Subject: Russian Front rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mauro Bertolino
Italy
Cuneo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anybody already tried the new version?
I'm particularly interested in how the game treats the Eastern Front. Historically, between August 1944 and January 1945 little happened around Warsaw on the Vistula, and then in a couple of weeks the front shifted to the Oder.
I'm interested in the game, but not if it models the Eastern part like the old SPI "Battle for Germany" did, with a slow but continuous Soviet advance, when the history was made of rapid advances followed by lulls to replenish supplies.
Any experiences already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know it was out yet. I haven't received my preorder copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played my copy yet but this issue is explicitly addressed by Dean Essig in the Designer's Notes for the expansion. He created a random HQ activation mechanism to prevent the Soviets from moving forward every turn, since in reality they were at the end of their logistical tether. As this was his primary stated concern in designing the expansion, one hopes the solution has been well-tested and shown to work.

I'm looking forward to trying it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ER, I hope that you quickly roll a 5 on your surgery recovery roll!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
albaron wrote:
Has anybody already tried the new version?
I'm particularly interested in how the game treats the Eastern Front. Historically, between August 1944 and January 1945 little happened around Warsaw on the Vistula, and then in a couple of weeks the front shifted to the Oder.
I'm interested in the game, but not if it models the Eastern part like the old SPI "Battle for Germany" did, with a slow but continuous Soviet advance, when the history was made of rapid advances followed by lulls to replenish supplies.
Any experiences already?

Others have already mentioned the Soviet unit activation restrictions. When the Soviet HQ's do activate, they are a massive unstoppable force... but brief. Losses are doubled to show the massive preparation and artillery barrages. This represents the Vistula and Oder offensives well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ermj1986 wrote:
One thing the game does is has Soviet HQ provide attack supply. Soviet Units must be in range of an HQ to get attack supply and the HQ can only activate (provide attack supply) on a die roll of 5-6. Not much happens other than movement when the HQ is inactive.

The Soviets cannot automatically attack each turn. They seem to go in fits and starts based on each die roll to activate the particular HQs.

Don't forget the Soviet HQ's stay in attack mode once activated until a unit use the HQ to attack or overrun. If you suspend offensive operations for a turn or two and wait until you have multiple HQs in attack mode, you can then attack in a broad front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taskforce wrote:

Don't forget the Soviet HQ's stay in attack mode once activated until a unit use the HQ to attack or overrun. If you suspend offensive operations for a turn or two and wait until you have multiple HQs in attack mode, you can then attack in a broad front.

Yes, this is an important point. You can create tension for the East Germans by having an attack capable HQ ready and either use it immediately or wait for a multi Front attack which nearly obliterates the German line. The Germans need to keep reserves and their Panzer Divisions are basically the saviors of the German Army as they race back and forth to the new threats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Bertolino
Italy
Cuneo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the prompt and more than satisfying replies.
It will be soon added to my SCS collection!

Quote:
I had surgery this week so I am on hold besides.

Well, I have currently only one leg and one hand available, the rest being plastered for a skiing accident, so I partially can understand. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope that you soon roll a 5 on your bone-knitting roll!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.