Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Effects like Captain Data that cause a cloak to flip at the end of a round seem tricky to employ unless you can do it 1 round before first contact. Is that right? How would you use this against Romulans or Klingons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Effects like Captain Data that cause a cloak to flip at the end of a round seem tricky to employ unless you can do it 1 round before first contact. Is that right? How would you use this against Romulans or Klingons?

Its actually not flipped at the end of the round. It is removed at the end of the round, which is what I assume you meant. The text on Data is:

Quote:
ACTION: Disable 1 of your [CREW] Upgrades and 1 of your [WEAPON] Upgrades to target all Cloaked ships within range 1-3 of your ship. Target ships immediately flip their [CLOAK] Tokens to their red sides.

Anyway, if you're attempting to do a joust with Klingons, it probably would be hard to use. Perhaps slingshot Data out on a small expendable ship to force them to drop their cloaks (though maybe they would do so voluntarily to destroy Data anyway), so that next turn your bigger ships can acquire target locks for the initial attack. I assume it would be a little more effective against a Romulan fleet that is not trying to immediately and directly engage you. That's also pretty thematic given the context of the episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather laugh, use battle stations and Boheeka and hit for five out of five on my primary attack with my Koranak. Cloaked dice on their own are laughably weak.

That said, something like Sensor Grid seems better suited than Data for removing Cloak tokens on enemy ships. A forward deployed Species 8472 ship with Bioelectric Interference could manage it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

Basically it forces them to uncloak at the end of the round. This gives a couple positives for you the next round. First they are able to be target locked, second, they have to use their action for the turn to recloak (if they want to remain cloaked). Abilities like this aren't as great as they seem on paper, but anything that allows you a chance to get a target lock (if you wanted to) and /or denies the opponent actions (by forcing them to spend it to re-cloak if they wish) ends up as a good thing in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few of these abilities but they all seen on the verge of being useful without actually being useful. What you really want is to drop their cloak NOW. Or maybe turn it red and disable it for good measure or SOMETHING.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Borg Tractor Beam and Klingon Concussive charges are the only two things that I can think of off the top of my head that will outright turn off a cloak in the same turn that they are used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Data + Corbomite Manuever + Janice Rand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:

Ok, I get part of this. Corbomite Maneuver plus Janice Rand gives you free use of the Corbomite Maneuver, possibly on the very turn you turn their cloak red. Except you only protect one ship. And why Data? He give you more defense, but why do you need it given that they already cannot attack the ship that round?

Or are you saying you build a 2 ship build that can turtle for 1 round and then fire next round by being very defensive (one by corbomite maneuver and one by using Data and maybe other defensive maneuvers? The thing is though that even if you do it at the maximum range of whatever card you are using to turn off the cloaks, they still have a turn to maneuver toward you so that they can get inside the Federation torpedo ranges. I can't help thinking that if this is your strategy it will be hard to pull off. What am I missing?

I mean your pretty brilliant Slingshot build is custom designed to make them stop dead trying like heck to destroy the Galaxy class while the Reliant can approach more sedately and put a torpedo into them as they lose their cloak by firing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
delta_angelfire wrote:

Ok, I get part of this. Corbomite Maneuver plus Janice Rand gives you free use of the Corbomite Maneuver, possibly on the very turn you turn their cloak red. Except you only protect one ship. And why Data? He give you more defense, but why do you need it given that they already cannot attack the ship that round?

Or are you saying you build a 2 ship build that can turtle for 1 round and then fire next round by being very defensive (one by corbomite maneuver and one by using Data and maybe other defensive maneuvers? The thing is though that even if you do it at the maximum range of whatever card you are using to turn off the cloaks, they still have a turn to maneuver toward you so that they can get inside the Federation torpedo ranges. I can't help thinking that if this is your strategy it will be hard to pull off. What am I missing?

I mean your pretty brilliant Slingshot build is custom designed to make them stop dead trying like heck to destroy the Galaxy class while the Reliant can approach more sedately and put a torpedo into them as they lose their cloak by firing.

Captain Data, not crew Data. Fly into range with Data, use Rand to use the talent free, and use his action to drop their cloaks while keeping Data's ship alive and your others out of range for another turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Burns
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
delta_angelfire wrote:

Captain Data, not crew Data. Fly into range with Data, use Rand to use the talent free, and use his action to drop their cloaks while keeping Data's ship alive and your others out of range for another turn.

That's pretty cool. My only concern would be that's it's kind of a pricy stunt - even on a generic Miranda it's a good 30-point investment. You can back it up with a couple of good stripped-down torpedo boats (maybe Excelsior and Enterprise) but that's about it. Or maybe a decked out Voyager. Something that can take advantage of target locks. It would be fun to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.