Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played (and won!) the Dominion War OP5 event this weekend at my FLGS with the following Klingon fleet:

Resource: Flagship Independent (Klingon) (10)

Vor'cha Class (26)
Klingon Captain (0)
Ship SP: 26

Vor'cha Class (26)
Worf (3)
N'Garen (4)
Ship SP: 33

I.K.S. Koraga (26)
Klingon Captain (0)
Flagship (0)
Projected Stasis Field (5)
Ship SP: 31

Total Build SP: 100

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

In our OP4 event, I had played two Negh'Vars and a Vor'Cha, experimenting with the sideboard resource for the first time. My build was soundly thrashed by an alpha striking Fed build which went on to win the event. I decided then and there that the side-board resource is perhaps the worst resource to have against an alpha-striking Fed fleet. I also decided that in the next OP, I would do something to guard against this one build in particular.

The build above was tailored to deal with that kind of alpha strike, allowing my Flagship to (hopefully) shut down the main gunship in the action phase. It wasn't guaranteed to work, because the range of the PSF is only 1-2, but it was something at least.

In order to beef up the other ships, I opted for the Independent Klingon Flagship to give the other ships in the fleet +1 attack dice at range 2-3, effectively giving them 6 dice at all ranges so long as they are within 1 of the flagship (the K'Vort). This way when the PSF goes off, the two Vor'Chas can throw six dice, while the K'Vort can still throw 3 dice. That was the plan anyway.

As it turned out there was an AnimeCon the same weekend which our TO was working till 4 PM, so the Tournament, which is normally scheduled for 2 PM was postponed until 5 PM. Some of the fellows who play regularly didn't show up because of the convention, some didn't show up because of the time change, so our normally larger group was reduced to five players, and Jim, our TO, didn't show up until 10 minutes before the event was scheduled to start, and looked absolutely beat.

The fellow whose Federation build gave me so much grief in the last OP was one of the five, but like Jim, he too looked beat, having arrived, I think well in advance of our regular play time (2 PM), and having amused himself till then by playing HeroClix miniatures with other gamers until now. I expect several factors played into his decision to skip the tournament but foremost amongst these was the fact that he had won this event before, and none of the others who had shown up had yet to win it. The idea of playing and possibly robbing one of us of the ship wasn't one he cherished, and besides, his wife was likely expecting him about now, and he was tired.

I was both sad and happy to see him go. Sad, because I wanted to try my build against his previous build and see whether I couldn't convince him again that Klingons shouldn't be underestimated, and happy because I am in the running for the grand prize, and it was looking to be a three way battle for the victory if he played and won the tournament.

So Jim (the TO) decided that because there would only be four of us playing, we would make it two rounds, and everyone would get a Bye. We would split into pairs randomly, for the first round, and the second round would pit the winners of the first round against one another for the win, while the two non-winners (we decided that was better than calling them losers) would battle it out for the fleet and battle points.

My first draw was with Scott - a soft spoken gentleman who is always a treat to play with as he is both a thoughtful player and a good solid opponent. He was actually the first fellow I every played against in an OP event, and was very helpful in talking me through the stress of my first OP event. He played a Romulan fleet back then, and was playing another Romulan fleet at this tournament.

I didn't really pay a lot of attention to his fleet, but I do recall that he was using a sideboard with a Romulan Commander and an Interphase Generator on it. It probably had more on it, but I don't recall him managing to get anything else on it.

His Valdore was captained by a skill 7 that I am pretty sure was Toreth. He also flew a a D'Deridex Captained by Donatra, and a Bird of Prey with some lower skilled Captain (Toreth maybe?). Which meant that when we set up one of my Vorcha's and the K'Vort would place first, then his Bird of Prey, then my other Vor'Cha (with Worf), then his D'Deridex and finally his Valdore.

We set up the Orbital Weapons Platforms first. All six were in a row midway between us from left to right (see A through F below).

