Eric Steiger
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) Please let me know if I'm correct: the "Basic-only" requirement for initial decks only applies to character decks, not locations, right? Location decks are built from all of the cards of the appropriate types in the box. Then, as you progress down the Adventure Path, you start removing any Basic banes you defeat "from the box" in Pack 3. But any that haven't been removed could still show up in a later adventure.

2) Is there any way to play the Skull & Shackles Adventure Path without buying an entirely new base set? I'm sure the cards are different, but I'm not wild about each $60 base set only lasting through a single Adventure Path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Correct, basic only applies to the character decks and has no impact on location decks except as you noted for pack 3. (and you remove basic boons as well as banes that are banished, it's not just banes)

2) No, Skulls and Shackles is going to be a whole new game. It has different locations and mechanics. I'm sure someone might create custom adventures using cards from both, but if you want to play the adventure path you will need the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Steiger
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Taloncarde wrote:
1) Correct, basic only applies to the character decks and has no impact on location decks except as you noted for pack 3. (and you remove basic boons as well as banes that are banished, it's not just banes)

Right, but the basic boons you remove get banished from your character deck, not the locations, right? If there are any in the location deck, you still roll to acquire them as normal, and then just remove them from your deck at the end of the game when you rebuild (so it seems possible that they could show up again in locations).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall after pack 3 the Boons that get banished (from either character decks or locations) are removed from the game entirely, if there is an additional copy it may show up at some point but the card itself that gets banished id just gone ( use a separate box or something to keep them in)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil Young
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its important to note that "base set" is a bit misleading, in that it is not exactly the same as the RotR base set. The Skull & Shackles base set will have items, weapons, armor, monsters, barriers, locations and other card types all based on the pirate and island adventures theme. Plus, they add ships and fleets. There may be some overlap with RotR base set cards, but in the demos that I have seen so far there isn't as much as you might think.

If you consider the S&S base set as the equivalent of 4-5 expansions (essentially over 500 mostly new cards) then the price tag is actually a bargain. Also, check out the current price on Amazon if the $60 price tag is too much to take in. At under $40, its much easier to commit. There is good and bad about Amazon, but their price is hard to beat. Your local FLGS may also have a competitive price if you don't have Amazon Prime for the free shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until Hook Mountain Massacre (Deck 3) "banish" just means put back in the box.

So when you use a boon that requires you to banish it (Potion of Healing for example) it goes back in the box. If you fail to acquire a boon from a location deck, it gets banished and goes back in the box. If you defeat a bane, it gets banished and goes back in the box.

At the end of the scenario, when you are rebuilding your character deck, any cards you don't keep are put back in the box, but not technically banished.

After you start Hook Mountain Massacre, when ever you banish a boon with the Basic trait (not deck B, but the Basic trait in the upper left corner), you can remove it from the game, meaning don't mix it back in with the other boons in the box, but store it somewhere else so you will never use it to build a location deck again. You must do that with the Basic banes (it isn't optional).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil Young
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I don't feel like a total shill for Amazon, I will point out that other sites have some really competitive pricing on S&S pre-orders as well. For example Cool Stuff Inc. has it for $39.99. Not sure what the shipping would be, but if you're inclined to order other things, whether its the class decks for PACG or just other games or... cool stuff, you can get free shipping from there if you order totals over $100.

Link at CoolStuff
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/200498

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Steiger
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
greyhawke115 wrote:
So I don't feel like a total shill for Amazon, I will point out that other sites have some really competitive pricing on S&S pre-orders as well. For example Cool Stuff Inc. has it for $39.99. Not sure what the shipping would be, but if you're inclined to order other things, whether its the class decks for PACG or just other games or... cool stuff, you can get free shipping from there if you order totals over $100.

Link at CoolStuff
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/200498

My FLGS is owned by one of my best friends, and we play there at least once a week. With very few exceptions, if I can't afford to pay retail, I don't buy.

That being said, I *just* picked up RotR, and haven't started the Adventure Path yet. If the whole experience is worth $180 (RotR + 5 APs + Character Pack), and has enough replayability that it won't just collect dust when S&S comes out, then I won't necessarily be opposed to doing it all over again.

Alternatively, it takes me a year to finish the entire RotR path, and by that point, I buy S&S used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayroomEJS wrote:
2) Is there any way to play the Skull & Shackles Adventure Path without buying an entirely new base set? I'm sure the cards are different, but I'm not wild about each $60 base set only lasting through a single Adventure Path.

That is a LOT of content, though--33 scenarios and thousands of cards. I wouldn't use the word "only" there.

Is there any way you can divide the cost of the base set among the people you'll be playing with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And there is nothing wrong with waiting for Skulls and Shackles, I doubt they are going to only sell a few copies and then close up shop, you'll have plenty of time to get into it in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
PlayroomEJS wrote:

That is a LOT of content, though--33 scenarios and thousands of cards. I wouldn't use the word "only" there.

Is there any way you can divide the cost of the base set among the people you'll be playing with?

It's replayable and maybe you can share the cost, but realistically it's going to be something you play out once or twice and then move on to S&S or whatever "next" adventure path is out. That means that for gaming, it's a pretty expensive proposition. Not nearly on the scale of a movie or a sporting event or the theatre, but for gaming its dollar per hour value is pretty low compared to games where you buy it once and replay it indefinitely.

I'm not ragging on the cost: for my groups it was money well spent even if we don't replay the paths. But it's not one of my cheaper hourly rates on games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno - I've played through the end of the 5th AP with three different parties of 4 at this point. I also started a new party with every new AP released. I'd say I've gotten excellent value per dollar on it. Maybe I'm just an addict...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Uthus
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:

Actually it's 35 scenarios, as they have increased the intro adventure to five scenarios.

Oh, and the S&S will be used in the first season of organized play, where scenarios also will be sold as pdf's every month giving it even more scenarios to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.