Popular Tags: [View All]
Nico
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

my girlfriend and i just played Rexan(me) against Kajia(her)

At one point, Kajia had Rexan cornered, and she anted one of his course tokens. Also Rexan had Insect tokens in his discard piles.
Now we revealed our attack pairs and got Unyielding(Rexan) vs Swarming(Kajia), (bases aren't important).

On Unyielding it says:
"The range of this attack also includes spaces occupied by opponents who anted at least one Curse Token this beat".

On Swarming it says:
"An opponent with Insect Counters in one discard pile cannot hit you at Range 1."

While Rexan was at Range 1, i would aggree that he can't hit Kajia, but "Unyielding" states that Kajias space would also count as in range, which would be technically Range 0.

So the question is: Can Rexan hit her?

Thanks in advance!

Btw. i lost that match because of those filthy insects and a bad call on my end to Rexans "Zero Hour" Finisher

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Racah
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Spaces in range do not become range 0.
In fact, for most attacks, range 0 is not in range (the minimum range is usually 1 or more).

In the beat you described, Kajia is in range because of Unyielding, but the range is 1, so Rexan misses because of swarming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what you're saying about Range 0.

Rexan's attack includes Kajia's space in its range. Depending on the base, it might include that space even without the effect you quoted. But in any case, she's in the attack's range.

That attack is an attack from Range 1 (i.e. an attack by Rexan, who is in an adjacent space). Therefore, Swarming prevents the attack from hitting her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have anything to add, except I get what you mean about range 0. But it doesn't work that way. Sure, it's range 0 from the token, but that's not what you're supposed to be measuring.

It's still Range 1. The opponent's space is automatically "within range" of the attack. However, that space may likely be in range anyway, so that effect may not even matter. Either way, the opponent is DEFINITELY within range of your attack.

But the attack will still miss. It's still Range 1 and Swarming would apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers and clarifications.

The more i think about it, the more i realize how stupid my assumption was.
I think i read into it a similar effect like "count the range from that position" like Karin can with Jager. Also i think, which might not be 100% accurate, but reading it like that makes more sense to me now: "Cannot hit you at range 1" doesn't mean "If the enemy has you in range 1" it means "Cannot hit you if you are in range 1". Not that it matters in that case, but in my weird way of understanding things, it makes sense even in that case to clear up my confusion.

Thanks again!

Now on to Round 2, while wielding a flyswatter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.