Subject: Boomer of the Week #15: Public Reveal namyzarc! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BotW [+] [View All]
a quiet free spirit with a mysterious past
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My week has come to an end, but it's my privilege to pass the BotW off to one of the most hilarious, creative people here. It's a pleasure to have him on my team and I'm looking forward to playing many more games with him. I give you...

Randy Reynolds
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Normal namyzarc (that's an oxymoron)
mbmbmbmbmb

namyzarc wrote:
mb Icebreaker Questions: mb

1) How did you get into 2R1B?

Well, it was probably a year ago that Rathstar posted his newly play-and-print cards from 2R1B and I had to respond with some comment about how yeah, 2R1B is fine and all, but Resistance is tons better as a social deduction game. I can't remember how I heard about it prior to that. Anyway, it wasn't much of an argument, because honestly I had read through some of the rulebook for 2R1B and it just sounded so much more confusing than Resistance.

That's when I decided to carefully study this a little more so I'll have a better argument of why Resistance was better. And the more I read and really understood about the game (this was about the time I watched Clyde's 2R1B review video and found my first real 2R1B "celebrity"), the more I knew he was right about 2R1B being the superior game.

So it was probably about a year to the date (hm, August 15th to be exact) that I signed up for my first 2R1B game. Cool, that means I'm gonna be at GenCon for my 2R1B anniversary!

2) What was your first 2R1B PBF and Role?

That would be DeMorcerf's Boomty and the Beast. I love his mod style and definitely wanted to emulate that when I modded my own game a few weeks later. I was plain old Red Team member and happy not to have something too difficult the first game.

3) What is your favorite 2R1B PBF that you have ever played in and why?

I don't know if anyone's gonna top TalusProteus' "The Evil Within". This just had all the preparation behind it, the amazing pre-questionnaire and flavor texts that just frighten the s*** out of you, the videos with cameos from Sean McCoy, God rest his soul, and all sorts of interesting choices and risks you had to mitigate throughout. The memorable flashlight scene alone where the ticking flashlight blows up RIGHT when contig (the intended recipient of leaving the game) touches it couldn't have been planned any better. And, of course, I was the bomber, so that made things nice as well. Yeah, I probably lost a few hours at work over that game.. Good times!

4) What is your favorite/least favorite 2R1B PBF Role and why?

Favorite 2R1B role has to be the spy, since it's the one nice role that keeps everyone honest and stops you from just color sharing your way to your team. Adds a lot more intrigue.

Least favorite..I don't know, do Yog Soggoth and/or The Black count as canonized roles? Those are a pain to deal with because everyone just settles down and eats their card (they might as well, since they won't be doing any sharing this game). So then we transfer randomly and whoopie! What a fun, random game we've turned into!

I don't like Shy Guy, but I understand and think there's a good motivation for why it's in the mix. People need to be able to bluff it, and it's fine for 15 minute games. For 5 day games, not so much.

5) Red, Blue, or Other?

Just like my political affiliation, I gotta go 3rd party on this one. I'm not always the best teammate; in fact, I've even coined a new verb:

- "Going Namyzarc", which is roughly when you aren't happy with the way your own team has included (or rather, excluded) you in their plans and you decide to work against them for the hell of it. I'm still surprised Peer and I are friends after those fun memories...ahhh...

So, I like the Masterminds, the Hot Potato's, those roles where, if I lose, I don't have an angry mob waiting to lynch me for the stunts I pulled. Nah, the glory is mine and mine alone. "Other" FTW.

Poll
Two truths and a lie
I spent 2 years in Alaska as a church missionary.
I once played former World Chess Champion Viswanathan Anand in a 5 minute blitz game.
I've never played a game of 2R1B in real life.
      13 answers
Poll created by maytheodds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer (Toad)
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
mbmbmbmbmb
YAY RANDY!

How do you feel that you and I are still friends after you Namyzarc'ed me?

What is one of your favorite moments other than that one that you and I both share?

What is your favorite animal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?
badge
Wouldn't you think I'm the girl, the girl who has everything?
Congrats, Randy! We missed joining this crazy community at the same time by one game. But I still have fond memories of working with you during my first game- just two new kids on the block, trying to figure out what the heck was going on. Plus, you totally nailed Rathstar. But then....you know... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a quiet free spirit with a mysterious past
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Namy!

Favorite:

Color?
Season?
Word?
Letter?
Punctuation mark?
Television show?
Movie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer (Toad)
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
mbmbmbmbmb
shawnad2006 wrote:
Congrats, Randy! We missed joining this crazy community at the same time by one game. But I still have fond memories of working with you during my first game- just two new kids on the block, trying to figure out what the heck was going on. Plus, you totally nailed Rathstar. But then....you know... soblue

But then what happened??? I wanna know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Namyzarc tackles Bomber Rathstar.
Rathstar says LOL and lets Slinky destory everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
What super power would you like to have and what would be the first thing you'd do with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
You know I love the players and you love the game
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Namy!

What is your favorite:

Breakfast?
Lunch?
Dinner?
Dessert?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer (Toad)
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you tell us the story of how you became nemeses with Machiavellian?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to your game, Breaking Boom, it inspired my "Moogle Wardrobe".

Do you have a favorite Moogle Outfit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Reynolds
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy, it's a pleasure to be Boomer of the Week! But enough about me, let's get on to the questions! ...uh, ABOUT me...

theknightofcups wrote:
How do you feel that you and I are still friends after you Namyzarc'ed me?

I do some crazy things in my games, so it's always nice that there are forgiving people out there still!

Quote:
What is one of your favorite moments other than that one that you and I both share?

