Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
66 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] RiddleCraft [2014 Card Game Design Contest] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: a-voir [+] a2p [+] a4p [+] a3p [+] a5p [+] a6p [+] trad-heavy [+] [View All]
Ransom Christofferson
United States
Broomfield
COLORADO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

RiddleCraft - a game of wits and bluffing

Ages 12+
2-6 Players (3-6 recommended)
30+ minutes (~5 minutes per round)
Designed by Ransom Christofferson

Rules & cards | Rules & cards (ink saver) | [listitem=3325578]Geeklist item[/listitem]

This is a WIP entry for the 2014 Card Game Design Contest. I've already put much work into this game and consider it fairly polished, but I definitely still welcome your feedback and critique.

What makes this game unique?
The unique aspect of this game is that it focuses on creating riddles, in addition to answering them--the game cards can be combined to make countless different riddles. If you want to win the game, be prepared to either outwit our out-bluff your friends.

Story
On an archaeological expedition, you discover the ancient tome of riddles that you had long been searching for—sadly, its pages are torn to shreds beyond hope of reassembly. Your hopes dashed, you decide to raise your spirits by using the fragments of riddles that remain to hold a contest of wits and riddle-making with your friends at the local tavern...

Overview
All players collectively build one riddle together per round. The riddle grows more complicated with each player’s turn until one player challenges another to answer the riddle. Points are then exchanged according to whether the answer is valid. The player with the most points after several rounds wins the game.

Each card has a fragment of a riddle on it. These fragments can be put together to create riddles. The question you must answer for each riddle is: “What am I”?

Components
• Rulebook
• 124 cards
• 7 ✓ tokens and 7 ✗ tokens

... see the "Rules & cards" link at the top of the post for the rest of the rules.

Translations
The cards are available in:
• English
• French
• Spanish
• German
• Polish
• Chinese

Edit: added notes about translations.
Edit: changed components and some rules.
Edit: added notes about additional translations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read rules and cards and love it ! I totally want the game but I would have to translate it to french. Seems like a lot of work :-) Do you have a raw text file with only the cards text and a simple image of the card without any text ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the artwork and the theme, and so I'm very sorry to say that this game already exists: Such a Thing? (Although with some differences in the rules: No points are given, but instead you try to get rid of your cards; the loser of a challenge must take 3 cards.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ransom Christofferson
United States
Broomfield
COLORADO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MartinWin wrote:
this game already exists: Such a Thing?

Hah, wow, when I had the idea for this game, I searched for some time to try to find if the idea already existed, and to my surprise I found nothing (as the concept is essentially reverse "20 Questions")... albeit, I mostly searched using the keyword "riddle".
After the many iterations of rules I worked through, it's very interesting to see that the mechanics I finally decided on are nearly identical to Such a Thing's mechanics... I guess I feel validated that my rulemaking abilities are up to snuff.

I'd be very interested in seeing a list of all their cards. From the screenshots, it looks like many of the cards are very specific; for RiddleCraft, I purposely chose card text that had a balance between specific and generic, as cards that were too specific always led to one obvious answer, and a less interesting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ransom Christofferson
United States
Broomfield
COLORADO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
Read rules and cards and love it ! I totally want the game but I would have to translate it to french. Seems like a lot of work :-) Do you have a raw text file with only the cards text and a simple image of the card without any text ?

Yes, I do have these things. I also have a script which automatically places the text on the blank card image and saves an image of each card. If you're interested, I can send the text file to you to translate, and run the translated text through the script when I get the translation back from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, I'm interested !

Edit: an also interested in discussing your script, what does it use ? nanDeck or such a tool or is a custom homemade script ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ransom Christofferson
United States
Broomfield
COLORADO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The script is Photoshop's built-in scripting and data tools. I considered using AutoHotKey but I am mostly unfamiliar with their scripting language.

Didn't know about nanDeck...I might have to check that one out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to chime in to say that I am loving this! I think that RiddleCraft is superior to 'Such a Thing?' because your card descriptors are much better (more vague and give a much wider birth individually but as the player(s) stack more cards on it allows for the possibility of greater 'exact-ness')

Also, you color palette is much better! Although (for me personally) I love grayscale...so I will probably just print them out that way. All of that blue in SaT is kinda bleh (again, for me personally).

Anyways, this is by far my most favorite game in the contest.

Best of luck,

Eagles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finished translating the card texts in french, I hope Ransom will have time soon to compile the french card :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ransom Christofferson
United States
Broomfield
COLORADO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded the cards (ink saver version) in French. I put them in my Google Drive folder along with the English cards.
Or you can use this link to go right to the French-translated folder

I should have some free time in the next day or two during which I can generate and upload the full color cards in French.

Thanks to the person below for the translation.

Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thank you !! One of my friend have seen an error that I've fixed (on the "I stand taller than a tree Je suis plus grand qu'un arbre" card).

