Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a dice competition going on here link and here is my submission to the standard dice game category.

Title: Magic the dicening
Designer: Michael Lindon
Players: 2-5
Ages: 10+
Playing Time: ??? minutes

My submission is Magic the dicening. The game is as you would expect, taking magic the gathering and dicefying it. Instead of drawing cards and gaining mana, you get 1 additional dice each turn to spend on various spells and summons, which is pre-determined by your current faction.

The goal is to make a fun and strategic dice game that will gain the same popularity as the game it is based on

Here is the link to the current game rules Note, this is very early in development. So, if you have any new ideas for the factions or ways to make it better, I would love to hear them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a "M:tG" dice game I call Fire and Dice in the works for a year. I'll throw up my progress once home and we can compare notes.

Maybe I'll dust it off and enter it in for more feedback. Hmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fong
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remember to avoid copyright infringement. the mana symbols as well as some of the card names have a copyright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
That actually sounds like a rather interesting idea. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like you could just do Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men with a few adjustments. Change the different energy to different color mana, bring back the spells from Quarriors!...

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JewellGames wrote:
I've had a "M:tG" dice game I call Fire and Dice in the works for a year. I'll throw up my progress once home and we can compare notes.

Maybe I'll dust it off and enter it in for more feedback. Hmmm...

Cool, I can't wait to see it.

EBWonder wrote:
remember to avoid copyright infringement. the mana symbols as well as some of the card names have a copyright.

This is a free game for the competition, if it gets popular and I want to take it to the next step I will worry about copyright.

McTeddy wrote:
That actually sounds like a rather interesting idea. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Awesome, well stay tuned for further updates

marcnelsonjr wrote:
Seems like you could just do Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men with a few adjustments. Change the different energy to different color mana, bring back the spells from Quarriors!...

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Not quite my goal with this one, I have never have been a fan of the random dice pull. But, I have multiple ideas for keeping the game fresh from game to game, as well as some ways to keep things consistent with the source material. So, stay tuned and I appreciate the support
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update - I created my own thread here: Fire and Dice

I would love to enter it into the contest but there is no way I can keep the rules under 500 words. Plus, I already entered my other dice game, Paradice, and am still looking for designers that want to work on the PYL racing game outlined in the contest thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While we have some similarities, they seem to be two very different systems. Mine definitely strays a little more from the original inspiration.

It will be cool to see how these both develop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Dice?
Dicemaster: Cities of Doom?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

Yep those are related but play quite different compared to our ideas, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JewellGames wrote:
Here is a preview of Fire and Dice, my "M:tG dice game":

Cool! Definitely a different and well-thought out take on the game I am working on.

So, to let a few cats out of the bag, my future plans don't include working with a whole bunch of unique dice. But, instead use the dice layout mentioned (most likely custom in the end) with different colors to mirror the various mana types and then allow players to build a small deck of spells from which players spend mana on during play (how this works is completely up in the air, some thoughts are a limited group of spells a player always has or a deck they draw from). In addition, players will also always have faction abilities they can use.

Just as in your game, my thoughts are that dice used for creatures, spells, etc will be locked up until the spell fizzles or the creature dies. So, it has a similar system there.

Of course, this is all in the very early idea stages, but runs very close to the MtG format, whereas yours breaks away pretty well. Do you have WIP page for your game?

JewellGames wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

Yep those are related but play quite different compared to our ideas, in my opinion.

I concur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nitro9090 wrote:
JewellGames wrote:
Here is a preview of Fire and Dice, my "M:tG dice game":

Cool! Definitely a different and well-thought out take on the game I am working on. Do you have WIP page for your game?

Yes, I agree it looks cool and needs a thread if it doesn't have one. It looks like your game will give players a decent number of options & the blank faces = two resources is a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nitro9090 wrote:
my future plans don't include working with a whole bunch of unique dice. But, instead use the dice layout mentioned (most likely custom in the end) with different colors to mirror the various mana types

I like the fact that you're using standard dice in different colours rather than custom dice. It'd make the game fairly easy for people to playtest. In fact if you only ever use a single colour dice then you wouldn't have to use the colour that matched your faction for testing.

