17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need post-Dominion suggestion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth D
msg tools
mb
My wife and I played Dominion pretty obsessively for several years together. I thought it worked great as a two player game. But lately we've both gotten kinda bored with it.

Any suggestions for a good 2-4 player game that is easy to set up and play. She's not crazy about large board games with lots of pieces, a relatively short card game that is self contained would probably be best.

Bonus points if it can be played with a 7 and 9 year old.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor

I play it with my 7 and 10 year old nieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Machi Koro out yet?
I haven't played it but heard great stuff about it. Super accessible and great for more casual players.

I've recently been having loads of fun with really simple little games, so maybe you'd like to check out games like:

Love Letter
Parade

or (if the theme doesn't bother you) the "family game" King of Tokyo

there are also classics like Carcassonne that might be of interest if you haven't tried them yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Takenoko? I know it's a board game, but there really aren't a tremendous amount of pieces to it. This was a big hit with my wife, and I'm sure your family would enjoy it as well.

It's difficult to match the depth of something like Dominion in card game form though. The closest thing I've found would be Race for the Galaxy, though it may be too advanced for your children. It has some expansions you can get into as well. The first two are great, the most recent two...not so much.

Innovation is another deep card game, though I'd say it's one of the most difficult to get into. It feels really random at first, but the more you play it, the more you see how clever card play is rewarded.

There's also Trains if you want a different take on the Dominion formula. I know Dominion has tons of expansions, but the base game of Trains alone has replaced it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar mechanics to dominion but with chips Puzzle Strike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall McKenzie
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Duel: Second Edition might be something you're interested in. Quick very nearly entirely card game with quite a bit of depth, and there are multiple game modes including 2v2 and co-op, so you could play with your kids too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension: Apprentice Edition is a cheap way to see if you like the Ascension world. A game takes about an hour. The Apprentice edition is only for 2 players though.

A longer 90-120min game I love is Core Worlds (2-5 players). It has deckbuilding, but also management of other resources (actions, energy, cards). The sense of progression you get is unique in this game, the cards you come across come from 5 separate decks during the 10 rounds of the game, so you should always be able to do something (instead of having too expensive cards to draft or conquer).

The expansion Galactic Orders make a good game even better, so try adding it after you have learned the base game.

The feel of the game changes a bit with the number of players. Because less cards come out with less number of players, randomness in the comes from the players with high player count and from the center zone with low player counts.

I think both can be played by a 9-year-old, and 7-year-old can surely manage the rules, although not all the finesse of strategy. You have to decide yourselves if the subject matter of each is appropriate.

Innovation is also a great game, but may be too 'take that' and not easy to get into for the children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Johnson
United States
Midvale
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're wanting to try out a new deck builder I recommend Eminent Domain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Miller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Carcassonne works very well for two to four players, and it's easy enough to teach kids.

My family enjoys King of Tokyo; but it does not work as a two-player game.

Takenoko may also work well for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgocrazy wrote:
Splendor

I play it with my 7 and 10 year old nieces.

+1 For this. I think it's perfect for the requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanAtta
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloretto I feel works well with 2 and plays up with up to 5 and is short and one of my current favorites, Quiddler is a word game that I play with my mom and can play up to 8, it even has a solitaire variant, Takenoko is good with 2, I haven't tried Splendor with 2 but it is fun with 3 or 4 and I have read it is good with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go! is probably a step-down in terms of complexity from Dominion, but it's a great game, self-contained, plays very quickly, and I think a 7 and 9 year old would have fun with it.

It doesn't play great 2 players, unfortunately, but the price is less than $10.

+1 Splendor, though, that plays well at 2, 3, or 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linus Gustafsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Smash Up.
I don't know if it's good for children but other than that it's great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth D
msg tools
mb
Thanks all for the suggestions - I've definitely got some research to do. BTW Carc is great, we enjoy that, but I'm looking for something that's a little easier and quicker and smaller to get out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gates
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Oh yeah!
mb
Guildhall is a great fast setup fast playing card game that you can get a lot of mileage out of. I think my wife and I played it almost every day for the first two or three months we got it. It still comes out quite a bit, it's a lot of fun, and I'm still getting better at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tamm
United States
boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charlie reif
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kldarter wrote:
But lately we've both gotten kinda bored with it.

I think you should go away from deck building for the next game.

Splendor
As others have said, playable with the kids as well.

Jaipur
2 player card game.

Targi
2 player game, pretty good.

Carcassonne
great game, even two player.

Lost Cities
2 player game

Suburbia
little more parts - but good game.

Hey, That's My Fish!
good game, kids can play too.

Tsuro
Tsuro of the Seas

Qwixx
dice game...maybe the kids?

Zooloretto
a little more 'gmae stuff' to set-up, but the kids will like.

Diamant
kids will love

Forbidden Island
kids can play

Don't know if this helps, but I chose all of these games because they are easy to setup and don't have many pieces, parts, or bits.

Zooloretto has more parts and bits, but the kids would like it - probably more than you and the wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.