Alien Frontiers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Asimov Crater & Data Crystal combo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vandal Bandito
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the first game we had a situation when a player controlled Asimov Crater and a Data Crystal artifact.
The question is could he use the Data Crystal to re-launch the Asimov Crater on the same turn?

It worked like this.
1. Put 1st dice on Colonist Hub. Move 1 space.
2. Put 2nd dice on Colonist Hub. Use Crater power and move 2 spaces.
3. Use Data Crysta on Asimov Crater to be able to use it again.
4. Put 3rd dice on Colonist Hub. Use Crater power and move 2 spaces.

I'm not sure if it was OK - first he use Data Crystal on his own colony, and second I'm not sure if the Crater power can be launched twice on the same turn.

Did anyone encounter this situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A. Data Crystal only works on territories you don't control. It's "as if you controlled" the territory.

B. Asimov Crater allows you to move your colony one more space than the TOTAL number of ships you've placed on the Colonists Hub. If you placed a total of 2 ships you move 3 spaces, 3 ships 4 spaces and 4 ships (with some help from the Orbital Teleporter) will give you 5 spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Murdoch
msg tools
Also on this topic.
If a player owning the pol foothills uses the data crsytal to access someones elses Asimov Crater benefit does he pay the number of cities in the crater or (number of cites minus the one point bonus the pol foot hills gives him)?
I lost a gameas the later option was what was being played and I could not form a soild enough argument based on the wording of the rule book

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I can't see any reason why the Pohl Foothills bonus wouldn't apply, there are no relevant exceptions listed, so it would be the number of colonies in Asimov Crater minus 1. There would still have to be a colony in the Crater, even if the payment was zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Murdoch
msg tools
the rules say
"Pay one less fuel than normal for each alien tech
card you use" The example mentions the discount being applied to the cost of using the booster pod card

The thing being used is a land area ability being accessed through a card, As it is a not a card related cost no reduction can be applied.
There is no enabling rule for the discount to be passed through a card to the thing being invoked by the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Sorry, I don't have a copy of the card in front of me, only the PDF rules. Is there a separate cost to power the alien tech? If so, I would agree that the Pohl discount applies only to the fuel cost of powering the card. If however there is no separate cost for powering the card and the colony count is it, I would say that's where the discount should be applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I just found an image of the card:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1504146/alien-frontiers

I don't see any difference between the fuel cost of this card and any other alien tech card with a fuel cost, so if it was my game, the Pohl discount would apply.

I don't really understand your logic about the land area ability. The ability of Asimov Crater is to give you a bonus move along the Colonist Hub track; it doesn't normally have a fuel cost or depend on the number of colonies (except needing a majority), so the fuel cost is solely related to powering the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.