Magic the dicening.docx wrote:

1 = 1/1 creatures, may combine multiple to gain a 2/2, 3/3, etc. creature (you must use 1 of your dice to
represent this creature, 1 pip is a 1/1 creature, 2 pips is a 2/2 creature)
2 = faction specific creature
3 = faction specific sorcery
4 = faction specific instant
5 = mana of the dice’s color
6 = pick an option

So if I have 7 dice and rolled 1123456 and I was red I could do the following:

116 - place a 3/3 creature
2 - place a faction specific creature (a 1/1 creature w/ haste)
3 - give the 3/3 creature I just placed +1/-1 and haste until end of turn
4 - deal 1 damage to target creature or player (presumably I could save this dice & use this on your turn)
5 - use my 1 mana to create a 1/1 goblin creature

Alternatively:
11 - place a 2/2 creature
3456 - 3 mana - rockstorm sorcery - destroy target player’s dice

Have I understood correctly?

BTW Does rockstorm sorcery destroy all the target player’s dice? If so it seems a bit overpowered, if not I'd clarify that it's a single die (and use die as the singular, I know most people use dice as singular but in game rules I'd recommend using die for clarity and avoiding irritating rules questions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
nitro9090 wrote:
my future plans don't include working with a whole bunch of unique dice. But, instead use the dice layout mentioned (most likely custom in the end) with different colors to mirror the various mana types

I like the fact that you're using standard dice in different colours rather than custom dice. It'd make the game fairly easy for people to playtest. In fact if you only ever use a single colour dice then you wouldn't have to use the colour that matched your faction for testing.

Magic the dicening.docx wrote:

1 = 1/1 creatures, may combine multiple to gain a 2/2, 3/3, etc. creature (you must use 1 of your dice to
represent this creature, 1 pip is a 1/1 creature, 2 pips is a 2/2 creature)
2 = faction specific creature
3 = faction specific sorcery
4 = faction specific instant
5 = mana of the dice’s color
6 = pick an option

So if I have 7 dice and rolled 1123456 and I was red I could do the following:

116 - place a 3/3 creature
3 - give the 3/3 creature I just placed +1/-1 and haste until end of turn
4 - deal 1 damage to target creature or player (presumably I could save this dice & use this on your turn)
5 - use my 1 mana to create a 1/1 goblin creature

Alternatively:
11 - place a 2/2 creature
3456 - 3 mana - rockstorm sorcery - destroy target player’s dice

Have I understood correctly?

BTW Does rockstorm sorcery destroy all the target player’s dice? If so it seems a bit overpowered, if not I'd clarify that it's a single die (and use die as the singular, I know most people use dice as singular but in game rules I'd recommend using die for clarity and avoiding irritating rules questions)

Thanks for reading the instructions! You described the play options exactly right. And you are correct, Rockstorm should say it destroys 1 dice or else it would be very OP. I will clarify that the next chance I get.

As for multicolor dice, for this competition two dice colors are what is suggested in order to differentiate between creature dice and mana dice. More dice colors and cards are both things I would implement after the dice competition, assuming people show continued interest in the game. The reason for multicolor dice is so people can play with a multicolor deck and multicolor factions, something I have always found to be limited in MtG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nitro9090 wrote:
for this competition two dice colors are what is suggested in order to differentiate between creature dice and mana dice.

So the creature dice are separate from the mana dice? My interpretation of the rules was that if I rolled as per my example above & used 116 to place a 3/3 creature then I'd take one of those 3 dice, turn it to a 3 & stick it in my tableau as a 3/3 creature, thus still only having 7 dice to roll next turn. That might make for some interesting decisions.

nitro9090 wrote:
The reason for multicolor dice is so people can play with a multicolor deck and multicolor factions, something I have always found to be limited in MtG.

I like that idea. Since each faction doesn't have that many options then having dice from more than one faction could give you options (you could even have a central pool of dice & players could chose their additional die from each turn, if you both went for the same faction you might run out and be forced to switch to another faction...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
nitro9090 wrote:
for this competition two dice colors are what is suggested in order to differentiate between creature dice and mana dice.

So the creature dice are separate from the mana dice? My interpretation of the rules was that if I rolled as per my example above & used 116 to place a 3/3 creature then I'd take one of those 3 dice, turn it to a 3 & stick it in my tableau as a 3/3 creature, thus still only having 7 dice to roll next turn. That might make for some interesting decisions.

You make a valid point. I do want the creatures to use up a dice, but am concerned that players will accidentally pick up their creature dice when getting ready to roll. But, I think my concerns are overblown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you still working on this?

My own "MtG" dice game is on hold simply because my time is invested in my Dungeon Draw game until the card game contest is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have put it on hold because my gaming group isn't interested in this type of game (so it is hard to do playtesting) and I am busy with several other game designs at the moment (some of which are reaching the point where I want publishers to look at it). Thanks for checking in.

However, I can take a look at your dungeon draw game if you send me the link. Also, I am beginning a search for game designers interested in trading games for blind playtesting, pm me if you have any interest in that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.