Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Similar games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike B.
msg tools
Hi guys,

I am having a blast playing this game - and I am wondering if there are similar games available. So basically a cooperative card game with a campaign. I already have played the LOTR living card game - and while I really enjoy several aspects of that game, it is too much of a puzzle to me, I prefer the more straight forward, easier and funner Pathfinder. Anything else similar besides LOTR (which is not that similar to begin with)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil Young
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking at Sentinels of the Multiverse. Not sure if it has persistent decks, though. Without the persistent characters, I become much less interested in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greyhawke115 wrote:
I've been looking at Sentinels of the Multiverse. Not sure if it has persistent decks, though. Without the persistent characters, I become much less interested in the game.

It doesn't.

There isn't anything like Pathfinder Card Game at the moment, that I know of, but the game has been so ridiculously successful that it is only a matter of time before copycats come along.

Myth looks fairly similar, but it is not entirely card-based and I've heard the rulebook is a hot mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a very recent discussion on this
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1202116/i-dont-want-it-end-l...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
check out http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/149241/assault-doomrock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Skull & Shackles?

I crack myself up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you use some of the mods on BGG, characters absolutely don't grow between scenarios in the D&D board game series. I have Wrath of Ashardalon and grew very tired of it in a hurry precisely for that reason. It does have one mini-campaign, but again, your heroes cap at Level 2 (you start at Level 1). So yeah, you get some more stuff during that mini-campaign, but you won't level up much (and you have to meet the experience level AND roll a 20 on a d20 to level up).

It's a fun series if you're looking for a one-off experience, but it is nowhere near what PACG does in the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
B Wumpus wrote:

Good call. I agree that does seem the closest at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing quite like Pathfinder out there at the moment but I hope with the success of the game we'll see some developers expand on the ideas pioneered here.

To me, what makes this game different and fun isn't the flip a card, roll a dice core. It's the persistent character development.

One possibility is Shadowrun: Crossfire though it isn't out yet.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/135382/shadowrun-crossfir...

Apparently, decks don't change over time but your character develops in other ways.

Edit: As an aside, while Assault on Doomrock looks excellent and I backed it immediately, I'm really not seeing any similarities between it and Pathfinder. What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you already talk about the D&D boardgames I'm surprised that noone mentioned Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) so far. It is a totally different gameplay to pathfinder but you have a campaign where you level up between games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Mészáros
Hungary
Budaörs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:

Edit: As an aside, while Assault on Doomrock looks excellent and I backed it immediately, I'm really not seeing any similarities between it and Pathfinder. What am I missing?

Completely agree here. Seems like a fun game, but I don't see a similarity either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
As you already talk about the D&D boardgames I'm surprised that noone mentioned Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) so far. It is a totally different gameplay to pathfinder but you have a campaign where you level up between games.

Descent, while excellent is very different - it is a tactical combat game with RPG elements. I actually prefer the first edition campaign, but that also takes over 100 hours to complete. Descent also pits several players against an evil overlord, so it isn't fully coop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Crawler

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/67878/dungeon-crawler

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cain_hu wrote:
CletusVanDamme wrote:

Completely agree here. Seems like a fun game, but I don't see a similarity either.

Same here.

If you want to drop the cardgame requirement, first games that come to mind are:
Mice and Mystics
Galaxy Defenders

They are fully co-operative, but advancement isn't as versatile, and they have a more tactical combat aspect to them..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Janes
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
The Penny Arcade Thornwatch game will be similar, if only in that it is an RPG where your characters are made out of decks of cards, but that game is much more of an RPG.

There was a very similar thread on the paizo forums as well:
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2r89i?PACG-mechanics
and Mike Selinker mentions how good Thornwatch is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey Deets
msg tools
Maybe a little bit like Talisman as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.