He had Donatra on the D'Deridex, and a on the Valdore, he had a lower skilled captain on the Bird of Prey (Tomalak maybe?)

We set up in the order you see below (1 through 6), I placed the K'Vort in the dead center of the map against the edge facing Scott's side, then placed the first Vor'Cha (the zero Captain Skill one) about five inches in from my right side, along the bottom edge, facing my K'Vort. He then placed his Bird of Prey off center to my left a little, and pulled up closer to the line of scrimmage, Then I placed Worf's Vor'Cha in opposite the other Vor'Cha(mirrored as it were) to my left, facing toward the K'Vort in the center as well. Scott them placed his D'Deridex, and then His Valdore, as see below:

The D B and V for his ships refer to the (D)'Deridex, the (B)ird of Prey and the (Valdore). The W, K and N for my ships refer to (W)orf's Vorcha, the (K)'Vort, and the Vor'Cha with the (N)o-Name Captain.

+---- Setup --------------------------------------------------+
| |
| +-+ +-+ +-+ |
| |D| |B| |V| |
| - - - - - - - +-+ - +-+ - +-+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |
| 5 3 6 Scott's Romulan Fleet |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| A B C D E F |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| My Klingon Fleet |
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |
| 4 1 2 |
| +-+ +-+ +-+ |
| |W|- |K| -|N| |
+----+-+---------------------+-+-----------------------+-+----+

Our first moves were pretty safe. I moved banked (3) both Vor'Chas intending to eventually bring them along side of the K'Vort Flagship on the next move, Cloaking all my ships. Scott pulled each ship forward one, swapping out the Captain on his Bird of Prey for the Romulan Commander, and cloaking his other two ships.

The map looked like this after we moved:

+---- END OF ROUND ONE ---------------------------------------+
| |
| |
| (c) (c) |
| - - - - - - - +-+ - +-+ - +-+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |
| |D| |B| |V| |
| +-+ +-+ +-+ |
| | | | |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| A B C D E F |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | |
| - - - - - - +-+ - - - - - +-+ - - - - - - +-+ - - - - - - |
| |W|- |K| -|N| |
| +-+ +-+ +-+ |
| (c) (c) (c) |
+-------------------------------------------------------------+

In Round Two, I was moving my whole fleet before Scott would move his.

I pulled the K'Vort forward another inch, and gave it an evade, then the pulled the Vor'Cha on the right along the right side the K'Vort with a bank (2) maneuver, and did the same with Worf's Vor'Cha, bringing it along the left side of the K'Vort about an inch away. I gave evades to both Vor'Cha's as well.

Scott crept forward another inch, pulling an Interphase Generator off the side Board for (I think it was) Donatra's D'Deridex. He took an evade for both the Bird of Prey and the Valdore.

At this point (see below) Scott was in range of a couple of OWPs, and because he had initiative, he had to choose to either hope that I would generously shoot them before they shot him, or take matters into his own hands. Shot took out one of the OWPs (designated as C in the previous renderings), and took off the mission token for the OWP designated as "B" in the above renderings.

I, opted not to fire this round.

+---- END OF ROUND TWO ---------------------------------------+
| |
| |
| |
| |
| (c) (e) (e) |
| +-+ +-+ +-+ |
| |D| |B| |V| |
| +-+ +-+ +-+ |
| | | | |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| A * D E F |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | | | |
| +-+ +-+ +-+ |
| |W| |K| |N| |
| - - - - - - - - - - +-+ - +-+ - +-+ - - - - - - - - - - - |
| (e/c) (e/c) (e/c) |
| |
| |

Because I moved first, I had to decide whether I was going to inch along, and let Scott handle the other OWP before engaging me, or come in as close as possible, and begin the fight. I reasoned that since his cloaks were down on two of the ships, I would come in cannons a'blazin'. Pulling the same 3 Bank with all my ships, I pulled into his path, and was able to get all ships Target Locked on his Bird of Prey, which I didn't really check out, but leery that it may suddenly drop a cloaked mine or something (I really should have just checked his build) I decided to take it out first.

