Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Burns
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a chance to run Romulan yet, it seems like every time I plan to something comes up that prevents me from making the event or shafts the noble daughters of Romulus from being competitive. But I'm going to this Sunday! I initially built this:

I.R.W. Valdore (30)
Romulan Commander (5)
Invasion Plans (5)
Romulan Pilot (2)
Bochra (1)
Ship SP: 43

I.R.W. Khazara (30)
Toreth (4)
Counter Attack (3) (or actually Massacre, assuming I can find a Vo before this weekend)
Tactical Officer (3)
Parem (1)
Nuclear Warhead (3)
Interphase Generator (3)
Ship SP: 47

Total Build SP: 90

Which seems sound enough. Solid attack and defense options, maneuverable, respectable captain skills, and some chaff for the Borg. Then I started pondering the Aj'Rmr:

Resource: The Elite Attack Die (5)

I.R.W. Valdore (30)
Toreth (4)
Invasion Plans (5)
Romulan Pilot (2)
Bochra (1)
Ship SP: 42

P.W.B. Aj'Rmr (30)
Mirok (2)
Tactical Officer (3)
Parem (1)
Nuclear Warhead (3)
Interphase Generator (3)

Total Build SP: 89

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Run the Aj'Rmr ahead alongside with the blind ship, tanking and setting up the enemy to get strafed by the trailing Valdore. The Aj'Rmr seems like a better ship for the purposes of soaking up damage, with its special ability granting re-rolls and Mirok there to repair when he can.

Any Romulan vets have any suggestions? I have everything but the Vo and the Vorta Vor. Not particularly interesting in crossing factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Old School" Romulan here although I haven't run Rom Fleets since the Dominion Wars (man that sounded impressive....)

Since Collective OP1 plays out as a joust in most games, I think a Valdore/Valdore would fare well. D'd turtling is only going to be useful if you send a Prateus out to drop some Cloaked Mines, which could be nasty if your opponent charges forward and the BCT moves that way. You run the risk your opponent will slingshot over and nullify your chance to drop mines.

Definitely nice to have Bochra & Parem to sacrifice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like running the EAD with a Romulan pure build. If you have a way to convert BS into Hits, then the EAD is 5 points for a guaranteed hit every turn.

If you have access to the Command Pips, they might be a better option for you.

One idea I've looked at recently is the Rom Flagship on the Valdore. Free sensor echo every turn could render the BCT a non factor for that ship. 6 dice with a tactical officer can hit really hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really liked Romulans but since there started being so many attack dice out there I've had pretty bad luck with them. What do you more experienced people think about:

Valdore (30) + Ind. Klingon Flagship (10) for the scan and +1 attack on friendly ships range 2-3, Toreth (4), Massacre (3), Tactical Officer (3), and Cloaked Mines (3) which goes on because of the flagship = 53

Generic Valdore (28) + Donatra (4) + Tac Officer (3) + Romulan Pilot (2) = 37?

Would I be better off going with the Interphase Generator as my tech instead of the mines? I'm worried about not doing enough damage. I'd like to take the Ind. Dominion flagship also for the target lock, but feel like I'd need the extra attack die and that the shield stat boost might not be as useful if I'm cloaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this, it's a variant of a build I won OP6 with.

I.R.W. Valdore (30)
Toreth (4)
Bochra (1)
Romulan Pilot (2)
Total (37)

Valdore Class (28)
Mirok (2)
N'Vek (2)
Parem (1)
Total (33)

Romulan Science Vessel (12)
Flagship: Romulan (10)
Donatra (4)
Interphase Generator (3)
Total (29)

Fleet total: 99

The Apnex should be able to stay out of range of the BCT and in range of the Valdores through the free sensor echo. The two Valdores will be throwing decent dice with re-rolls without having to take an action, so they can cloak, echo or evade as looks best. You might even get a chance to use N'Vek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stone
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I've been strongly considering knocking the dust off my Romulans for this event, but I really don't know what I'm doing per se. Our venue restricts us to faction pure per-ship, and for the Collective OP we can't use any prior OP resource (dumb, but nothing I can do about it). I've been told we can use the Counter Attack Dice for the Month One event (following the trend that allowed us to use the resources for Arena/Tholian at their events).

My initial idea was Valdore on the Valdore, followed by a Praetus with Donatra, and both loaded with upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem with Captain Valdore is that he doesn't work on Borg opponents since they don't have an arc to be out of.

