Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game, it is on my top 5 games and will always have a copy. Only flaw is a way of keeping score. So many other games have great ways of visually keeping score.

What cool inventive ways do you keep score in Carcassonne?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
What's wrong with the scoring track provided? I don't understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always used the score track that came with the base game, admittedly the 50/100 tiles that came with Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals are a useful addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Blanchette
Canada
Roxton Pond
Québec
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven is the only game now! -_^
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
I've always used the score track that came with the base game, admittedly the 50/100 tiles that came with Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals are a useful addition.

Same here. Once, we used paper and pencil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
What's wrong with the scoring track provided? I don't understand.

I will have to take a guess at what the OP's problem is, which is that the score track only goes up to 50. I have never played a game of carc where everyone's score was under 50. So I assume the issue with the score track is that scoring over 50 points in the game is extremely typical and in a 2-3 player game you will do several laps.

You could argue it was a design flaw to produce a score track that would never actually accommodate a game.

Sure, you can use tokens to denote 50 points, but it is a little clunky to have to look at the scoreboard and then check if someone has a token.

A quick browsing of the files section does reveal this file http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/101026/carcassonne-sco...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules suggest changing the position of the meeple between up and down as it passes 50.Even if a score passes 100 (which isn't unusual) this is not really a difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometime, somehow, somewhere, someone suggested the following:

Once your scoring meeple goes to 50, put it on its back to indicate that it's made one lap. If/when you reach 100, put it on its side.
I think its possible to make a meeple stand on its head/shoulder if you make another lap after that...

EDIT:
Damnit, not fast enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Older Nick wrote:
Once your scoring meeple goes to 50, put it on its back to indicate that it's made one lap. If/when you reach 100, put it on its side.
I think its possible to make a meeple stand on its head/shoulder if you make another lap after that...

This is what my group does. With a couple of expansions in the mix, the winner is usually on its head/shoulders. On the rare occasions when 50 is passed yet again, the meeple goes back to standing on its feet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shallowz wrote:
So many other games have great ways of visually keeping score.
Absent further explanation of the complaint, I keep thinking that so many other games have a scoring track printed onto the border that surrounds the game board. Then I try to imagine how to make that work for Carcassonne ... and I start to stumble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, not very 'inventive', but first round around the scoring track happens standing up, second round laying flat, third round on the side, fourth round on the head, fifth round standing up again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
shallowz wrote:
So many other games have great ways of visually keeping score.
Absent further explanation of the complaint, I keep thinking that so many other games have a scoring track printed onto the border that surrounds the game board. Then I try to imagine how to make that work for Carcassonne ... and I start to stumble.

Exactly.

One could argue that all the spaces on the scoring track should be the same size.

Or, for something more inventive (since the OP seems to be looking for ideas), perhaps a scoring track that folds out to something long & narrow, with e.g. 50 spaces going out & 50 more coming back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Mulcahy

US Armed Forces - Europe
msg tools
Since I am often in a two-person game, we've found the same issue. I wish I could say I came up with this idea, but I read it elsewhere: use a die the color of your meeples, start with one pip up and for every lap flip it to the next pip. Works a charm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game original score board went to 70, not 50. This, combined with the lack of expansions, and thus lower scores, meant that scores were rarely "off the chart".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
The game original score board went to 70, not 50. This, combined with the lack of expansions, and thus lower scores, meant that scores were rarely "off the chart".

2 or 3 player Carc sans expansions often exceed 100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah we go over 50 most of the time.

Maybe we are the greatest players ever and we should rule you all!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to using the scoring track, we use a score card we created, with columns for each 50 points and rows for the players' names. When a player finishes each 50 points, we put an "X" in that column for him/her. Makes it easy to add up the scores later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgrandpa wrote:
In addition to using the scoring track, we use a score card we created, with columns for each 50 points and rows for the players' names. When a player finishes each 50 points, we put an "X" in that column for him/her. Makes it easy to add up the scores later.

Tipped for most closely answering the OP's question, more so than any previous post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Whangdoodle wrote:
gamesgrandpa wrote:

Tipped for most closely answering the OP's question, more so than any previous post.
To be fair, that post was after the second OP's post, where the OP clarified the problem was going over 50. I think many were unsure of the exact question before then.

I wasn't sure if the OP had a manufacturer problem and didn't get a scoreboard at all, or the latter that was answered by Gerald.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mostly just keeping score over 50.
it is not that huge of a deal. For us when we are laughing and playing the game sometimes we just forget if we stood the meeple on the side after 50. Score seems to be secondary to the game until the end of the game. A good score display allows players to add his or her points then continue enjoying the game with out thinking about it again.

Since joining the site i have notice some really really smart ideas of improving games from this caring community. Like foam board inserts or hugo's amazing tape or using a others things to replace parts in a game. this is nothing major, i very much enjoy the game. Just wanted to see if there was any crafty smart ideas other players had when they played Carcassonne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Curley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I actually own two full sets of this, and have played a 7 hour, 6 person game with the following, all x2: base set, exp 1, 2, 5, 8, river 1, King & Scout, GQ11, Cult & Seige, Festival, and Phantom. I have also aquired 21mm "super meeples" that will count as 3 for control purposes.

I am working on a peg board scoring system with 12mm meeples as the scoring pegs and a section for higher scores in multiples of 50. Once finished, I will post pictures,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
TrekkieMC wrote:
I actually own two full sets of this, and have played a 7 hour, 6 person game with the following, all x2: base set, exp 1, 2, 5, 8, river 1, King & Scout, GQ11, Cult & Seige, Festival, and Phantom.

One of these I'm going to play a game of "Mega-Carcassonne".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.