Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been some discussion about whether or not children should be brought into Zombicide. Well, I've used them from the beginning, using them as a replacement for objective tokens, so I never had to ask myself what the objectives were. An objective pack would be an interesting official addition. In addition to kids and grannies, it could have keys or a medical kit on a 3D desk/shelf, pets (save the goldfish!), the Holy Grail (reproduction), etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Tischler
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yay! Flash Point: Zombie Rescue!!! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of some 'proper' objective markers, just to add to the thematic nature of the game. I guess GG/CMON want to stay away from having children in the game which can be a little risky but seeing as they are such a staple of zombie films/comics/books/TV series etc. I'm surprised we haven't seem them in Zombicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just had our first child this year... and I have no problem with kids being in zombicide! Lets face it, it is a 'light hearted violent' game where there is a lot of bloody chainsaw or blade infused violence, but at the end of the day it is just that... a game.

What's the difference between an adult or a kid? Nothing, they are both a valued life, and this is the zombie apocalypse where bad things happen. To take a different approach, what is the difference if a young or old, black or white, female or male person dies a gruesome death in zombicide? Again, nothing, everyone has a life worth something and it sucks to lose people to zombies (unless you are in pvp devil)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There shouldn't be any kids in "Walking Dead" either, or anything related to violence at all. Because if kids see violence then they become violent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
There shouldn't be any kids in "Walking Dead" either, or anything related to violence at all. Because if kids see violence then they become violent.

I played violent video games during all my youth, starting at 8 years old. I wouldnt hurt a fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoogoo wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:

I played violent video games during all my youth, starting at 8 years old. I wouldnt hurt a fly.

Indeed, this is unsubstantiated nonsense most often perpetuated by the media though academia has also been guilty of attempting to make cause and effects links between violent media and violence. But I have played violent games since the first Carmageddon and Grand Theft Auto games were released and have managed to live a successful and non-violent life as have the vast majority of other people who've played them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well like I have metioned before I work with kids and teenagers and while we, the adults at the place, worked to define our media policy we searched through as much different social theories and material on the subject that we could get our hands on. The conclussion was that to this day it has still not been possible to prove a direct link between media violence and physical violence. This is also one of the reasons that the PEGI (Pan European Game Information) cannot make any laws against underage buying video games recommended for adults. Some stores refuse to sell 18+ products to people under age anyway, but that is the stores own policy and is not dictated by law. At least not in europe.

True that there has been acts of violence taken out in a media shape. Like the guy who was dressed as the Joker from Batman and opened up fire in a movie theater some years ago but despite many attempts to blame the media whenever these horrible acts have been commited nothing has been able to prove that these unstable individuals would not have done their a acts anyway.

My point is that violence in games should be seen as a game and nothing else. If certain subjects in the game reminds you of all kinds of horror in the world then maybe this kind of entertainment is not for you IMHO.

I too have been watching horror movies and played games that use foul language, contains violence and sexual images for many years now. To this day I enjoy that kind of entertaiment also, but I despise any kind of actual violence and has dedicated my professional life to working with kids from troubled areas trying to get them to stay out of violence and crime.

But let me say that I fully understand CMON and Guillotine Games descission on not including kids. You guys already get enough heat when it comes to the KS, the Survivors outfits and all kinds of other stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone points fingers these days, but it all comes down to parenting...

Yes garbage in garbage out to a point, but look at police officers, mental health care workers, and military folks, they see and hear horrendous stuff all the time and don't all follow in those same footsteps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
455_PWR wrote:
Yes garbage in garbage out to a point, but look at police officers, mental health care workers, and military folks, they see and hear horrendous stuff all the time and don't all follow in those same footsteps.

I can't speak to police and mental health workers, but there are lots of studies that show strong correlation between active military service and violent crime. A recent study by King's Centre for Military Health Research found that males under 30 returning from active duty were three times as likely to commit violent crimes as males of the same age in the general population (20.6% versus 6.7%).

Not just violent crime, either - rates of suicide are notably higher. In 2012 more soldiers/veterans died in the UK from suicide than were killed on active duty fighting the Taliban and it was a similar story in the US. Again research puts suicides amongst this group at 2 to 3 times the average.

Having said all of that, I do agree with your point, I don't see any real connection between media or gaming and violent crime. If you give a violent game to a regular person, they're not going to turn into a frothing psychopath. What's more likely is that people with a natural propensity for violence are drawn to violent pursuits or activities depicting violent pursuits, giving the appearance of causation (for instance in the military case, it's notable that a lot of the offenders had a past history of violence - couple that with the fact that the army is less likely to refuse people with such a history than the police or health services and you have a much more likely explanation than "seeing violence makes people violent"). I bet if you got those same people to take up non-confrontational hobbies, they'd still manage to find other outlets for their violence.

tl;dr there's little threat of a game breeding psychopaths, but that won't stop the media claiming otherwise to sell a few copies/clicks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delinear wrote:
455_PWR wrote:

I can't speak to police and mental health workers, but there are lots of studies that show strong correlation between active military service and violent crime. A recent study by King's Centre for Military Health Research found that males under 30 returning from active duty were three times as likely to commit violent crimes as males of the same age in the general population (20.6% versus 6.7%).

Not just violent crime, either - rates of suicide are notably higher. In 2012 more soldiers/veterans died in the UK from suicide than were killed on active duty fighting the Taliban and it was a similar story in the US. Again research puts suicides amongst this group at 2 to 3 times the average.

One thing about such studies to note is that they often don't explore other factors that may influence violent crime/suicide amongst ex-military. For a start people who sign up for military service are disproportionately from lower socio-economic groups who suffer higher levels of deprivation and mental health issues. They also don't consider the (lack of) support offered to servicemen upon leaving the military. I realise this has gone somewhat off topic, but wanted to highlight these (the sociologist in me couldn't resist).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.