I like the Dontra science vessel, but I'm going to need to build to 90. The cheap crew are guys I don't think I'll get much use out of though, especially N'vek, since adding a die doesn't really help that much unless there's a way to modify it. Were you building that to counter a lot of crew combos Rob?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stone
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Well poop.

That changed my build quite a bit (could have sworn Valdore worked on Borg, but I just confirmed you are right).

Resource: The Counter Attack Die (5)

I.R.W. Valdore (30)
Toreth (4)
Massacre (3)
Romulan Pilot (2)
Bochra (1)
Nuclear Missiles (2)

I.R.W. Khazara (30)
Donatra (4)
Counter Attack (3)
Parem (1)
Tactical Officer (3)
Nuclear Missiles (2)
Ship SP: 43

Total Build SP: 90

Only downside to this build is I need to get a hold on a second copy of Nuclear Missles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PenguinBonaparte wrote:
Were you building that to counter a lot of crew combos Rob?

Nope, to feed to the BCT.

The Romulan Flagship gives a free reroll to Romulan ships withing range 1-2 so, assuming his ship doesn't need to cloak or evade it could use his action.

I totally forgot that the build limit was 90. Makes the Romulan Flagship a riskier proposition, probably not worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I took Parem to feed to the BCT when I was playing the "bye" players during our OP1, but actually got the opportunity to use him to kill Spock of Borg on a player-run TacCube. Not a bad trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, the Spockosphere is a pretty powerful combo, esp. with the tac drone. Sadly, or luckily, not sure yet, I'll be playing in faction pure settings. So do you suppose my build doesn't have enough stuff to get stolen by the BCT? I'm just thinking about trying to actually get attack dice out before getting blown to kingdom come, which has been what usually hinders the Romulans. That's also why I'm reluctant to bring the D'deridex. 3 attack just isn't enough, no matter how awesome the ship is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stone
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Honestly, if I owned 2 Valdores I'd be running 2 Valdores. While 3 Attack Dice isn't absolutely terrible (I'm looking at YOU Scout Ship), a lot of the over-played factions (Fed, Borg) can average 4-5 (or 6) much more easily than we can.

That being said, I would go with the Dom Flagship in your build rather than the +1 Attack Dice one. The free target lock is surprisingly useful, especially if you have the Tactical Officer on that ship. Your 4-5 Attack Dice can basically be 4-5 Hits every turn, and barring an opposing cloak or Borg that a ships shields entirely gone, or hull if you'd battered it down already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
You cant put a DOm flagship on a Romulan ship. Flagship has to be same faction of ship or a neutral flagship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stone
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
We were talking about the Independant side of the Dom flagship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
3rd time typing this as my browser keeps pissing me off.

I ran Romulans throughout the majority of the Dominion War - except OP5. I couldn't get them to work in OP5. Only a 3 bare back D'D with cloaked mines and IG seemed to win in my practices but that was just too boring for me.

I played most with 2 Valdores and a smaller ship filling in whatever role the scenario dictated. Worked really well for the majority of it - I've never had more fun than a flagship Valdore with Toreth and Joachim (and Massacre).

However, due to the increase in massive attacks with quality and defence dice being so poor and no modification, I'm really turning away from cloak and Romulans. And that their ships are generally high points for low attack. And attack negation being too costly without giving tech slots.

That said, I do love the idea of Toreth, AWA and Massacre for OP2. And we have cheaper fodder than most for OP1 but I think I'd be too scared of being one-shotted by the BCT or out attacked diced by the current builds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Valdores are great but I suppose with the way the Romulans are tending it might not be worth picking up a second at this point. I was planning on using the Target Lock every turn, but maybe you're right if that lets me take an evade every turn with a free target lock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tac Officer is pretty amazing, and statistically makes basically every die into a hit. Might be worth getting a second one if you're hardcore into romulans.

If the Scimitar has the canonical "cloak without lowering shields" thing, that could be a game-changer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
PanicAtTheSisko wrote:
Tac Officer is pretty amazing, and statistically makes basically every die into a hit.

He is really good but without anything else I believe the odds of a hit/crit for Tac officer are 0.875 on each die.

