Popular Tags: best-of-RSP [+] Derperdämmerung [+] [View All]
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
First: no bill was blocked. There was an actual vote in the Senate, the bill actually got the majority (56-43), but it didn't hit the 60 threshold and therefore it's dead. But the Senate GOP didn't "block" anything.

I don't believe this is correct. If there was an actual vote, then a majority (51 votes) is enough to pass a bill. If you need 60 votes, then what you're voting on is to get the bill past filibuster and actually vote on it. If the count required 60, then it was "blocked" from being voted on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Murray’s measure needed 60 votes to cut off debate and to move on to final vote. Three Republicans — Sens. Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Mark Kirk of Illinois — sided with Democrats; Majority Leader Harry Reid switched his vote as a procedural move so he could bring up the measure again later. Democrats have a 55-45 majority in the Senate.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024082940_contracept...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Media Manipulation (aka 'lies'), Example #12,420

Quote:
Still, Republicans have signaled they are worried that the court ruling could backfire on them in November, and introduced an alternative bill on birth control Tuesday night.

“We plan to introduce legislation this week that says no employer can block any employee from legal access to her FDA-approved contraceptives,” Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) said this week. “There’s no disagreement on that fundamental point.”

The GOP bill includes language from Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) urging the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to investigate whether birth control should be sold as an over-the-counter drug. A prescription from a doctor is now needed to obtain most forms of contraception.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/212451-senate-r...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
The Supreme court did not rule that requiring Hobby Lobby to provide birth control was against the Constitution, they ruled that it violated the rules created by the RFRA (Religious Freedom Restoration Act) which limited the ability of Congress to pass laws which placed a "substantial burden" on religious freedom.

It is completely within the power of Congress to cancel or alter the RFRA and thus restore the requirement that for profit religious organizations must provide a standard set of birth control and abortion options in their healthcare plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it's Reality 1 Drew 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gilligan
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Second: Three Republicans voted for the bill. Know who voted against it? Harry Reid. Democrat.

This is a commonly used tactic in the Senate due to their rules. To pretend otherwise is also disingenuous.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/02/17/why...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Samuraicat wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Second: Three Republicans voted for the bill. Know who voted against it? Harry Reid. Democrat.

This is a commonly used tactic in the Senate due to their rules. To pretend otherwise is also disingenuous.

Well, there is the possibility that Drew isn't being disingenuous, and merely doesn't understand the details of the process involved.

Never ascribe to malice what can better be described by mundane ignorance.

As a side note, it does appear as if several conservative Tweeters on Twitter don't understand the process either, and are trying to 'expose' this as an example of the pernicious 'liberal bias' everyone keeps hearing about.

Some examples- if you don't mind reading through an aggregation of inane tweets, can be found here.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Huh. Nope.

No, more like Reality 957, Drew 24 (he actually is right sometimes, but most of the time he is just quoting nonsense he gets from Faux News). Even a broken clock is right twice a day though right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Well, there is the possibility that Drew isn't being disingenuous, and merely doesn't understand the details of the process involved.

Never ascribe to malice what can better be described by mundane ignorance.

It has been explained to him in the past when he's brought it up. Since he continues to 'not understand' I think the reality here is that the OP title actually applies to Drew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
sfox wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Huh. Nope.

No, more like Reality 957, Drew 24 (he actually is right sometimes, but most of the time he is just quoting nonsense he gets from Faux News).

Huh. Nope. Wrong again.

What did you get right here? It wasn't a vote on the Bill, it was a vote to invoke cloture. Are you mainlining fantasy land or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Well, to be fair, senate rules can be a bit counter-intuitive.

I mean, ask a random person what a cloture vote entails!

But, I'm sure that we'll hear from the Usual Suspects about how this is all part of a Democratic Weenie attempt to make the Republicans look bad.

Actually, it was exactly that. Not the bit where Drew thinks there is some kind of media conspiracy, but the vote itself. It most certainly was an attempt to get the Republicans on the record to oppose making changes to the Religious Freedom law in order for women to get access to contraception from Obamacare if they work for corporations which oppose that.

The 'media conspiracy' stuff was just par for the course- I mean, its like crappy guacamole at a Tex-Mex restaurant. You don't really think its that interesting or that good, but it comes with every crappy faux-conservative talking point these days.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
But, but, but it's so WRONG when Congress tries to do what the conservative court suggested.
Quote:

Chief Justice John Roberts himself suggested a legislative remedy during oral arguments in March. Roberts pushed back against Solicitor General Donald Verrilli’s argument that the 1993 Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which says the government shall not “substantially burden” a person’s exercise of religion, was never intended to apply to for-profit corporations.

“Well, if Congress feels as strongly about this as you suggest, they can always pass an exemption,” Roberts said.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024026881_contracept...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
But, but, but it's so WRONG when Congress tries to do what the conservative court suggested.

Roberts is a RINO, so that doesn't count
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
It most certainly was an attempt to get the Republicans on the record to oppose making changes to the Religious Freedom law in order for women to get access to contraception from Obamacare if they work for corporations which oppose that.

