Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey LeClair
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

When playing multiple maps which is the best/most fun way to play using the Breakthrough decks or the Overlord deck? Also any reason why Overlord is not shown as an option when playing Three maps but is when playing 2 maps or the full 6 maps? Is there any rules or variants that will allow a 3 map setup to be converted to Overlord?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play Overlord with a 3 map board, but play will be slower. With 3 breakthrough decks, you'll play 3 cards per turn. In Overlord, you'll usually play only two. I guess you could do a variant where you play and draw 3 cards, perhaps with the option of playing 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With Overlord each field general has 2 sections. Many Overlord deck cards assume each field general has 2 sections. If you play on 3 maps each field general will have 3 sections and it will no longer fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Caffrey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm trying to organise a six map overthrough game, where we'l just have 3 C in C's.I think I'll basically treat it as 3 separate games with 3 separate medal victory conditions though, and then just give the victory to whichever side wins at least 2.

Not sure if I can come up with a smarter way of connecting the 3 games.

Weirdly playing like this seems to take less components than the usual ultimate 6 map way (3 overlord expansions rather than 6 winters wars).

Toying with the idea of having a supreme C in C who decides which 3 cards to give to each regular C in C... not sure if that guy will be far too detached from the action though... but 26 player memoir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zauis wrote:

When playing multiple maps which is the best/most fun way to play using the Breakthrough decks or the Overlord deck? Also any reason why Overlord is not shown as an option when playing Three maps but is when playing 2 maps or the full 6 maps? Is there any rules or variants that will allow a 3 map setup to be converted to Overlord?

Im of the opinion that the game was set more towards the breakthrough style of play (where everyone has their own map) Just looking through the 5 over through setups it looks as though FG's in some of them are going to have a pretty quiet game. The overlord battle maps really gave all FG's an opportunity to get into the battle (but then again they were geared for OL play)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Estabrook
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Hi;

Pardon the question but OI am not following when you state, " Just looking through the 5 over through setups", what do you mean by that? I do not understand the difference between BT and Over Through? Is Over Through, Overlord?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffbrook wrote:
Hi;

Pardon the question but OI am not following when you state, " Just looking through the 5 over through setups", what do you mean by that? I do not understand the difference between BT and Over Through? Is Over Through, Overlord?

Thanks

Overlord is 2 regular Memoir sized board placed laterally. With OverThrough you place 2 Breakthrough boards (or with D-Day Landings extended Breakthrough maps) next to each other. For both Overlord and OverThrough you can use the OL deck, and you can play with up to 8 players (2 CinC and 6 FG). So the only difference is the total size of the play area. Because of the increased depth with Breakthrough sized boards a lot of players will want to use the On The Move rules the come with BT deck cards even when using the OL deck. OverThrough can also be played by 4 players (2 each side, 1 per board/map), and 2 sets of the BT deck (1 per board/map). It's like playing 2 single BT games, but connected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Siana
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Overlord is 2 regular Memoir sized board placed laterally. With OverThrough you place 2 Breakthrough boards (or with D-Day Landings extended Breakthrough maps) next to each other. For both Overlord and OverThrough you can use the OL deck, and you can play with up to 8 players (2 CinC and 6 FG). So the only difference is the total size of the play area. Because of the increased depth with Breakthrough sized boards a lot of players will want to use the On The Move rules the come with BT deck cards even when using the OL deck. OverThrough can also be played by 4 players (2 each side, 1 per board/map), and 2 sets of the BT deck (1 per board/map). It's like playing 2 single BT games, but connected.[/q]

When you use "on the move" in a two map OverThrough game where the OverLord cards are being utilized, is it just for the sector affected by the card being played (i.e. left, middle or right), or can you move any unit on the entire map? I would think you would be limited to the specific sector to which the card applies, but I'm not positive. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DSC447 wrote:
Overlord is 2 regular Memoir sized board placed laterally. With OverThrough you place 2 Breakthrough boards (or with D-Day Landings extended Breakthrough maps) next to each other. For both Overlord and OverThrough you can use the OL deck, and you can play with up to 8 players (2 CinC and 6 FG). So the only difference is the total size of the play area. Because of the increased depth with Breakthrough sized boards a lot of players will want to use the On The Move rules the come with BT deck cards even when using the OL deck. OverThrough can also be played by 4 players (2 each side, 1 per board/map), and 2 sets of the BT deck (1 per board/map). It's like playing 2 single BT games, but connected.

When you use "on the move" in a two map OverThrough game where the OverLord cards are being utilized, is it just for the sector affected by the card being played (i.e. left, middle or right), or can you move any unit on the entire map? I would think you would be limited to the specific sector to which the card applies, but I'm not positive. Thanks.[/q]

This is an unofficial variant, so there is no official ruling on this. But I would say that the On The Move is limited to the sectors controlled by the FG, as with any other card or initiative play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.