Subject: Wargames in Fuyang rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean McKenzie
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
I will be in Fuyang, Anhui in 2 months, and for 10 moths after that.

Anyone know any places/people?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Middle of nowhere, man. You'll be lucky to find any gamers at all, much less wargamers. At least you'll miss the summer heat. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McKenzie
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks.

I like many of you I suspect, will be an English Teacher. I plan on teaching my students. I already have approval for this, although my guess is in fact, they do not really know what I am talking about when I say games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamish Sterling
Australia
Cairns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hi Sean - I was an English teacher for 8 years in China.

Only once or twice did I take in a board game to an adult class. RISK and Monopoly.

It's a difficult sell to have students and school cronies accept this as a teaching method. At the very least, you'll be teaching some vocabulary but you should never allow for any chance of criticism from a parent, colleague or student for wasting time.

Take it from me, as I've taught kindy through to advanced professional classes......you need to be 'showing' that you're imparting knowledge.

Restyling games into classroom activities are acceptable...but only as a means of re-enforcing vocab or grammar.

A great way to teach numbers and letters is to play a simple Battleship styled game with the class. Have you grid map drawn and your 'items' in place. As an example.....you could say the students are farmers looking for carrots to feed their rabbit. You can call on students one by one to say a letter & number, and you can respond with a simple yes or no.

Depending on the age group, replace the back story. Have students mining for diamonds or hunting for treasure.

These type of games are still relatively new for a classroom environment in China and they are proven to work in a fun & educational sense.

As for the wargames - if you have some tutoring gigs on the side with some advanced students, they'd be more likely to be interested. Or even at an English corner.

Good luck - it's all about entertaining the young kids, repetition and common language usage with adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten months doesn't sound like a long-enough time to settle into or start a wargaming group.

Why not ingratiate yourself with the locals a bit and learn the games they like to play? Perhaps learn Go or Xiangqi from the students in your class?

It sounds like a tremendous opportunity to learn from them as they learn from you. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
Middle of nowhere, man. You'll be lucky to find any gamers at all, much less wargamers. At least you'll miss the summer heat. Good luck!

seconded.

however if you have any chances to visit Shanghai you may contact me (or Asmodee). I don't play wargames but I know a gaming group often gathering in Asmodee's, part of which are wargame geeks.

There're some board game groups in Nanjing too, but I'm not sure if any of them play wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McKenzie
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well thanks everyone.

OK, yes the games are intended for the English Corner. And I am bringing simpler ones (Through the Ages, Illuminati) and some China themed ones (Manchu). My Students are College Students, but my guess is there English will not be in general excellent.

10 months: I am originally from NYC now in Honolulu, HI. 10 months is my contract, whether or not it will be renewed etc....

Going to China is not like moving to another part of the US. I can not unilaterally decide to stay.

Still I am looking for people, my expectation is in fact there would not be many.

I intend to take a look/try at Chinese Chess, which I think I have actually played before. The place I am from in Brooklyn is Brooklyn's Chinatown. But I haven't lived there for 20 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiroshi Tamura
Japan
Setagaya
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to this thread in Baidu, unfortunately there seems no wargamer in Anhui.
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3118945981
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McKenzie
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks. Is baidu near Fuyang?

And/or, What is baidu?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smckenzie wrote:
Thanks. Is baidu near Fuyang?

And/or, What is baidu?

Baidu is a portal website, like Yahoo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiroshi Tamura
Japan
Setagaya
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About Baidu, please refer to Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baidu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McKenzie
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looks like I AM NOT GOING TO fUYANG, BUT THANKS FOR THE POSTS.

I WILL OPEN UP A NEW FORUM.

I AM GOING TO Zhengzhou. I expect my visa in a couple of days and then I will leave a few days after that. Finally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.