Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Shiels
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I successfully close a gate with the same dimensional symbol as a rift marker, does the rift marker go back onto the rift track, or is the only way to close a rift still to turn over all 4 tokens on the rift track?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The rift is only closed when all four rift markers are turned face down. The four rift markers are then removed from the board and put back in the pile of tokens.

If a rift token is flipped over as a result of that location having been encountered by an investigator and that symbol appears on a subsequent Mythos card, that token is flipped back over and that location must be encountered again.

This explanation seems a little confusing to me, and I wrote it.

To clarify: Normally, when there are fewer than four tokens and a location is explored, that corresponding token is removed from the board.

When there are four tokens and the rift appears, the tokens stay on the board and are flipped over when one of the four locations depicted on those tokens is explored.

When all four tokens are flipped over, the tokens are removed from the board and the rift placed back on the Kingsport board in its former location.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Shiels
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
My pleasure.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
If a rift token is flipped over as a result of that location having been encountered by an investigator and that symbol appears on a subsequent Mythos card, that token is flipped back over and that location must be encountered again.

This is not correct. Once a rift is open, the progress tokens don't get turned face-up again. All you can do is turn them face-down, until the rift is closed and the four are removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that it might be instructional to share the rules for reference.
on page 10 of the rules the designers wrote:
Each rift progress marker depicts a location in Kingsport where information about that rift may be found. If an investigator has an encounter at the depicted location, he has investigated that rift progress marker. If the rift associated with a rift progress marker is closed when a character investigates it, the rift progress marker is discarded back into the pile of rift progress markers, to be used again later. If the rift associated with the rift progress marker is open when a character investigates it, however, the rift progress marker is turned facedown. Once all four rift progress markers associated with an open rift have been turned facedown, the rift closes; the rift marker is returned to its Rift Track and the four rift progress markers are discarded to their pile.
Highlighting my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
apatheticexecutioner wrote:

This is not correct. Once a rift is open, the progress tokens don't get turned face-up again. All you can do is turn them face-down, until the rift is closed and the four are removed.

I must be using a variant, unknowingly. Or maybe it just seemed intuitive to flip it face up if the same symbol appeared.

Reading McCrispy's quoted material, it doesn't look as though the situation is addressed either way.

I think I'll still play the way I have been. I don't think a rift should be automatically closeable in four turns and a free pass given if the same symbol appears.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say to place a new progress token when the space is empty. They do not say what to do when the space is not empty.

What happens when both tokens on the same track are face-down and the symbols match on the Mythos card? Which one do you flip face-up again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
The rules say to place a new progress token when the space is empty. They do not say what to do when the space is not empty.

What happens when both tokens on the same track are face-down and the symbols match on the Mythos card? Which one do you flip face-up again?

I don't think I've ever had it come up. I might roll a die if it does. What I usually do is get another investigator up there to get things under control quickly so that the token doesn't flip back or, if it does, it isn't as devastating.

I re-read the rules the other day when we were discussing this and saw that a token is placed in an empty space. I probably thought it was implied that it would flip back.

In asking myself, though, why it wouldn't just be removed, the answer popped up that the space wasn't supposed to be refilled and the token there probably was permanently flipped until all of them were.

It still seems intuitive that the problem with the rift is in that specific location and the reappearance of the same symbols just meant that whatever the investigator did didn't do any good or the tear in the fabric of time and space was more severe than thought and more effort was going to be needed to close it.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matěj Jan Morávek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always played it so that once flipped by visiting the location, the token won't flip back. But if you play with enough investigators so you can send two of them to Kingsport, it may just make the game more challenging.

I can imagine it could be considered as not-game-breaking houserule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.