GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, my husband and I journeyed down the Anduin with Aragorn, Theodred, Legolas, Eowyn, Eleanor and Glorfindel. I am amazed how well we did, all things considered!

We've opened the first two AP in the Mirkwood series and have a single core set. Hubby plays Leadership/Tactics (and *loves* him some Beorn). I play Spirit/Lore.

Hubby's opening hand had a Steward of Gondor, so he kept it (for Legolas, of course). I had some low-cost goodies but no Forest Snare or threat reduction so I mulliganed. New hand still had no Forest Snare, but at least I had the Galadhrim's Greeting.

Setting up the staging area reveals nothing of much consequence. I believe there was one of those "damage all your characters if your threat is over 35" cards. I love seeing those before they hurt! Then the Hill Troll makes his appearance and things get serious.

So, away we quest. Legolas proudly named Steward of Gondor, planning to call on his good friend Beorn. We visit a location or two, face down a few goblins (or were they orcs) and greet the Galadhrim to lower our profile. Legolas buys Aragorn a Citadel Plate - which will later be essential to his survival. Eleanor learns to sing a song of Lore, and she and Glorfindel teach Aragorn about Self Preservation. A few minor allies join the party.

Just as the party hears of a Forest Snare available for hire, a Treachery increases the threat of anyone not actively questing. The Hill Troll takes notice. We realize that if we strike now, we can kill the Hill Troll in one fell swoop. So, we engage. Aragorn, armed with a Dunedain Warning and Citadel Plate, defends. Legolas, Theodred and Sneak Attacking Beorn strike the Hill Troll down! Beorn retreats into the bushes, waiting to rejoin the party.

The party boards a boat. As we sail along the river, a handful of allies raft out to join us. A Northern Tracker checks out some locations while Eleanor and the Red/Purple crew dispatch some crows, goblins and orcs. It seems like the rest of the trip will be smooth sailing. Then a Goblin Sniper sets up camp in a tree. Always busy with some minor enemy, there's little the party can do about him. Just as it seems like we might have a break to tackle the pesky pest, a second Goblin Sniper joins him. Now, neither can ever be engaged! And to make matters worse, another Hill Troll comes lumbering toward the river.

Inspiration strikes! Beorning Beekeeper can journey off to get his bees, stinging all monsters by the river. A call to Stand and Fight sees him back just long enough to summon more bees and sting those Goblin Snipers to death! As an added bonus, this severely injures a pesky Warg and, of course, the Hill Troll.

A Gondorian Spearman is called to defend and finishes off the Warg. Meanwhile, Aragorn defends against his second Hill Troll of the trip. Legolas, Theodred, Beorn and a crew of friends finish off the Troll.

Eowyn and Glorfindel have, meanwhile, been questing their hearts out, canceling the odd shadow effect and/or treachery.

Finally, we get to the end of the river journey. Having dealt with all of the monsters following the party it's just a question of who will be waiting for them. Crows. And a couple of locations.

Eowyn and Glorfindel quest some more then the crows are faced with 13 attack! They stand no chance. Thus, the party completes our mission successfully. What awaits next?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great report.

Goes to show that there are many ways to beat the troll beyond the most common suggestions. I think the key to reliably winning this scenario is to maximise the number of possible combinations which can come up, that way it's extremely likely at least one of them will.

Presumably you had Gandalf in the deck, he just didn't appear. You also had Forest Snare up your sleeve if necessary. I think my favourite is 2+ Gondorian Spearmen, Swift Strike, plus a Hero to take any damage left over. The troll takes 4 damage just for attacking, without dealing any damage!

Good job you had the beekeeper as backup, it sounds like it was your only option for beating the snipers! Other than a timely arrival of Gandalf that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Yes, we each run two copies of Gandalf in our decks. The previous few games, he'd always come to the rescue, so it was nice to see that the hard quests could be won even if he doesn't show up. Three of the "orc guards" in our last Escape from Dol Guldur were suspiciously Gandalf-y on the other side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.