Scott in his turn banked into the remaining OWP with his D'Deridex (a one or a two maneuver), leaving all my ships out of its firing arc. The other two ships crept on forward, a one or two maneuver, and Target Locked Worf's Vor'Cha.

Scott fired first. The D'Deridex had no arc on any of my ships, but was looking to take fire from both OWP-A and OWP-B, so it fired on, and finished off OWP-B. Scott rolled an attack with the Valdore against Worf, managing only three hits which Worf evaded by way of a well rolled defence. Next up was the Bird of Prey, which managed to roll only two hits against Worf, who evaded Both. Scott glanced up at heaven with an inquiry in his brow at this, but all in silence.

My three gunships opened on the Bird of Prey, spending their target locks to melt it into oblivion. So much for the Romulan commander.

OWP-A took a shot at Scott's D'Deridex, which avoided damage, and OWP-D took a shot at my no-name Vor'Cha, which likewise avoided damage.

+---- END OF ACTION PHASE: ROUND THREE -----------------------+
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| (tlk) |
| (tlw) |
| +-+ (tln) |
| |D| +-+ +-+ |
| +-+ |B| |V| |
| / +-+ +-+ |
| | | |
| A * \ D E F |
| +-+ |
| \ (c)|N| |
| +-+ +-+ |
| \ (c)|K| |
| +-+ +-+ |
| (c)|W| |
| +-+ |
| (tlv) |
| (tlb) |
| |
| |
| |
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |
| |
| |
| |

In Round Four, I turned my Klingons in to focus on the Valdore, executing a speed Bank 1 (right) for all three Klingon ships, anticipating getting in the Valdore's way to possibly bump it if Scott moved it forward. Scott in his turn banked the D'Deridex away from the melee, and behind my ships, once again not gaining any arc. I think he pulled something of the SideBoard but at that point, it didn't look good for him. The Valdore pulled forward, and bumped my no-Name Vorcha, losing actions and being forced to sit patiently through another target locked, Romulan slaying volley from my Klingon fleet. His Valdore was not out of the picture, leaving only the D'Deridex.

The only downside of destroying the Valdore in this round was that the Valdore was no longer the closest ship to OWP-D, which took a shot at the No-Name Vorcha - removing both shields. (Ouch!)

+---- END OF ACTION PHASE ROUND FOUR -------------------------+
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| (tln) |
| (tlk) |
| (tlw) |
| +-+ |
| |V| |
| / / +-+ |
| +-+ +-+ +-+ |
| A |W| |K| |N| D E F |
| +-+ +-+ +-+ |
| +-+ |
| |D| |
| +-+ |
| \ |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

As can be expected, my Klingons chose to do a come about maneuver (3), so as to put the D'Deridex in their sights, and move away from the offending OWP-D.

Scott turned his D'Deridex in behind my fleet, perhaps hoping to take out one of my ships in a pass. Until this point, the D'Deridex hadn't taken any shots from my ships, but it was rolling a lot of defence dice against the OWPs.

Swinging in, it shot first, and did some damage to Worf's Vor'Cha. Not enough to take Worf out, but enough to put him in jeopardy.

Having Shields up, and no chance to Target Lock Because the D'Deridex was cloaked, the Klingon should not have been able to take out the D'Deridex that round, but Scott's defensive rolls were weak, and the Klingon Attack rolls were sufficient to penetrate the D'Deridex's defence.

First Game: Klingon Victory 100 pts vs. 0 pts.

+---- END OF ACTION PHASE ROUND FIVE -------------------------+
| |
| |
| |
| +-+ +-+ +-+ |
| |W| |K| |N| |
| +-+ +-+ +-+ |
| | | | |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | |
| +-+ |
| A |D| D E F |
| +-+ |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

My next round was with Adam, who normally plays a federation build, but decided upon a two Klingon ship build for this OP.

