Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luiz Mendes
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a huge fan of the Cthullu Mythos, and Call of Cthullu is one of my all time favorite RPGs, so I came to this game with high expectations. Well, it certainly has left an impression on me. But I want to begin this review in a little different note, with my first impression of the game.

FIRST IMPRESSION
The first time I played Eldritch Horror was certainly one of the most unique experiences I have had with board game. I came when the game was being set up, and I was very scared about the various bits and pieces: so many card piles, markers, the little round thingy on the top. I was the only first time player, all the others were experienced or at least semi-experienced ones. I began by selecting the coolest character available (Jim Culver, of course).

So, for the first turn I was mostly guided on what to do, and kept asking why this or why that. Came second turn, I could start making my own decisions, even making a different strategy that ended up being a good one. Third turn on, I was on top of it. I was every bit involved on the group strategy and decisions as all of the other players. There were some little nitpicks that the other players still had to guide me, but for the most part, everything just seemed to fit into place.

Suddenly, three and a half hours just flew by. It got to the point that from the half of the game one, everyone stood up, and we were going over each detail, each item and clue, each monster and portal. Every dice roll was tense, every new card was read in fear.

I almost died, and had the other players not given everything they had I would be a mad musician. But, in the end, my spells and combat skills were crucial, specially because I was blessed.

In the end, we were near death, but Hastur Azathoth was sealed away. We won. I looked at the clocked, and I was amazed on how fast time flew. After more than three hours of game, we all wanted more. And every time we play now, it's just like that first time. We lose some (most), we win some (few), but the excitement and dread are always there.

COMPONENTS
Now being emotionless, let's see the bits and pieces. First of all, Fantasy Flight has a long history of beautiful games, and this is no exception. The arts are wonderful, very fitting to the theme.

But the thing I most love about this game is how everything is themed. The portal and event cards all have narrations on them, with the dice rolls to be made being just little mentions. This helps the game become a full fledged story every time.

On the other hand, there is one thing that annoys me quite a bit. Although I can understand why, but everything is so tiny. We have a lot of tiny equipment and spell cards, a lot of tiny monsters and tiny markers and tiny basically everything but the mythos cards. Yes, we do have a lot of components, but the size most of the time makes the text a nuisance to read everything.

The box is pretty good, and although there is a ton of stuff, it's surprisingly not too hard to put everything together and store everything away. But bear in mind one thing: bag your stuff, otherwise you will end up losing the little pieces.

GAMEPLAY
I will not compare this to Arkham Horror, as I did not play it. So, this is from someone new to the family of games (I have played Elder Sign, but after it). If you have at least one experienced player on your group, thing will flow just fine, but even without it, it is a game that has a lot of things going, but everything is pretty straightforward, so it is not hard to keep up.

I like that they gave each Elder One different decks so every adventure is very different. This helps a lot in the replayability, as there are only four ones to face. Also, giving each location a specific deck (or part of it, as the cards are shared) and a specific function also helps give the game a more unique feeling. You know that if you are an influence guy, you will benefit on going to Istambul. Nothing is just randomly thrown at us, everything has a meaning and a purpose. And if you do not use that, you are as good as dead.

I find that the turns go on pretty quickly, and as teamplay is such a crucial aspect, there is no downtime. Even if you are not playing, you're helping the guy that is. Because of this, I find this game better with more players, 4-6. Never tried with more, but with 3 or less it is just not as fun. This is a pretty long game, but the flow is so smooth that you can't barely feel it.

CONCLUSION
I love this game, seriously. It is not for everyone, without a doubt. My group is mostly formed by people that are board game and tabletop RPG veterans that love the theme, so we this game's target audience, but even some of us not that experienced or that don't even like the theme have a good time. But I would not recommend this for people that don't want to invest a long time and energy or a single game, because every single time it'll be pretty long, and a lot of the time it'll be frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to point out, Hastur? The only expansion containing Hastur is a fan expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stuart
United States
Lewisville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried the expansion--Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore--yet?

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts regarding that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Mendes
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andarel wrote:
Just to point out, Hastur? The only expansion containing Hastur is a fan expansion.

Yes, you are correct. I just have been playing too much Elder Sign The one I defeated was actually Azathoth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Mendes
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theclay wrote:
Have you tried the expansion--Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore--yet?

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts regarding that as well.

Not yet, though I plan to get it probably next month. As soon as I play it I'll be sure to post my review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.