Plus, on some of the cards, the text is croped (for example "Things like me did not exist 100 years ago Il y a 100 ans, ça n'existait pas les choses comme moi" or "I am found nearby others like me On me trouve à proximité de mes semblables")

Do you want me to try and find a shorter translation or can you adapt the script for longer text ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ransom Christofferson
United States
Broomfield
COLORADO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, shorter translations would be best to ensure that the small vertical text can fit along the edge of the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I crafted your cards and we even played a game today with 3-4 players. We played more than 7 rounds but it was so exciting that we didn't even want to finish it We plan to play it again tomorrow, now with the When cards.

I will also be interested to translate the cards to Polish if you have nothing against that?

Couple of things I noticed:
1) You state, the answer cannot be a fictional character but what if one of the cards played is "I am fictional"?
2) I don't get the idea of limiting the starting points for every player. IMO everyone should start with 7 beeds if we are playing 7 rounds - this doesn't make the game any different and we avoid a situation when a player has 0 beeds in front of them and loses a challenge - what happens then?
3) I would change the scoring in Push Your Luck variant. 1 point per card is too low and 50 point threshold is just too "tiring" to reach. IMO a player that pushed their luck to guess a 6-card riddle should be awarded with more points than a player that guessed 3 2-card riddles. You could award a 1 point more for each card in a riddle, e.g.:
* 1-card riddle is worth 1 point
* 2-card riddle is worth 1+2=3 points
* 3-card riddle is worth 1+2+3=6 points
* 6-card riddle is worth 1+2+3+4+5+6=21 points
etc.
In the current state, there's not much incentive to get from 3-card riddle to a 4-card riddle, etc.
4) Are some cards meant to have 2 meanings? e.g. "I am rare" can denote a thing that is difficult to obtain or a piece of meat that is hardly roasted? Impossible to translate such thing But, on the other hand, direct Polish translation of "rare" (difficult to obtain) can also mean "sparse" (small density)
5) Tie-breaker might be to play a game of Press Your Luck - each of the tied players draws a card every turn to build their own riddle and has to answer it or bail out

After a first play (and also after reading your rulebook), I thought that this game is way much better than Dixit as you do not need to have an exact definition for the riddle and there's much more interaction and fun in it! I'm just wondering if it's possible that at some time, the riddles can become "exhausted"? But that might rather be a problem for Dixit, not for Riddle Craft.

Do you plan to introduce any further changes, variants, etc.?

PS: If anyone's hesitant to the fact whether a shark's skin is rough to the touch, then IT IS OF COURSE! There's a scientific explanation for that. Some say that shark's skin is even rougher than a sandpaper! I lost a riddle due to the fact that all the other players *thought* shark's skin is soft and thus my answer is incorrect... As a matter of fact, it feels soft in one direction but is rough in the other... but still, I was right... and still, it was a ton of laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ransoing wrote:
Ah, shorter translations would be best to ensure that the small vertical text can fit along the edge of the card.

Done, I've re-read all the cards and reduced the translations that didn't fit. I hope this will be good now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And another thing I forgot to add:
IMO a player that just lost a challenge should be able to discard as much cards from hand as they want and then draw up to 5. There were some occasions that I was stuck with a hand of 3-4 cards that was difficult to add to the riddle without bluffing... What do you think of such an addition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ransom Christofferson
United States
Broomfield
COLORADO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dannte wrote:
I will also be interested to translate the cards to Polish if you have nothing against that?

Sure, it doesn't take me too long to compile the cards with new text once I get around to actually doing it.

dannte wrote:
1) You state, the answer cannot be a fictional character but what if one of the cards played is "I am fictional"?

This is, of course, an exception. I'll make sure this is stated in the rules.

dannte wrote:
2) I don't get the idea of limiting the starting points for every player. IMO everyone should start with 7 beeds if we are playing 7 rounds - this doesn't make the game any different and we avoid a situation when a player has 0 beeds in front of them and loses a challenge - what happens then?

This keeps people from needing to find dozens of counters (or beads, or whatever) in order to play the game. It also provides a little balance for the players who are exceptionally bad or unlucky--you can only fall behind so far (until you run out of counters). At that point, losing a challenge doesn't affect you, since you have no counters to give up.

dannte wrote:
3) I would change the scoring in Push Your Luck variant. 1 point per card is too low and 50 point threshold is just too "tiring" to reach. IMO a player that pushed their luck to guess a 6-card riddle should be awarded with more points than a player that guessed 3 2-card riddles. You could award a 1 point more for each card in a riddle, e.g.:
* 1-card riddle is worth 1 point
* 2-card riddle is worth 1+2=3 points
* 3-card riddle is worth 1+2+3=6 points
* 6-card riddle is worth 1+2+3+4+5+6=21 points
etc.
In the current state, there's not much incentive to get from 3-card riddle to a 4-card riddle, etc.

I like this idea--it adds more of a temptation to push your luck even more. However, it makes keeping track of score a bit more complicated... I suppose players could just make sure to keep the riddles in their scorepile separate.
I thought I had changed the goal to 20 points, but 50 is more reasonable for these new scoring rules.

dannte wrote:
4) Are some cards meant to have 2 meanings?