One was the K'Vort class Koraga, the other the Vor'Cha class Maht-H'a. We set the OWPs in a cluster (more or less) in the center of the Board. I set up my ships identically to my set up in my game with Scott, and to make a long story short, he lined up to his right (my left) of the OWPs, and as he crossed the board towards me he was taking out OWPs.

We began our joust in the fourth round, about the time he had taken enough hits clearing some of the debris, and I was able to bring my ships into a jousting position. He wasn't cloaked because he had been shooting at the OWPs, and I was, so the first shots did damage on both side, but as his ships were already a little weakened, and as I was bringing more guns to the table, I managed to take out one of his ships in the first pass, but not before taking a lot of damage from a combination of his fire and the OWP fire. Both my Vor'Cha's were hanging on by a thread, while his remaining Vor'Cha was unscathed.

I inched forward the next round, close enough to use the PSF I had intended only for taking out alpha Strikers - but it gave itself to this task well enough. I moved first, PSF'ed his Vor'Cha, he moved forward and bumped my K'Vort. My other ships Target Locked that Round, and we all opened up and rolling well, finished the Vor'Cha in the fifth Round.

End of Game and End of Tournament.

I didn't get a chance to play Bill, the other fellow. He was playing a Federation build, but wasn't having much success with it, as Scott took him down in their round for his own 100 pt. vs. 0 Pt. victory.

It was fun playing with a few less people, as it was a great deal quieter, and we were able to sit at one large table, and talk as a group as we played, even watching one another's games.

Since Jim had expected a larger turnout, he had two kits, and six prizes - so we all got a prize! (Yay for Jim!). That is one of the reason I really like my FLGS - the guys are all great, and the TO is just awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great detailed report but it would have been a lot easier for you if you'd just taken and posted some normal pictures!

Still, impressed by the amount of work you've put into drafting some sort of visual information about the battles! Congrats on winning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Great detailed report but it would have been a lot easier for you if you'd just taken and posted some normal pictures!

Still, impressed by the amount of work you've put into drafting some sort of visual information about the battles! Congrats on winning!

I had intended to take photos of the matches, but when we actually got to playing, I totally forgot. Then I got the idea that I could visually represent the rounds using text characters, but that got old fast, especially in one situation in the first round where the reason Scott targeted Worf's Vor'Cha was because that one ship was the only ship that both his ships had arc on. No matter how I tried to frame that in ASCII, it came up looking like the ships ought to have arc on every one of my ships. I tried for almost half an hour to model that situation - even drawing up stuff on paper I had at hand, but I couldn't get that to show properly unless I enlarged the map to the point where it was a hassle both to make, and to look at.

But, as I didn't have the photos, I thought I would try it and see. You'll note the second round has no such visual help - that's because the first round wore me out, and the second round was pretty quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great batrep, Dan. Sorry I missed this one. I prefer smaller tournies myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtrooper721 wrote:
Great batrep, Dan. Sorry I missed this one. I prefer smaller tournies myself.

I am really looking forward to the finale. Not so much for Collective OP1. I will probably play a mixed fleet for that - Dominion probably, but maybe Fed or Klingon or both. I wouldn't mind trying out three cruisers. Jim is going to let us bring 100 pt. build, and just give us the boosters after the tournament. Ship pure, no Spheres or cubes. I can live with that, but since we haven't played it yet, I don't feel the same sense of investment.

It'll be fun though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I always enjoy a good batrep. I also like to play in smaller groups. Ours always runs 5-8 players. We all get along and I have never failed to have fun.

You know, it sounds silly to say this but I like a good "old-school" Attack Wing battle. The last two ships I bought were the Gr'Oth and Kronos One. They are a lot of fun to play. I wish I bought a Negh'Var while the store still had them in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.