flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules and cards

This game was part of the 2014 Card Game Design Contest.

In Boit you must prove your superiority over the rest of the pantheon by inspiring your world to believe in you above all others. The world’s faith in you will give you power. Collect faith by demonstrating your strength in war. Use your power to bless some of your followers to become Boit, the elevated race. You must work efficiently, for in three ages, the ascension comes, and the god with the most power will reign forever.

Overview
Boit uses trick-taking as the primary mechanic for area control. Because the winning suit is determined by map location rather than what is led, it is notably different than most trick-taking games. Players seek to collect faith through melding, capturing cards, and capturing map spaces that contain faith. Rather than a trump suit, players bid to elevate one of the races to the status of Boit. Boit is capable of winning in every dominion, but doesn't win automatically. Two other fun elements: Knights and mounts can be combined to become the highest ranking unit (a mounted knight). Assassins can be used to call specific cards out of your opponents hand, but if they don't have the card you name then the assassin becomes the low card. In its current state the game is very fun and well balanced. The game plays in 40 minutes for two players, but can accommodate up to four (with four playing in 2 partnerships).

Print and Play
Cards, rules, and board are all available. You'll find an inksaver version of the cards, but be sure to take a look at the full art. You should have 48 total cards for the game.

Rules and cards

You'll also need a bunch of counters. Cubes, pebbles, pennies--most anything will work to keep track of the currency in the game.

Thanks!
I've tested this with many friends, family, and strangers at a fantasy convention, but I want it to be a great game, so I need more outside opinions. Please give me any feedback you're willing. Thanks in advance for your time and efforts.

Edit: Added info for full-art deck.
Edit 5/21: Changed game name in subject line.
Edit 7/9: Removed old cover image.
Edit 4/4/16: Changed game name
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Boit: light strategy, 2-4 players, PnP
Here are two card samples. As an artist, I love the visual aspect of games. Even though I'm still fine-tuning rules and play, I've been working on the illustrations this summer. It's something I enjoy.

This is a young female squire from the stonedwellers. She's training to become a knight.

Here is a full knight from the avis race. The spear is their weapon of choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Two more card samples.

The treefolk mount of choice is a tiger. I've always said that cool people ride tigers.

I just finished this one this morning. The "10 Blades" of any race is the most powerful stand-alone card. Of course, the 10 Blades can always be assassinated, or be beaten by a mounted knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I completed a new card yesterday. The Dix of any race is the religious figure/priest. In battles they rank low, but they can beat an assassin that isn't being used to assassinate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Boit: light strategy, 2-4 players, (2014 Card Game Design Contest)
Quote:
Great artwork! Transparent backgrounds around the card numbers? Good luck.

Thanks! To be clear, the background isn't transparent as on plastic cards, but I did lighten close to white for legibility. I never want textures or artwork to interfere with gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is really a new take on pinochle. I asked myself, what would pinochle look like if it weren't abstract? What would things in pinochle mean? It seemed obvious that taking tricks was like participating in battles. But why did one suit (the suit that was led) always win? And what about trump?

I decided that if each suit was a different race, then I could imagine races being particularly well suited to certain environments. For example, Avis can fly, so they win in the sky. Originally the game didn't include a map, but I wanted one to deepen this part of the theme. My first map actually was designed so that from any space you were able to access any of the other four types of terrain. The current map - in which the terrain types are grouped - makes for much more interesting gameplay.

As for trump? I interpreted this as blessing a race to be more powerful than the others. In pinochle, the player that chooses trump tends to rule the hand. For this reason, I made Boit much less powerful than trump. Boit cards don't automatically win, but they can possibly win, even outside of their native terrain. The winner at that point is determined by rank. This was a balancing choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are two samples from the seafolk race. Seafolk make their armor out of crustacean shells. This first is the Knight.

And here's the squire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rules, it seems pretty simple. I'm going to try and get the parts printed out and throw some feedback your way as soon as possible (hopefully before the deadline)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've printed this out. I won't be able to get you any comments of substance before the deadline (tonight) but I'm going to try and table the game this week.

I have some concerns about the melding phase. The main purpose seems to be to encourage creative drafting, and make the drafting give away a bit more information (ie, for the assassin). However, I'm concerned that it will make the assassin card too easy to use (melding gives away a lot of information) and or, encourage "pro" players to take notes (in a 4p game memorizing the melds of everyone could be difficult - and it seems like an unnecessary memory overload). I haven't said anything, though, because these are the kinds of concerns that are hard to lay down without having played the game to see if it is an actual problem (or just an imagined one).