Yes! Real riddles often use metaphors, and I was intending for the game to be able to have that same "feel."

dannte wrote:
5) Tie-breaker might be to play a game of Press Your Luck - each of the tied players draws a card every turn to build their own riddle and has to answer it or bail out

Nice idea.. Kind of a "sudden death". Although in this case, it may just be luck that determines the ultimate winner.

dannte wrote:
I'm just wondering if it's possible that at some time, the riddles can become "exhausted"?

For riddles 5 cards long, there are over 100 million different combinations. Of course, many of these won't make sense, and many will be very similar. Add the" when" cards and the number of possibilities is far greater.

dannte wrote:
Do you plan to introduce any further changes, variants, etc.?

I haven't thought of any yet, except for perhaps adding more cards. At this point it's difficult to come up with additional cards that are neither too vague nor too specific, and not prone to lots of arguing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ransom Christofferson
United States
Broomfield
COLORADO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dannte wrote:
And another thing I forgot to add:
IMO a player that just lost a challenge should be able to discard as much cards from hand as they want and then draw up to 5. There were some occasions that I was stuck with a hand of 3-4 cards that was difficult to add to the riddle without bluffing... What do you think of such an addition?

Other people have suggested similar additions to the rules. But I think I will leave it up to people to add that as their "house rules." Sometimes it is difficult to fit a card into the current riddle, but a new riddle will always start soon.

If there are some cards that are always hard to play, perhaps I should remove those cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ransom Christofferson
United States
Broomfield
COLORADO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing with my family the other day and we made the following difficult riddle:

• I produce or give off heat, except when I'm edible
• I can be lifted with one hand, only when I'm not alive

We were able to come up with one solution. Can you think of an answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ransoing wrote:

I don't like my answer very much but it works :

Spoiler (click to reveal)

A dragon

When in its Egg form, it can be lifted with one hand and is not alive yet but it's edible. When it becomes alive, it cannot be lifted with one hand anymore and produces heat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ransom Christofferson
United States
Broomfield
COLORADO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our answer is below:
A Pufferfish

Certain parts of the pufferfish are rather poisonous, so it's only edible when the safe parts have been cut out of it (by that point, it's dead and doesn't produce heat).

While it's alive, if you try to pick it up, it will puff up and stick its spikes into your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So cool, I can't wait to test the game for real :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ransoing wrote:

Another answer, from one of my friends :

A brain

- it produces heat unless eaten by a zombie
- when it's alive, you don't lift it with one hand because it's gross

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ransom Christofferson
United States
Broomfield
COLORADO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've updated the French translated card sheets. Access them via my Google Drive link that I posted earlier or in my original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
ransoing wrote:

I don't like my answer very much but it works :

A dragon

When in its Egg form, it can be lifted with one hand and is not alive yet but it's edible. When it becomes alive, it cannot be lifted with one hand anymore and produces heat.

Isn't that disallowed - nothing fictional, by default?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ransoing wrote:
This keeps people from needing to find dozens of counters (or beads, or whatever) in order to play the game. It also provides a little balance for the players who are exceptionally bad or unlucky--you can only fall behind so far (until you run out of counters). At that point, losing a challenge doesn't affect you, since you have no counters to give up.

I'm not sure I'm liking that explanation. I would rather allow someone to fall behind than deprive a good player of fair-earned points because they were *challenged* by a "weak" player. A "weak" player that had nothing to lose caused the good player to earn nothing for what was a great riddle... I think that allowing a player with 0 beeds to challenge anyone for no cost is far worse than allowing any player to fall behind. Those are only 7 rounds, it's still fun if anyone falls behind, then you can start again with new hands. Please reconsider that

Quote:
Nice idea.. Kind of a "sudden death". Although in this case, it may just be luck that determines the ultimate winner.

Of course but still - funny. And again you can just play again and take your revenge if you feel you lost only to a bad luck

Quote:
I haven't thought of any yet, except for perhaps adding more cards. At this point it's difficult to come up with additional cards that are neither too vague nor too specific, and not prone to lots of arguing.

Just asking. Curious whether I could print your game right away or wait for a closer to final version

Quote:
Other people have suggested similar additions to the rules. But I think I will leave it up to people to add that as their "house rules." Sometimes it is difficult to fit a card into the current riddle, but a new riddle will always start soon.

If there are some cards that are always hard to play, perhaps I should remove those cards.

Oh, no, don't take it that way. I'm sure that in one of my games, I was stuck with like 3-4 cards during 3 riddles in about 6 consecutive turns. I almost always had to play the card that I had drawn last turn... And it's not definitely a bad card, it was me. If I have a card that says a thing was not existing 100 years ago, I could hardly think of anything that is spherical and can't be bought in store that might not exist 100y ago. It doesn't mean the card is bad or difficult to play and I'm almost sure that one friend of mine would make out hundreds of answers to that riddle. But in my case, I would definitely exchange such card by discarding it (along with others) to be able to draw some cards that are *less historical*. That was just an example, I hope you get what I mean.
Your cards are great but won't fit everyone. That's why I thought about allowing a player to discard any cards after a lost challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.