Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Cafiero
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Inspired by others on here, I have begun making and painting my own minis for the ships in my campaign game (see Variants forum...)

I needed more non-firefly transports, and also decided the Reavers needed something more impressive, so I bought a bunch of plastic ships off Amazon, and began adapting. These are work-in-progress, but are coming along.

I started with this Romulan-looking thing...

And after cropping the wings, mounting it high and leaning forward at an ominous angle, and dirtying it up, I got the Reaver Cruiser...

Taking this manta-ish little guy...

...and cutting off the engines, slinging them underneath and stenciling in some conduits, yielded the Xiao MeiMei, a Seven-Sisters-class transport, like so...

When the Reavers meet the good guys, you get a sense of scale.

Comments? I know the paint jobs are so-so. I have new bifocals on order (curse you, relentless Time!) and also need better paints now that I know I am going to be doing this a while.

Killjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice! How big are the engines you gut off the "manta"? Looking at what you did to the first ship (which my daughter calls "the rabbit"), I can't help but think those shortened wings are screaming for Firefly-style engines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dawson
Canada
Kelowna
BC
flag msg tools
mb
I like the mods you did to the ships, subtle and effective. I have both of these models at home and I am now inspired to mod them myself

If you want a product that will help mediocre painting look better, try this quick shade product: http://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=1

I am colour-blind and literally paint by numbers (hmmm, leather brown goes on the leather bits, metal goes on the metal bits ect.) and this product makes a basic paint job pop. It was recommended to me by a professional painter, and boy does it work. It does leave a heavy laquer on at the end and is a bit shiny, but a dull coat of laquer will fix that.

Great work so far, looking forward to seeing more soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cafiero
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
The "manta" engines are pretty small, and I used them on the same ship, just moved underneath to give it more profile.

Some generic Benadryl capsules are actually a decent size, and once primed they paint up nicely. That's what I used on my Trans-U. Smaller than a tictac, bigger than a match head.

I really need to get out of the gorram house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Hobby
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
that 'romulan looking thing' is exactly what I used for my extra Reaver but I added engines cut off the flying saucer thing you're using and glued on extra fins at odd angles to make it look welded together like the cutter (the glue isn't holding tho and I'm trying styrene glue next.)
Great looking stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dawson
Canada
Kelowna
BC
flag msg tools
mb
DeadmeatDad wrote:
that 'romulan looking thing' is exactly what I used for my extra Reaver but I added engines cut off the flying saucer thing you're using and glued on extra fins at odd angles to make it look welded together like the cutter (the glue isn't holding tho and I'm trying styrene glue next.)
Great looking stuff.

Pics please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cafiero
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Re: glue

Gel-type superglue (cyanoacrylate) seems to hold best on that plastic.

Also, sand a bit with an emery board to roughen up the contact where you clipped the wings–those shear-points can be too smooth for a good grip.

Woo Hoo. We are shipwrights.

Killjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Hobby
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
HarleighDhai wrote:
DeadmeatDad wrote:
Great looking stuff.

Pics please!

I will admit there is no fancy paint job, just blood red to match the Cutter as it came right out of the box... but I'll get a pic up with my Marshall Patrol Boat too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ugo oliveti
Italy
roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

did you notice that?

there is the firefly model sold as FT-342 Glow-worm class free trade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cafiero
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I use the "Glowworms" as Model 1 and 2 fireflies (I have three). They also do a nice bulk freighter. Pics this weekend once they're painted up some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dawson
Canada
Kelowna
BC
flag msg tools
mb
They look a little rough, how do they compare detail wise to the base game ships?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cafiero
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
They are smaller and less detailed, but functional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cafiero
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
HarleighDhai wrote:
They look a little rough, how do they compare detail wise to the base game ships?

Here is a formation photo of the Type 2 fireflies ("glowworms") Lancaster Tiger, Sinnamon Stik, and Sihnon White, with the bulk freighter Baka Maru in the background. The bases are about an inch, as are the fireflies. The freighter is closer to 3" and has 2 pennies glued into the base for ballast.

Killjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staplin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm just putting the finishing touches on the paint job for my ships from the core game, and I'm looking to mod some Star Wars micro machines to make my own Reaver ships for when the Blue Sun expansion comes out, but I'm a little worried that they may be a bit too recognizable, even after swapping out pieces and painting them up. Can I ask where you got these ships? (I know you said amazon, but I'm a bit new to board gaming in general, and I'm at a loss as to what to type in the search box).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try these links:

http://www.amazon.com/Pack-144-Space-Ships-Assortment/dp/B00...

http://www.amazon.com/Toy-Space-Cruisers/dp/B00362RWOG/ref=p...

http://www.amazon.com/US-Toy-Company-Space-Cruisers/dp/B0036...

I tried looking for "ship miniatures" "spaceship minis" and similar things.

The middle ones are based on a game called Silent Death, and the "real" minis are apparently much nicer. You may be able to find them on ebay.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.