Easy way to calculate it is

P(A) = The probability of not getting a hit or crit on one roll of the die= 0.5

So the probability of not getting a hit on three rolls of the dice = 0.5*0.5*0.5 = P(A)^3 remember each die roll is an independent event

So then 1-P(A)^3 = probability of a die getting 1 hit/crit in three rolls. 1-0.5*0.5*0.5 = 0.875

BS plus a normal target lock is 0.9375 per die (1-0.25*.25). However the Tac Officer has a higher odds of a crit, and takes less actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Burns
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactical Officer is indeed great, but I wonder at his utility in OP 1 just because it seems like you'll be using sensor echo (hopefully to get away from the Borg) and the Resist actions more often than not, and Target Locks will be few and far between. (Barring a free target locks via command token and flagship.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Burns
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got from running a small variant on the Romulan fleet I posted before. I wasn't able to find a Vo in time, so I couldn't take Massacre. Nobody else showed up, so it was just me and the TO.

I.R.W. Valdore
Toreth
Romulan Flagship
Invasion Plans
Romulan Pilot
Bochra

I.R.W. Khazara
Letant
Parem
Interphase Generator

Pulled the B'Moth (as did my opponent - pretty sure each side of the brick was a mirror of the other), played it with K'nera and the crew, Kunivas.

He ran something like this:

Voyager with Picard
Transphasic Torps
Spock
Barclay

Equinox with Riker
Quantum Torps

B'Moth with K'nera and Torps

He lined up parallel to the map edge, as far into the corner he could. I set up opposite him facing out, ready to swoop in on his tail as fast as I could. The Borg, sensing that tasty Federation crew, perhaps, charged straight for him, and I was able to swoop in and systemically demolish his lighter ships while suffering maybe one hull against my Khazara. The Borg basically herded him directly into my field of fire. He managed to bring Voyager to bear and cut loose with his Transphasics and scored a solid 6 hits on Khazara, which I then felt like a total jerk converting into 1 hit with my Interphase Generator, which he either wasn't familiar with or had forgotten I had. After that it was just chasing Voyager down and pounding it, which with all three ships wasn't too hard even with the Borg bearing down. Valdore did most of the Voyager killing.

The Borg were a great intimidation factor this game, but actually only ended up assimilating a couple things off me, my Klingon Captain and poor Parem. I managed to say out of range most of the time, especially with sensor echo. It never got to attack. My opponent lost a few things to assimilation, but I think I killed those ships so fast that he wouldn't have had a chance to use those upgrades anyway.

Pretty happy with my first foray into the Romulans. Flagshiping Valdore turned out to be huge just for the rerolls and extra attack/defense dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Pappystein
United States
flag msg tools
Adam500 wrote:
(I'm looking at YOU Scout Ship)

HEY! That is my Flagship you are talking about! I routinely run a Scout Ship with the flagship and Additional Weapons array. Suddenly my scout ship has as much teath as the Valdore and has a better dial and evasion bonus!

In a faction pure event the builds I have seen here are very good. The only issue is, the best part of Romulus, the Cloaked Mines and Nuclear warheads, cant be used for the OPs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I almost - *ALMOST* - won our Collective OP1 (faction-pure) with Romulans.

List was:
Quote:
I.R.W. Khazara (30)
Toreth (4)
Resource: Flagship Independent (Fed) (10)
Goval (1)
Bochra (1)
Tactical Officer (3)
Interphase Generator (3)

I.R.W. Valdore (30)
Donatra (4)
Parem (1)
Tactical Officer (3)

General gist is that the Khazara cloaked every turn it could, and took a 'target lock' if already cloaked, and got the free evade. The Valdore, then, could cloak as its ship action, and the flagship 'free action' was...target lock.

If the BCT was in the vicinity, ships would sacrifice other plans (more or less) to take 'resist'...but still get the free evade and free ship action*. Didn't realize it until I started playing the event, but once you've lost all but one 'upgrade'...don't bother wasting your action with 'resist'...if you've only got one upgrade left before your captain is gone, it's what you are going to lose no matter what, so...might as well take a last shot using it! Both my tactical officers spent their last turn as Romulans pulling target locks...

(Of course, there was another player at our event who ran a Borg tac cube tricked out. Never faced him, myself, but he won all three of his rounds WITH the bonus for dealing the killing blow on the enemy, so...he pulled ahead of me.)

* It's worth pointing out that the OBVIOUS choice, in some cases, was to 'sensor echo' as the free action, instead. Ship action of 'cloak', flagship comes up alongside and it then echos away. As the BCT only grabbed the closest ships to it, that proved handy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.