Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this over the weekend, and after the 2nd turn neither of us never had more than one card in our hands. It made the game basically impossible. Am I doing something wrong? Are we supposed to draw back up to 4 cards or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only play one card per turn.

More information might help if that doesn't solve your issue.

A player's turn goes as follows:

*Start of turn effects*
Play a card
Use a power
Draw a card
*End of turn effects*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You play one card during your turn and draw one at the end…

Edit: ninja'ed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a few times in the environment deck where we had to discard our hands or several cards, so we ended up with only one card on a given turn. It just seemed like we were getting hammered, and with no cards it was a pretty frustrating experience. (We were using Omnitron and the Atlantis environment...was this a terrible first starting villain/environment?

Guess we will give it another go, but between the villain deck and the environment deck it was just one terrible thing after another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's a pretty unlucky (and thankfully rare) way to start a game. And remember, you can always skip your Play and Power steps to draw an extra card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
ironhide1 wrote:
Depends on the situation.

I had a battle with Citizen Dawn once where the opening Citizen draw + one of her card plays left us all with 0 Cards in hand before the heroes were able to do anything. With the chosen group of heroes, without cards no damage could be done, and at the end of every villain the heroes would once again lose all of their cards. It was an unfortunate opening draw, but it can happen.

Would need more details on the specifics of your situation though to say for sure.

SotM is a pretty steady level of difficulty, especially if you follow the difficulty ratings. Even then there are situations that fall on the fringes of the bell curve.

Ironhide1's experience is a perfect example this, as is yours, JohnnyR.

You will probably have better luck playing the exact same setup.

You did say "neither of us". Were you playing with only 2 heroes (2 players)?

If so, SotM will be pretty difficult. Most people recommend playing 2 heroes each in a 2 player game (4 heroes total) or the more knowledgeable player playing 2 (for a total of 3).

The game is relatively balanced with 3-5 heroes. 3 Hero games are usually a little more difficult and 5 hero games are a little easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Discarding your entire hand is never a requirement - it is often a cost for destroying an environment card, but when it is it is often better to hold onto your cards and wait until you have some environment destruction in hand. Omnitron has a card that gives him a power to destroy an environment card, and it is almost always better to use that than to discard an entire hand.

Granted sometimes villains do make you discard several cards, and that can't be avoided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Arnold
Canada
Halifax
NS
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron Legacy can make you discard H cards, which at the start of the game can be your entire hand. So not technically "your hand" but practically so =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally you have an option to take damage rather than discard but regardless, if you don't play a card or use a power you get to draw two cards at the end of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
The game is relatively balanced with 3-5 heroes. 3 Hero games are usually a little more difficult and 5 hero games are a little easier.

Not relatively. It is absolutely balanced for 3-5 heros. 2 hero's is not a supported game format.

And 3 hero games for the majority of villains are actually easier than 5 (there are a few exceptions). 3 hero games being harder is a myth.

Source: I've played this game A LOT for years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigfoote wrote:
JBMoby wrote:

Not relatively. It is absolutely balanced for 3-5 heros.

My intent in using "relatively" was to convey that not all villains are the same difficulty and not all heroes will shine in a given environment or against certain villains.

Some easy examples would be:

- Villains or environments that destroy equipment and equipment dependent heroes.

- Any villain that hits "all hero targets" on a regular basis will wipe out the Sentinels.

Bigfoote wrote:
2 hero's is not a supported game format.

I never said that two heroes was a supported format. I said that if you are playing with two players to play with three or four heroes.

That said, there is a story challenge to win with two heroes (Two Man Army).

As to whether the game is easier with three or five heroes - my experience is that games with more heroes is easier, and I must disagree with you until my experience proves otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin 2
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ironhide1 wrote:
I had a battle with Citizen Dawn once where the opening Citizen draw + one of her card plays left us all with 0 Cards in hand before the heroes were able to do anything. With the chosen group of heroes, without cards no damage could be done, and at the end of every villain the heroes would once again lose all of their cards. It was an unfortunate opening draw, but it can happen.

Yep, we had this exact thing happen to us one game. We hung on for a long time but were never really able to make any progress against Citizen Dawn that game.

A real oddity out of all the many many games we've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
I never said that two heroes was a supported format. I said that if you are playing with two players to play with three or four heroes.

As to whether the game is easier with three or five heroes - my experience is that games with more heroes is easier, and I must disagree with you until my experience proves otherwise.

Sorry, I didn't mean imply that you said 2 heros were a supported format. I was just stressing that for others. I came across the wrong the way.

And about the difficulty of H=3 vs H=5, I understand that we are all going to have different experiences. But long story short, in lower H games and how the majority of villains and environments have damage scaling based off H (again, not all obviously), things like damage reduction become more way more valuable and are able to not only just mitigate villain damage, but prevent it outright more easily. The difference in taking 1 or 0 damage is much more significant than the difference in taking 3 or 4. This is just one example of how mechanically H=3 games can be easier, there are others. But as always, this will vary depending on team make-up, villain choice, and environment choice. Chairman for example will always be harder on H=3 than H=5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.