Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Breden
United States
Independence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game appears to me to be a 'Timeline' expansion set, with alternate rules. Just new cards and perhaps a better or more gamer-y way to play with cards that have a date on one side of them ... I do like it, and will probably back mostly for the nice playmat they are planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yet with still shitty little cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Breden
United States
Independence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An expansion with different sized cards would be really annoying. I'm glad they are the same!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not affiliated with Timeline, thought the influence is pretty strong, obviously.

The idea was to create a game with more tension and with some strategy - something that had more teeth, and more meat, than Timeline.

Btw, the reason the cards are small is because of the amount of space the game takes up because the cards must all be laid on the table, not held in hand. If you're playing a 6-player game with full-size cards, a standard table is really crowded. I end up playing most of the time at bars, restaurants, cafes, and other places where table-space can be tight to begin with.

When I first stared on this project I also thought that I'd use full-size cards, but I quickly realized it wasn't going to work. Browse through some of the pics in the image gallery and you'll see just how much space all those cards take up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just watched the Dice Tower Preview as I hoped it might be a great time travel game, but I just couldn't get past the point of thinking it's just Anno Domini reloaded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
I've just watched the Dice Tower Preview as I hoped it might be a great time travel game, but I just couldn't get past the point of thinking it's just Anno Domini reloaded.

It is quite similar to Anno Domini, except ChonroSphere is in English, which probably isn't as much an issue for you as for most North American backers.

The three key differences that make it a tighter game than Anno Domini, and that creates more strategic choices are:

1 - You're simultaneously working on two timelines, the BC and the AD, which each play independently of one another.

2 - The first card BC and last card AD are fixed points. You can't play cards before the earliest card BC or the last card AD. The way that those cards get placed is the winner of the challenge is awarded with the right to place that new 'endpoint' card on the challenged size. This both incentivizes challenges and creates strategic options when you win a challenge as to which card you make as the endpoint.

3 - In ChronoSphere, once you play into it, you're responsible for the entire side of the Sphere. Mistakes that others have made now belong to you - you could be entirely correct in your play, but still can be brought down by the mistakes of another.

In general, ChronoSphere is a more "gamer" expression of a chronology game. It offers some twists that ramp up the tension, and it plays a bit quicker than those other games (by design, fewer cards come back into the game than leave it with each challenge). I hope you'll give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.