuine. Even her reactions seem canned and fake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

I'm not saying she didn't finish the course, but was she possibly given the course to train on prior to this?
Was she coached by the show's producers about the in's-and-out's about how each section should be traversed?

Ten bucks says it becomes a Red Bull commercial.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

This show is not scripted I believe. Some of the things are definitely recorded after-the-fact, I'm thinking and there is some post-production, but I believe that the competition is real.

Quote:

This is her third or fourth season on the show? She's been interviewed pretty extensively for the show and has been on it multiple times before, so I think that explains her "readiness."

Quote:

Yeah, I don't know about the announcers. I think that some of what they say is scripted and some may be added in post-production.

Quote:

The crowd looks pretty into it to me. They are sitting there the whole day watching multiple contestants compete on the same course over and over, so there may not be many surprises.

Quote:

Her boyfriend is one of the most renowned contestants on the show. He always competes on the show as well and the producers have done their best to spotlight the relationship between the two. It doesn't really seem out of character for him.

Quote:

Quote:

The first half of the course is the same as the qualifying course that they had to complete before they made it to that stage. So that part she has run before. Also, her boyfriend runs a gym where people train for the show and they have replicas of all the obstacles in the gym. The producers of the show always throw in something new to mix it up, but it's possible that she's already trained on most of these obstacles.

Quote:

This is the part that makes this impressive. You are only given one shot at the course. If you fail, I believe they take the top x number of contestants that got the furthest the fastest. If you don't make the cut, then better luck next year.

As someone who's seen the show before (not just this season, but some episodes from previous seasons) it seems legit to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

I wouldn't call this reality tv. It's more accurately an athletic game show like the original American Gladiators.

Quote:

The people who compete on this show are screened not just for their athletic ability, but their camera readiness as well. This is a game show standard--it doesn't matter how good you are if you have the personality of a dead fish.

Quote:

It's possible they recorded their commentary afterwards.

Quote:

Not sure what you mean here. They seem to be cheering in all the right places. And they hushed during the Warped Wall, but exploded when she made it. It's possible there could be someone prompting them when to cheer, like a cross between a cheerleader and applause sign.

Quote:

This may have been a producer's idea. Then again, he had no safety wires and it's a long drop if he lost his grip. (Not the same for the people who do the spider climb--the crash mat raises, so it's always about 5 feet below them.)

Quote:

According to a Reddit AMA from another contestant, no practice runs are allowed:

"No practice of obstacles is allowed during try outs. Only way we can practice obstacles is if we build replicas and train on them through the year. On game day we are read the rules for completing each obstacle and tester shows us how to do it and then it's up to us after that! " (source: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1i716v/i_am_a_5_time_a... )

Quote:

Game shows have third-party Standards and Practices people who are there to make sure there are no shenanigans. This was a result of the quiz show scandals. They wouldn't let this happen unless it was a technical glitch with the course itself.

Quote:

If you watch enough, you see the contestants coach each other. There's also this from the AMA: " We are in the dark until the week of try outs. If anything we may have a day or two of knowing what our regions obstacles will be. They change from region to region except for only a few mainstays like the warped wall and salmon ladder. Keeps thing interesting for us not knowing until the last minute!"

Quote:

Looked pretty genuine to me. Also, she's a gymnast. She's trained to do all this with a smile on her face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell which was my favorite part--the Cirque de Soleil-style pole dance jump she did at the second to last obstacle, or the cartoon physics she applied to get up a warped wall three times taller than her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The course needs to adjust for peoples height. That seems to be a limiting factor in whether one obstacle is easier or harder for different contestants. A 6 foot man goes through the course much easier than a 5 foot man, which means it is not a fair competition if it is bias towards taller people with longer legs and longer arms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
The course needs to adjust for peoples height. That seems to be a limiting factor in whether one obstacle is easier or harder for different contestants. A 6 foot man goes through the course much easier than a 5 foot man, which means it is not a fair competition if it is bias towards taller people with longer legs and longer arms.

Taller people also have to maneuver more weight through the course than shorter people.

I don't see anything wrong with how it is structured. We don't need to Harrison Bergeron this thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I believe two more women have completed the quals since she did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
was once a plant in a fruit plot
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
We were in shock at the end, and cheering right along with the crowd.

That was us too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
erak wrote:
Landstander wrote:

It's edited down a little bit. Looks like they cut out an extra minute or two of rest that she took between the warped wall and the following obstacle.

Of course, they cut out the only part I could actually do.

I agree about the complete fakeness of the announcers, though. I hate that kind of shit. I'm not at all convinced they were "announcing" the event live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:

2 more women finished the qualifying round, but this video is her finishing the city finals. No other woman has done that yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:

Yeah, but this was the finals. And really damn impressive for someone so short. I never thought she was going to make it past those red bars after the salmon ladder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
Leezer wrote:

Yeah, but this was the finals. And really damn impressive for someone so short. I never thought she was going to make it past those red bars after the salmon ladder.

Her size and weight are a huge advantage for most of the course from what I can tell. She can lift her own weight longer than people who are heavier, but I tip my hat to her acrobatic ability to make up for her lack of reach. That was impressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Super impressive. First woman to even come remotely close to Mt. Madoriama. If they have the Jumping Spider in any of the stages there, she's going to be in trouble. Even in Japan, I don't think a woman has made it out of qualifying rounds, but it's been a while since I've been able to watch the Japanese show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
First woman to even come remotely close to Mt. Madoriama.

If I can nitpick for a moment, it's "Mt. Midoriyama." But even that is stupid because "Midoriyama" means "Green Mountain" in Japanese. So It's "Mt. Green Mountain." Blech.

/pedant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
Even in Japan, I don't think a woman has made it out of qualifying rounds, but it's been a while since I've been able to watch the Japanese show.

Having seen the Jumping Spider videos, that's going to eliminate a lot of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
Even in Japan, I don't think a woman has made it out of qualifying rounds, but it's been a while since I've been able to watch the Japanese show.

Having seen the Jumping Spider videos, that's going to eliminate a lot of people.

I believe that's a special women only show they put together that had different obstacles than the men's course. They allow women in the men's course, but they have the same challenges the US women have. It's designed for men, so they have to be more than good to beat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
First woman to even come remotely close to Mt. Madoriama.

If I can nitpick for a moment, it's "Mt. Midoriyama." But even that is stupid because "Midoriyama" means "Green Mountain" in Japanese. So It's "Mt. Green Mountain." Blech.

/pedant

Be my guest. I knew it was probably wrong, but was too lazy to look it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
What the heck is up with the announcer in that video of Ayako Miyake? Am I the only one to get a very creepy vibe from him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.