Ryan Werntz
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I haven't been able to find any starters, I did manage to obtain a set of common and uncommon cards as well as four of each die. (minus the starter dice, I only have one of each and the uncommon card that goes with it) I'd like to put together a couple of teams that will make the game easy to teach to casual gamers (i.e. family members and friends I have over for dinner and game night) and still be robust enough to give a good feeling for how the game works.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm hoping that the two teams would be fairly evenly matched. I realize I can't play without the basic dice from the starter, but I've figured out a way to solve that with a bunch of six-sided dice I have laying around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a bit unorthodox approach, but to make it fair, this is how I played a dual match-up against my wife. We placed the cards in the center and dice on both sides. We could only buy dice that was on our side of the card.

This gave us the ability to have an even game. We had the same cards so there was no deck advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually surprised there haven't been more posts asking for this.

It sort of goes into what the most recent "Dad's Perspective" review had a problem with - that you can't introduce that game to people that don't really know the cards.

And while I agree with Havok's approach, I think the community should easily be able to develop some "starter decks". Although I'm not sure I'd use all 8 characters. I might recommend starting with a 6 character / 15 dice game.

All that said, I haven't come up with anything straight away (sorry), but we will definitely be discussing this on an upcoming episode of the Bachelors of Dice podcast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Side note, if you are playing at home, I would go to Coolstuffinc.com and use their pictures to create proxies of cards. We did that for a while too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its hard to recommend a starter deck not knowing what you have, but here is a suggestion at least to get the ball rolling. Note these are all commons. Replace whatever you want if you have something better. If you have Storm Wind-Rider, Human Torch-Johnny Storm, or Beast-Kreature, I would put them in.

Print Proxies for the Basic Action Cards:
Distraction: For each character you have, your opponent targets one of his or her characters. Those characters cannot block. Global: Pay [1 Mask] to remove one attacker from the attack zone to the field.
Force Beam: Deal 1 damage to each character. *Deal 1 extra damage to each character. **Deal 1 extra damage to each player and each character.

Green Goblin-Goblin Lord: While Green Goblin is active, your Sidekick characters get +1A and +1D (no matter how many Green Goblin dice you have fielded). If you have a lot of Sidekicks fielded, this gets pretty nasty.

Hawkeye-Longbow: When fielded, Hawkeye deals his attack value in damage to a target opposing character. Allows you to shoot and KO quite a few different characters.

Mr. Fantastic: Mr. Fantastic gets +2A and +2D while blocking. Global: Pay [1 Mask]. Target character must attack this turn. Forces your opponent to attack with a character you want to get off the board.

Punisher-McRook: When Punisher assigns to attack, knock out one target opposing character. Your opponent may prevent this effect by paying 2 life. Allows you to KO a character.

Gambit-Ace in the Hole: When fielded, you may draw and roll one die (place it in your reserve pool). Draws dice.

Thing-Ever-Lovin' Blue Eyed: At the start of the attack step, if your opponent has more fielded characters than you, Thing can't be blocked and takes no damage while blocking. Can be unblock-able.

Everyone will have a different opinion, but these cards all have a cool mechanic and counters against each other pretty well too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Werntz
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations. Just to be clear, I have 4 of every die (except the characters that come in the starter which I have 1 die of each) and all of the common and uncommon cards.

My main objective is to get my wife interested in the game. I know she won't do any research on cards or team builds. Given the chance, she'll pick all the female characters without regard to the cost or anything else and decide she doesn't like the game because the random team doesn't work well. I'd obviously like to avoid that. If I bring two teams to the table that are fairly straight forward to play, I'm sure it will go over better. I have only watched the game played on videos, so I'd just be pulling at straws to try to put a team together myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
red13 wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations. Just to be clear, I have 4 of every die (except the characters that come in the starter which I have 1 die of each) and all of the common and uncommon cards.

My main objective is to get my wife interested in the game. I know she won't do any research on cards or team builds. Given the chance, she'll pick all the female characters without regard to the cost or anything else and decide she doesn't like the game because the random team doesn't work well. I'd obviously like to avoid that. If I bring two teams to the table that are fairly straight forward to play, I'm sure it will go over better. I have only watched the game played on videos, so I'd just be pulling at straws to try to put a team together myself.

Black Widow... Rogue... Mystique... Phoenix... Storm...

Gambit, Human Torch, Mr Fantastic, and Ghost Rider might compliment these nicely...

The next set will bring in Emma Frost... Psylocke... Marvel Girl... and Scarlet Witch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Judnick
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "starting game" in the rule book is something like Beast #666 and Capt. America +1/+1 Side Kicks vs. A Torch and a Spidey.

The equivalent of the Cap. is the Green Goblin that was mentioned previously.

I'd go for cards with little text, and easy to manage abilities at first.

Set your first game up like this:

All common cards:
Angel and Ghost Rider VS. Gambit and Green Goblin

Play with 20 life.

Once you are getting bored, or have bought up the majority of your dice, add another card to each pool. I'd recommend
Common Deadpool
Common Punisher
Common Hawkeye
Common Vibranium Shield (for Global Practice).

After that, keep adding cards if you want, or play until a winner is declared. This should be enough for each of you to get a grasp of basic turn order and structure.
From there, feel free to include pretty much any card that doesn't seem confusing. I'd almost just shuffle them and deal 4ish to each player, then the player can choose one or two they'd like to add.

There are MANY options here, even with just a common and uncommon set. Don't be afraid to do a slow build.

Lastly, if you want her to win, give her some of the more powerful cards like Storm and Torch (even with 1 die, very powerful), and Hawkeye Longbow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
Why not just go Dominion-style? A number of cards with the same number of dice on each, all available to both players. If one player manages to buy more of one type than the other, then tough luck! 10 cards with 3 dice, 15 life each, seems reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Stewart
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I teach the game I try to avoid any character cards with Globals. Sometimes I don't even use basic actions for the first game. Then I introduce those after someone has had a chance to learn the fundamentals of buying and fielding dice and using them for combat.

For starting characters I always give the new person the Common Ghost Rider, since there is some comfort to the new player in knowing they don't have to worry about special abilities, they can just buy him and go. The Nick Fury who fields Avengers for free is also a nice card because that ability is so straightforward and avoids a lot of the on-the-go accounting that is involved with the cards that give bonuses to attack and defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Trumbo
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically when I teach the game I have the person pick two characters that they like and suggest they grab one that's 2-4 cost, and another that's 5+. Then I pick my characters and we play a game with 10 life points; it tends to go quickly and gives them a taste for how the game works. I also try to discourage globals in the first play, or just ignore them.

My gamer friends will immediately start looking for synergies in their next team, while the more casual players will either be content to stick with what they have or they'll look for other characters they like as we up the number of dice/cards. Either way, everyone I've played the game with so far has enjoyed it enough to play several rounds, time permitting.

It's such a quick game that I find it works well to start off really simply, and then ramp it up based on the person you're playing with. And I prefer to let them pick their own team instead of giving them one; if they have a hand-selected team they feel like they should be able to win with it and may get discouraged when they don't, instead of just having fun learning with Storm and The Hulk because they like Storm and The Hulk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.