David Tompkins
United States
Stromsburg
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Scripture Alone, Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Christ Alone, To God Alone be Glory!
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the idea after watching a documentary about the sun, solar flares, CMEs and how it effects the earth and its power grid. I was interested in a game that had the players working together and needing each other at times, but also competing for the win, so I decided to try to make it.

Theme
The year is 2173 and the sun’s activity is strangely beginning to intensify. It is shooting dangerous solar flares which are becoming too much for the magnetic field that has for so long protected our planet. Thankfully, a team of international scientists have discovered how to replicate and rebuild the magnetic field of the earth.

Each round represents 78 hours which is to allow time for a new solar flare to be seen leaving the sun, and at the end of the round it hits earth. Players have that round to prepare for the next solar flare.

The goal of the game is for the players (who are nations) to cooperatively compete to build a new magnetic field to protect the earth. This is done while managing their economies, developing technologies, keeping at bay the oncoming solar flares, and even deciding whether to aid other nations in trouble. Players will invest in power stations which produce energy, this can be converted to MFCs (Magnetic Field Charges) and from there sent to either your shield for protection, someone else's shield for money and their protection, or to the field.

If a player can no longer remove any more of the required cubes from their shield then they are out of the game. If everyone gets out everyone loses.

The game is over if at the end of the round the second to last line of the magnetic field is completely built. The player that has contributed the most MFCs to the rebuilding of the field wins.

Play time - 2 hours(less if players lose)
# of players: 2- 6 (add additional flare cards with more players)

Materials
50 cubes (MFCs) for each player
1 Magnetic Field board
1 nation Board player mat for each player
Solar Flare Deck - about 32 cards
Disaster Deck - about 25 cards
Technology Card Deck - about 100 cards
Policy Card Deck - about 100 cards
Renewable Power Stations (Wind, Nuclear, Geothermal, Solar, Wave) - 25 cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tompkins
United States
Stromsburg
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to it the files.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B808lPnnBX4zMVRsUmVW...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun idea! You should use the name Carrington in there somewhere in reference to the Carrington event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tompkins
United States
Stromsburg
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
Fun idea! You should use the name Carrington in there somewhere in reference to the Carrington event.

That's clever! I think I will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.