Oh, most assuredly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuraicat wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Geek Gold for fucking Samurai Cat. Badass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Well, shame on the media for stating things conservatives are too ignorant to understand. Manipulating through truth, shame!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhh...

Great thread Drew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
No, I'm not surprised one bit that our resident psychopaths Democrats have no problems with a media that lies on their behalf.

So far you haven't disputed anything here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
No, I'm not surprised one bit that our resident psychopaths Democrats have no problems with a media that lies on their behalf.

Nor am I. You said it in the subject line - Media Manipulation. Essentially your thread appears to be about how headlines tend to be crafted by the liberal/progressive media so that the narrative stays intact. The "narrative" being Republicans bad.

I'm certainly not surprised that the pedantic fucksticks of RSP are more interested in posting about Drew and, of course, their own super-super extra clear understanding of everything in the world including minor minutia of senate procedures that Google supplied them within moments of reading your OP..

Except being unable to respond to the actual point of the thread: Media.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linoleum blownaparte
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
radynski wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
First: no bill was blocked. There was an actual vote in the Senate, the bill actually got the majority (56-43), but it didn't hit the 60 threshold and therefore it's dead. But the Senate GOP didn't "block" anything.

I don't believe this is correct. If there was an actual vote, then a majority (51 votes) is enough to pass a bill. If you need 60 votes, then what you're voting on is to get the bill past filibuster and actually vote on it. If the count required 60, then it was "blocked" from being voted on.

If that's how we're supposed to read it, then Harry Reid voted to block it. So it's still manipulation.

Why are you okay with this?

"Somebody on the winning side of the cloture vote — in this case, the side voting against cloture — has to file a "motion to reconsider" if the matter is to be taken up again. "I suppose the broader parliamentary principle here is that it would be somewhat unfair to give someone on the losing side of a question a second bite at the apple," Binder explains. So the rules provide for senators whose opinion has changed to motion for another vote, whereas those whose opinion stays the same don't get to keep filing to reconsider. Reid, and other majority leaders before him, have developed a clever workaround: Just change your vote at the last minute if it looks as though you're going to lose, then move to reconsider. In theory, any supporter of the bill or nomination in question could do the same, but traditionally it's been the majority leader."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linoleum blownaparte
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Nor am I. You said it in the subject line - Media Manipulation. Essentially your thread appears to be about how headlines tend to be crafted by the liberal/progressive media so that the narrative stays intact. The "narrative" being Republicans bad.

I'm certainly not surprised that the pedantic fucksticks of RSP are more interested in posting about Drew and, of course, their own super-super extra clear understanding of everything in the world including minor minutia of senate procedures that Google supplied them within moments of reading your OP..

The point of the thread seems to be that Drew doesn't understand:

Quote:
Go ahead and search AP, Reuters, or any number of news services and you'll see precisely the same headline.

1. How wire services work

Quote:

2. How cloture is supposed to work (although, to be fair...)

Quote:

3. How parliamentary procedure is supposed to work

Quote:
Democrats never intended to pass it. (If they had, SCOTUS probably would have overturned it, given they just ruled on it.)

4. How separation of powers is supposed to work

Quote:

Huh. Nope. Wrong again.

5. How backing down when you're proven wrong is supposed to work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

The point if the thread? Well the headlines said the Republicans blocked the bill which was true. Many people have responded to show how the OP was an error filled piece of shit. Drew has not responded to any if them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Am I nuts or did drew just get white knighted?

While I can understand wanting to stick up for a little brother he has to learn that it isn't proper to open a discussion by shitting his pants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
DWTripp wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Nor am I surprised that you're white knighting for Drew, even though his post either demonstrated that he's ignorant of how the Senate works, or he's full of shit.

Come to think of it, Tripp-
Do you know what a vote for cloture means?

I love how Tripp and Drew, the two hyper-partisans who want us "TO WAKE UP ABOUT HOW OBAMA AND THE DEMOCRATS ARE RUINING AMERICA", but yet appear to be completely ignorant about how democracy in the United States actually works. Whats even more hysterical is that Tripp appears to be justifying his ignorance as a moral 'good'- I mean, SERIOUSLY;

Checking up facts on Google is for weak liberals. Ignorance is for the strong and manly conservative mentality.

Explains a great deal, now that I think about it.

Guys-
A core goal of conservatism is to be able to explain what works and what doesn't with government. But its hard to make people buy into your points if you don't know how our government actually works.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Nor am I surprised that you're white knighting for Drew, even though his post either demonstrated that he's ignorant of how the Senate works, or he's full of shit.

White Knighting? Jesus, you're such a fucking loser Dar. White Knighting? Is that what you and your asshole buddies are doing in this thread? White Knighting each other? WTF is that supposed to mean? Is that going to be the new fat guy liberal Meme for RSP now? Oh, those guys are just "White Knighting" each other.... snork, snork.

I do understand that you are a dilettante and that you seem to thrive on pedantic deconstructions of any point being made that didn't originate with you. The reality is that the media isn't going to explain what happens on any given day in the senate if a set amount of people aren't voting to bring something to a conclusion, nor are they going to explain the machinations of thieves like Harry Reid. None of that fits the story and the story is: Republican Bad. That's what the thread is about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.