Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've owned A Tough of Evil for a little over a year now and it's one of my favorite games. I'm ordering Last Night On Earth in the next week or so and I'm planning on adding an expansion to my order to qualify for the free shipping but I'm having trouble deciding which one to get.

I would have liked to get the Something Wicked expansion but the place I'm ordering from hasn't gotten it back in stock yet since it's been reprinted so I'm trying to decide if I should order The Coast expansion for A Touch of Evil or get the Growing Hunger expansion for LNOE?

Does The Coast require Something Wicked? Or would it best best to wait and get SW before getting The Coast?

Does Growing Hunger make LNOE a lot better? One thing that worries me is that I feel like LNOE doesn't come with a lot of scenarios in the main game and that getting GH would provide more of them.

If anyone can provide some opinions on any of these expansions I'd appreciate it. That should help me figure out what to do.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have everything available for Last Night on Earth (except some small promo packs from FF) and I will say that Growing Hunger is a great, "more of the same" expansion.

However, let me actually recommend that you get instead Last Night on Earth: Timber Peak and, if you want an expansion, Last Night on Earth: Blood in the Forest also. Timber Peak is something of a reboot that cleans up the game in a number of ways. The rule book is better, the decks are balanced well and it incorporates elements from the earlier edition's expansions which worked well and leaves out those that didn't. The upgrades are also a lot of fun. You can't go wrong with the original base game, but I think Timber Peak is an improvement in many respects. The entire game experience is just a movie in a box. Just crazy fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Talese
United States
Horsham
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Tim, LNOE is a fantastic game, in my opinion, and Growing Hunger does add with the new heroes and a couple of scenarios but Survival of the Fittest and Timber Peak are where it is at.
Survival adds the awesome grave weapons for the zombie player as well as 3 new decks that add a lot to the game.
Timber Peak adds so much that you really have so many options to customize the board, heroes, and zombies that you can play completely different each time. A new experience system comes in TP that allows for upgrading which adds even more fun to the already awesome vanilla LNOE.

As you already know that the base ATOE is great and so is base LNOE so I think you will enjoy it either way. The different scenarios are not what makes LNOE so great but the experience you have when playing with others who like the whole b-movie/zombie thing. LNOE is about the experience of surviving and it is about completing a task.

I am not familiar with the Coast expansion so I can not talk about that directly.

Hope this helped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James!

So you don't need the original Last Night on Earth to play Timber Peak, correct?

If it's a reboot does it have the same or similar characters and scenarios that are in LNOE?

One last question, if you had the original LNOE does Timber Peak expand or combine with it or is it standalone only?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Marco!

That's two recommendations for Timber Peak. I hadn't even considered it so I'm going to have to look more into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Jimbob you're saying The Coast is better than Something Wicked and should be purchased first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
Thanks James!

So you don't need the original Last Night on Earth to play Timber Peak, correct?

If it's a reboot does it have the same or similar characters and scenarios that are in LNOE?

One last question, if you had the original LNOE does Timber Peak expand or combine with it or is it standalone only?

Thanks!
Timber Peak can stand on its own and has two characters repeated (becaue they are supposed to have survived the first game!). I would say that some scenario styles are repeated with a slightly different theme owing to the mountain setting. Timber Peak is backwards compatible with previously released material but I have not been motivated to mix the heroes (you don't mix the decks; that doesn't work) because they don't make use of the new mechanics which I like as many of the new heroes do. There is one more reason to consider Timber Peak: likely future expansions will expand this game rather than the original edition. Regardless, I think you'll really enjoy the game experience whichever you get; I think the Last Night line is far and away the best thing Flying Frog has put out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I haven't played Timber Peak or its expansion, Growing Hunger is a must buy to make the base Last Night on Earth game feel complete. The other expansions are the take it or leave it variety, but Growing Hunger gives you enough variety to ensure your games don't get samey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The secret to maximum fun with LNOE is to get Invasion from Outer Space: Zombie-Martians. Both games use the same system so you they are cross compatible. Don't you want to send your Fire Breather into a room full of zombies and burn em good??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something Wicked is not necessary for the Coast expansion. The coast is nice but makes the game double as fiddly as it was before (keep that in mind). I'm actually disappointed in the small box expansions for AtoE

I do like Timber Peak, but I would also like to suggest the small box expansion 'Survival of the Fittest'.

This adds 3 new mechanics. 'Unique Items' - just as cool as they sound. 'Grave WEapons' - These equal upgrades for the zombie player and 'Survival Tactics'

It's a neat, cheap expansion for LNOE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.