Looking forward to trying it out, sorry I couldn't get you something before the deadline though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
I have some concerns about the melding phase. The main purpose seems to be to encourage creative drafting, and make the drafting give away a bit more information (ie, for the assassin). However, I'm concerned that it will make the assassin card too easy to use (melding gives away a lot of information) and or, encourage "pro" players to take notes (in a 4p game memorizing the melds of everyone could be difficult - and it seems like an unnecessary memory overload). I haven't said anything, though, because these are the kinds of concerns that are hard to lay down without having played the game to see if it is an actual problem (or just an imagined one).

Thanks for reading the rules and considering them deeply enough to come up with this question. I'll be interested to see what you think about melding after you've played the game. The melding does give information for assassins. I've had players choose not to meld - and miss out on the points - in order to keep information secret. That was an earlier iteration of the game. With the current point values, I haven't had players choose to do that. Because assassins must be led, and because they must be played in their own dominion, and because melds aren't usually huge, they seem to be checked in power. In my playtesting, assassins seem to be the least powerful in a four-player game.

You mention taking notes. Although I don't address it in the rules, I strongly discourage note taking. Perhaps I need to state that explicitly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's necessary to even mention note taking. I just use that as a metric to identify memory elements in games (and I try to remove memory from games not designed to have it). If memory is supposed to be part of the game, then you shouldn't read any further into the note taking comment.

Looking forward to giving it a try soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I've entered this game in the Card Game Design Contest I won't be updating rules until after the contest ends. In my most recent playtesting session we were able to get another four player game going. So far the game has been tested most often as a two player game.

The problem I'm running into in four player is that the Assassin is under-powered. Because the assassin must be led in order to execute an assassination, it is difficult to use in a four player game. I received some good feedback and I'm looking at a couple of options.

1. The assassin can target any player who hasn't yet played a card in the current battle. In addition, a player doesn't have to name which of their two opponents they are targeting.

2. The assassin can be used to call a card out of an opponent's hand even in situations where it cannot win the battle.

The other suggestion from this last round of testing was to give meld value to the dix. I'm going to implement that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic work on this one!

When will the artwork for pages 5 and 6 will be done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
BigDumbYak wrote:
When will the artwork for pages 5 and 6 will be done?

The final artwork is still at least a month out. I have another art project that will be keeping me busy through October. For this game, I'm still working on refining some rules, particularly with four players. I need to get a couple more plays in before I update the rules I have online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been through a couple more iterations. I've introduced a more formal area control element. After each battle, players place a control marker in the contested space. At the end of each age, players gain four faith for every realm in which they control a majority of spaces.

I've also redesigned the cards to include symbols instead of letters. This makes the cards look a lot less like face cards. At this point the game no longer feels like trick taking. It simply feels like card driven combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has continued to evolve. I've put the game through more playtests and several blind play tests and the rules are nice and clean now. In March I took a fresh prototype to SaltCon in Utah. The rules and game design are at a point where I feel like I can begin to make final art and design choices.

The new title is The Elevated of Prim. I'm reworking the graphic design for the cards and illustrating the board. I'm a school teacher, and in two weeks I'll be able to focus on the production full time. So far, this as been a fun and difficult journey.

Radiant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Elevated of Prim (was Boit)
Here is a draft logo for the game:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've painted new backgrounds for each of the races. These aren't final, but they're getting there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received printed cards for more blind testing. I was excited by the way the details showed up when professionally printed. Unfortunately, yellows came through too strong. I'll figure out the printer profiles thing for the real deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david fillis
England
Southport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boit wrote:
Just received printed cards for more blind testing. I was excited by the way the details showed up when professionally printed. Unfortunately, yellows came through too strong. I'll figure out the printer profiles thing for the real deal.

They look very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now I'm getting feedback on the box art over in the Art and Graphic Design forum. I've changed the name (again). I've had the game at two conventions where I got lots more eyes on it. The game play is streamlined and refined. The formal rulebook is in progress and the rules have been in blind testing for a while. They're getting very close. Things are going well

edit: added convention info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, I've come a long way. I will be attempting to fund a printing of Radiant on Kickstarter. Much of my recent work has not been on the game, but instead has been on the Kickstarter campaign page. I'll be launching on August 30th.

I have the game in the hands of three reviewers. Crossing my fingers that they enjoy the game and have something positive to say. This journey has been far more difficult than I intended when I set out to illustrate a custom pinochle deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the project is finally on Kickstarter. We'll see if we can get to the next step!
www.kickstarter.com/projects/tinshoe/radiant-0?ref=bggforums

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.