Popular Tags: [View All]
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ran into a weird situation with the rules. I played a platform speech card which allowed me to place my cubes in a particular region. My opponent played a reaction to that card which negated my placement of cubes in that region. What happened next is that I played my personal appearance in an attempt to cancel the reaction. The other player argued that I was not able to do that and that I am only allowed to cancel "actions" with the personal appearance and that a reaction was not an "action" for the purposes of Personal Appearances.

I pointed out that a reaction was a type of action for the purposes of the game, and that's when the other player surprised me by pulling out a rule cite and making the point that in the rules under the definition of Action in 7.0 that a reaction is not among the actions listed in the definition. I looked at the rules for a mention of reactions and could not find one. Additionally I looked under the Rule 10.0 which dealt with personal appearances and was not able to find anything there with respect to how reactions and personal appearances interact, but it did seem to incorporate the definition in Rule 7.0. As a result, I put it to the table with my formula for settling good faith rule disputes quickly and ended up deferring to the other player's interpretation.

Nevertheless, I think we played it wrong and I was wondering if anyone (maybe even Alex who has been a away from this board way too long) can weigh in with either a rule cite that I missed or an opinion that could clarify things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I scoured this board for all posts by Alex in an attempt to clarify this issue and believe it or not I found the answer. Apparently, notwithstanding the rule cite by the other player it seems we played it wrong and a personal appearance does allow you to cancel another player's reaction to your action. Alex actually said this in this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/778265/personal-appearance-q.... It was in an answer to another question I posted to him also about personal appearances and these are the relevant parts that answered the question:

Sol Invictus wrote:
A Personal Appearance is a reaction and as such can at least theoretically be played at any time.

Sol Invictus wrote:
You could...play the Personal Appearance to cancel a reaction being played to cancel your action...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.