Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Collars
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it meta? I suppose it has to be although the goal was to design a fun game. Below is a brief history of the evolution of WBC The Board Game.

Way back in 2009 I was having a discussion with my co-designer, Joshua Githens, about the scenario design and playtesting work I was doing for the Combat Commander Series (which I still do). The main point of the discussion revolved around the difference between wargame vs eurogame designs. The former requiring historical research and the translation of that research to the table. While the latter at its most basic level is a mechanic or set of mechanics laid out over a theme of some sort. Joshua and I ultimately reached the conclusion that just about anything could be crafted into Euro. Since we were at that moment in a car on I-81 on our way to a game convention we decided almost in unison that a game about WBC was the perfect subject to test the eurogame theory on. So began out design journey. Little did we know that 5 years later there exists the possibility that the game may actually get published.

At its heart WBC TBG is a Worker Placement/Resource Management game. The "Workers" being the hours in a convention day that the player has available to allocate to attend that turn's "Games" which are randomly drawn at the start of the turn. The "Resources" are the Player's level of Fatigue and Hunger, advancing in a "Game" may result in increased levels of fatigue and hunger which equate to drm modifiers in future attempts to advance in a game. Player's manage their fatigue and hunger through the play of resource cards that are drawn and held in a Player Hand. Beware though there are hidden pitfalls in the decks that will negatively trip up a player, such real life situations as "The Dreaded Phone call from Home" or "The Failure to set the Clock". Mix in the ability to play negative cards against your opponents and presto a game is born. I have been pleasantly surprised by the depth of gameplay as the game has evolved.

One attribute of many of the games I enjoy playing is the angst generated when facing a difficult choice followed quickly by elation when the decision was correct or the crushing blow of failure when it was incorrect. WBC TBG elicits these same emotions, repeatedly and is probably why I enjoy the game so much. And while I understand that some may be unable to get past the topic I'm hopeful that many more will embrace the topic and experience the mirth, challenge, and fun that WBC TBG has to offer.

Good Gaming
BC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.