Thumb up
1 Posts

Strategy Games» Forums » General

Subject: Quick but strategic medieval/fantasy battle resolution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel W
flag msg tools
So I'm working on a gaming project of my own. Call it a fantasy spin on Freedom in the Galaxy. However, I am a little dissatisfied with the combat resolution. I've looked over the advanced/2.0 variants as well as Down with the Empire, and the combat, for all it tries to add strategy, boils down to throwing a bigger pile of units at the other guy. Which is effective (I have the rules for Pax Romana, found after much Googling and BGGing, on hand as my current resolution mechanic) but a tad boring.

First question - Am I wrong? Are CRTs secretly the most amazing and tense thing ever and I'm just missing it? I know they're designed to be somewhat realistic, which I definitely appreciate.

Second question - Combat mechanic for this game. Here's my wishlist:
1) Quick enough to be resolved as part of a larger game
2) Allows player decisions beyond Attack and Retreat to affect results
3) Fantasy units (pegasus knights, dragons, wizards etc) that are interesting and varied and create strategic and tactical decisions (i.e. more than just a different picture on a strength number chit)
4) Terrain is a consideration

I have this crazy mental image of nine terrain cards laid in a square for center, left and right flanks, and a no man's land between the two armies, chits on the cards for maneuvering and positioning, but that might be a bit ambitious. Again, I could be very wrong. It certainly doesn't sound quick enough for what I need.

I look forward to the suggestions; thanks in advance!

May your dice never falter!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.