GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,496 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have access to this, the Trollfens, everything in the base set, and 2 lieutenants (Trystayne and Rylan).

Based on reviews and comments it sounds like each successive expansion has been progressively evolving the game experience itself so I'm wondering if Nerekhall might just be the best place to start a new group off?

Players are all very experienced gamers (though none with Descent) and given the significant time commitments involved, offering the richest possible experience right off the bat is the surest way to seriously engage them.

The first night's 4-6 hour gaming session will be decisive in whether or not they'll be interested in going further with the campaign.

I know some of the older FFG games like Mansions had later expansions which so improved the gameplay that many suggest them as the best place to introduce new players. Do you feel the same way about Descent 2E?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I have heard about Nerekhall it offers a much more interesting campaign with decisions for the Overlord about which townsfolk he will corrupt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While they might be experienced players it would be still nice to spend 30 minutes(with you preparing the encounter beforehand) to go trough First Blood from base campaign, just to show off the rules. Not as part of a campaign. Otherwise you(I assume you will be the OL) will have too easy time in introduction quest of Nerekhall.

That, or make sure to help heroes a lot, remind them of using fatigue to move, suggest good tactics and so on.

Structure of Nerekhall campaign is much better than original campaign. Act 1 quests in original were pretty repetitive(since you had only 5. Nerekhall has 8), and very unbalanced. In Nerekhall it's how you play the quest, not which one you choose that decides the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd second Rafal's idea. Play at least First Blood so you all have the rules and the flow of the gameplay down. I'd even say that a group could benefit from spending XP and Gold and playing one Act I quest from the Shadow Rune campaign, just to get a better feel for how characters grow and what effects that has on gameplay.

Then, after that, start over with a Nerekhall campaign. The heroes may then want to choose different heroes/classes, and the overlord might want to pick a different OL deck, knowing better what to expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly the kind of advice I was looking for, thanks!

How much time should I budget for the first evening then if it's going to include rules explanation, First Blood, an opportunity for all to potentially re-choose their heroes, and then Kick off Nerekhall?

Also, since I already have the Trollfens, would you suggest mixing some or all of that material in as well or no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say around 8 hours. About 1 hour for First Blood(with setup and explaining rules as you go), 2-3 hours for 2nd quest of Shadow Rune and 2-3 hours for first quest in Nerekhall. Rest is for hero selection, encounter setups, campaign phases and misc.

My heroes usually play 1 quest around 3 hours.

You should mix in everything from Trollfens. You get only 2 more heroes, so it won't hinder their selection time too much. Only 2 classes, so that also won't slow things much. It won't change the amount of items you'll see during this time, so you can safely increase the market decks. You don't have to tell them what rumor cards are for, just tell them those 3 cards will be used in the future. If they find Secret Room then you'll explain what it is when it appears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd do first blood and the second quest to get them down with the rules along with character re-selection the first evening of gaming. (4hours ish). Then read them the background for Nerekhall to get them eager for the next session.

No point in cramming it all into the first session as they could get burnt out. Also evening sessions are usually 3-5 hours in my experience. 8 hours would be an all day session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thraxar wrote:
Also evening sessions are usually 3-5 hours in my experience. 8 hours would be an all day session.

We most often game with friends that travel a fair bit and meet on the weekend to allow for playing as late as we like.

So we pretty much always meet for at least 4-6 hours otherwise it's just not worth the commute.

For example our last gathering was to play a 6P session of TI3, though obviously that ran far longer than most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.