Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Lundrigan
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite interested in trying out the Star Trek Attack Wing game, I love all the possible ship expansions that are available..

I'm somewhat curious though, how many newer people get involved with Star Trek? Unlike Star Wars that seems to renew and expand on itself so much over the years, Star Trek lives on only in re-runs.

Is the theme attractive to newcomers?
Ships like Galaxy class, Nova class etc. might mean nothing to most gamers, but only be of interest to people who are well knowledged in all things Star Trek..

All I know is that I grew up with it all, and am a die hard fan! Who's with me!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert D. Spake
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Well there are the new movies that have brought people into the fold.

I've been a Trekkie pretty much my whole life but I haven't yet played Attack Wing. I do have Fleet Captains though (amazing) and the deck building game (not so amazing).

As far as people getting into it, I think it's one of those things where the strength of the game will help. If it's a good game then people can enjoy playing it without knowing all the history and stuff, but if you do know the history then you'll get a bit more out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon and Robert E. Lee seem to keep selling games without having to fight new wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Desperado902 wrote:
Unlike Star Wars that seems to renew and expand on itself so much over the years, Star Trek lives on only in re-runs.

Star Wars: 6 movies, 1 TV series (that I'm aware of - correct me if I'm wrong)
Star Trek: 12 movies, 5 TV series

Which one has been expanded more again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Desperado902 wrote:

I'm somewhat curious though, how many newer people get involved with Star Trek? Unlike Star Wars that seems to renew and expand on itself so much over the years, Star Trek lives on only in re-runs.

There are still novels etc written in the Star Trek universe. Plus the new 'reboot' movies.

Not sure why you'd need anything more than the re-runs though; all the best Captains were bald
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archonsod wrote:
Desperado902 wrote:

There are still novels etc written in the Star Trek universe. Plus the new 'reboot' movies.

Not sure why you'd need anything more than the re-runs though; all the best Captains were bald

Wait, what? - That was a wig Janeway was wearing?? wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Star Trek series are some of the best performing shows on Netflix according to reports from a couple of months ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Desperado902 wrote:
Unlike Star Wars that seems to renew and expand on itself so much over the years, Star Trek lives on only in re-runs.

Star Wars gains at least one new TV series (Rebels) and 5 movies in the next 6 years.

Still a few hundred hours short of Trek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Desperado902 wrote:

Star Wars gains at least one new TV series (Rebels) and 5 movies in the next 6 years.

Still a few hundred hours short of Trek.

Also, forgot the animated series of Trek, so six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have the new Star Trek movies really brought anybody new into the fold? I mean sure, some people who aren't existing Trek fans probably watch them, and like them, but I doubt many people have watched them and then got into TOS or Next Generation as a result. And for a lot of the old school fans, the new films seem to have done as much to turn them off the franchise as renew their interest in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
piemasteruk wrote:
Have the new Star Trek movies really brought anybody new into the fold? I mean sure, some people who aren't existing Trek fans probably watch them, and like them, but I doubt many people have watched them and then got into TOS or Next Generation as a result. And for a lot of the old school fans, the new films seem to have done as much to turn them off the franchise as renew their interest in it.
The new Star Trek movies appeal to "normal people" who never liked Star Trek, precisely because they're not Star Trek movies really, they're just Star-Wars-styled movies with Star Trek characters.

Pete (is of hearing people say "I never liked Star Trek until the reboot came out")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Desperado902 wrote:

you forgot the SW Tv Christmas Special in the 70s, the Droids, and Ewoks cartoon in the 80s, the Ewok Adventure movie,.
There maybe more tv shows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasperrdm wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Desperado902 wrote:

you forgot the SW Tv Christmas Special in the 70s, the Droids, and Ewoks cartoon in the 80s, the Ewok Adventure movie,.
I have those on a "special" shelf. I pull them out when I want to ruin a Star Wars fan's life!

Pete (keeps the VCR for moments like those)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasperrdm wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Desperado902 wrote:

I didn't forget them, I blocked them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Attack Wing copies a lot over from X-Wing, but X-Wing is a much better game. If you get into Star Trek: Attack Wing, then this is what you are in for:

card effect stacking that wipes out any hope of it being a tactical game

horrible mash-ups of abstracted rules & pathetically referential phrases that pass for wonderfully thematic

card interactions that got the FAQ up over 200 edits before it conveniently got reset by someone else taking over

severe imbalance issues

ships not equipped with weapons that come standard

1 shot kills on capital ships

ships that remain fully functional even when they do take damage that doesn't finish them off in 1 shot

ships that are of comparable abilities despite the fact that they are of designs that span 200 years of getting bigger and more advanced

better firing arcs on older ships than on newer ships

crews so incompetent that they have to be told several times to go to battlestations

crews so incompetent that even with several hundred persons aboard, can only do 1 thing at a time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
Star Trek: Attack Wing copies a lot over from X-Wing, but X-Wing is a much better game. If you get into Star Trek: Attack Wing, then this is what you are in for:

crews so incompetent that they have to be told several times to go to battlestations

This is seriously a thing? The engineers take a snack break in the middle of the battle and have to be told to get back to work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuronaut wrote:
Broadstorm wrote:

This is seriously a thing? The engineers take a snack break in the middle of the battle and have to be told to get back to work?

Yes. The focus action in X-Wing became battlestations in Attack Wing. It allows you to augment either offensively or defensively once per turn by converting the dice with that symbol into hits or evades. You have to choose an action each turn. The focus action makes sense because you have a crew of 1 who can only do 1 thing at a time. The crew of a ship has to select battlestations each turn. Not all factions have that problem though because some factions don't even have the battlestations option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Also, forgot the animated series of Trek, so six.
Some folks (not necessarily me) might fix this for you thusly:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Also, forget the animated series of Trek, it sux.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.