My favorite moment has to be in "The Evil Within" when bt37 had the "Infected" condition (which means you lose no matter what) and I convinced him to stick his hand in someone's severed head to see what was inside (yeah, you had to be there). The familiar tick-tocking made me worried I just helped bt37 kill himself, but luckily, there were some antidote vials inside. The joy was immeasurable.

Quote:
What is your favorite animal?

I kind of like squirrel monkeys at the zoo. They're like regular monkeys, but mini-me sized!

And come on, how can you not smile when looking at one???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Reynolds
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maytheodds wrote:
Congrats Namy!

Favorite:

Color?
Season?
Word?
Letter?
Punctuation mark?
Television show?
Movie?

Color: Blue
Season: Spring (end of winter, new growth on trees, comfortable weather)
Word: hm, not sure here...let's use "checkmate" for now till I think of a better one..
Letter: Kind of partial to "R" myself.
Punctuation mark: semicolons: turning smilies into winkies since 1996!
Television show: The Simpsons (not lately, but the first 8 or so seasons are gold.. That's why I own those DVDs), Arrested Development, Breaking Bad, and Futurama.. Probably more..
Movie: The Shawshank Redemption -- When life feels hopeless, don't watch Frozen, watch this one! (um, be 16+ first, though...uh, yeah..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer (Toad)
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant, a moment that you and I both share other than my first game where you Namyzarc'ed me that you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Reynolds
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shawnad2006 wrote:
What super power would you like to have and what would be the first thing you'd do with it?

Boy, it's hard to go wrong with invincibility, like Superman or that Bruce Willis character in Unbreakable. I think I'd just have fun stopping bank robbers, pedophiles, or just whomever else I deemed evil.

And no, I haven't heard the phrase "Absolute power corrupts absolutely". Why do you ask? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer (Toad)
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you feel about hearts being hard to use on BGG?

What is one of the most annoying things you find about any person?

Are you and Rathstar super besties forevsies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Reynolds
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theknightofcups wrote:
I meant, a moment that you and I both share other than my first game where you Namyzarc'ed me that you like.

Oh whoops..yeah, that's a fault of mine.. I don't read.. Um, let's see...

Nothing big is standing out other than when I sold the team down the river. That was still pretty memorable. I like how in the Boom at the End, you basically had yourself a lost game from the very first round (I think May had a part in that) so you got to change your role to something else (Gambler, I think). I didn't have a whole lot of interaction with you there, but I keep coming back to that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer (Toad)
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your least favorite color?

What game do you think you and Rathstar make good partners in?

Why don't you play Mumble Boom with us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Reynolds
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Natsume wrote:
Congratulations Namy!

What is your favorite:

Breakfast?
Lunch?
Dinner?
Dessert?

Breakfast: Boy, it's bad for me, but I sure like Country Fried Steak with gravy, eggs, toast...any kind of breakfast meat you want to throw in is probably good, too.

Lunch: Probably a nice Colorado burger from SmashBurger (semilocal burger joint here) -- green chiles, chipotle bun, two kinds of cheese.. yummy!

Dinner: Chicken Cordon Bleu is always pretty yummy.. A nice baked potato to with it.. Ooh, and then there's steak.. Dang, hard to decide..

Dessert: I sure do seem to eat more than my fair share of black licorice. Let's go with that. Ice cream's good, too, but then I have to pick a variety, and that's hard..

(Man, I feel like I should go jogging or exercise just from answering this question...ugh!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Reynolds
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Natsume wrote:

For some reason, I love the President Moogle, but Whoogle is good, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
namyzarc wrote:
Natsume wrote:

For some reason, I love the President Moogle, but Whoogle is good, too.

Are you a Doctor Who fan now? If so, what are your Top 5 favorite episodes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Reynolds
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theknightofcups wrote:
How do you feel about hearts being hard to use on BGG?

What is one of the most annoying things you find about any person?

Are you and Rathstar super besties forevsies?

Are they? I never confess my love for too many people here, so I guess I've never tried... I *DO* remember using less-than signs for my transfer orders and half my post getting deleted, though, so that part sucks...

One of the most annoying qualities is when I ask someone something and they don't respond for a week or more (if at all). Had that a lot at my work environment and it drove me crazy.

Rathstar and I do have a lot in common, but living in the same locale is not one of them (our taste in music is another). I find it a little tricky to be super besties with someone that lives a couple time zones away, but my social awkwardness makes it tough to find anyone to replace him..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Reynolds
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theknightofcups wrote:
What is your least favorite color?

What game do you think you and Rathstar make good partners in?

Why don't you play Mumble Boom with us?

Least favorite color: Probably purple...Crazy royalty color..

Rathstar and I have done well together in Tichu before.. I think we'd do well in Reef Encounter if that were a team game. I'll bet we'd do OK in Time's Up, though...

Mumble Boom..doesn't that require a voice connection? My written words are like my children -- having to speak always gets me nervous. That's probably why. But maybe I'll have to check it out again..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
Come together, together as one
badge
Perhaps in a perfect world, the ring would be a symbol of happiness
mbmb
congratulations!)!@!!)@(!*@)!!! enjoy the questions!

what's your favorite bemani-related memory?

how many moves does the average person make before resigning to you in chess?

what time is it?

what are your kids' favorite games?

how much would you pay for Caverna: The Cave Farmers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite Futurama:

Guy?
Gal?
Character?
Episode?
Scene?
Season?
Side Character (Choose three!)?
Joke/Running Gag?
Quote?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
namyzarc wrote:
Movie: The Shawshank Redemption -- When life feels hopeless, don't watch Frozen, watch this one! (um, be 16+ first, though...uh, yeah..)

"Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.