10 Posts

Vampire: The Eternal Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: V:TES vampires based on non-fictional/historical persons? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Burpo the Great
Sweden
flag msg tools
I've noticed that quite a lot of the vampires featured in the V:TES card game has a real historical person that they are based upon.

Here is the ones I've found (so far):

Aleister Crowley
Bela (Lugosi)
Camille Devereux
Francois Villon
Horatio Ballard
Ingram Frizer
Joaquin Murrieta
John Dee
Nefertiti
Ur Shulgi

It would be fun to see if there is any more such vampires? Anyone that can help me complete the list? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kohei Nomura
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mata Hari
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't Smiling Jack based on someone specific? A 17th century pirate from the Caribbean?

There's actually a bunch of historical figures littered through the tabletop game, and some of the "serial numbers filed off" analogs are a lot more apparent there, when you have a full biography to work from.

I could have sworn that Crowley was a sorcerer or mage in setting and not a vampire, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count Germaine
Themistocles
Helena (Helen of Troy)
Enkidu, The Noah
Esau
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Burns
United States
Dupont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crowley was turned in a vampire by Malkavians as a political play to embarrass another clan called Tremere. Crowley did practice his pseudo-magic and then when he was turned into a vamp he though he actually had magic powers then ,but then he was quite mad by then due to mind control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
j-train1 wrote:
Crowley was turned in a vampire by Malkavians as a political play to embarrass another clan called Tremere. Crowley did practice his pseudo-magic and then when he was turned into a vamp he though he actually had magic powers then ,but then he was quite mad by then due to mind control.

Of course, no one trusts the Tremere completely, because they were originally Hermetics that tried to use one of the antediluvians to become immortal. I can't remember who's antediluvian, though.

The Giovani did something similar with Capadocous... but, I want to say the Tremere snuffed Saulot (the Salubri antediluvian) along with a few Tzimisce to become vampires.

Incidentally the Cappadocians are where we get the Harbingers of Skulls. Those are actually original Cappadocians that got sealed underground, when Cappadocious betrayed them. They crossed over into the underworld at some point, and spent centuries trying to find a way back into the mortal world. They actually got intermittent references in Wraith before the Harbingers got formally added to Vampire... IIRC.

Anyway, my V:TM lore is a little shaky... so some of that might be a little off...

Also, at least in table top, Vlad Dracul is (or was) a member of the Tzimisce, before the development of vicissitude. Which is why there's a separate Old Tzimisce clan in the Bloodlines set. The clan actually scisimed sometime in the 14th(?) century. Though, a lot of clans (including the Gangrel, Ventrue, and modern Tzimisce all lay claim to Dracula occasionally.)

EDIT: Typo

EDIT 2: So, I went digging around, and ended up with the Order of Hermes book, which says that Crowley was an Awakened Mage, and ended up turning Nephandi, before being killed in the late 40s by either the Virtual Adepts or NWO... though it makes a point of saying the kill wasn't confirmed... so... *shrugs*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kohei wrote:
Mata Hari
Even though the art doesn't really look like the real Dutch girl.

Edit:
Ooh, I got one! Erich Weiss aka Harry Houdini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Peal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Ulugh Beg, The Watcher

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulugh_Beg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, here's a weird little footnote from the setting...

Lambach Ruthven is Vlad Tepes' sire. The rumor, in setting, was that the actual Lambach is long dead, and he's actually "now" just a cover identity Dracula uses to influence the Sabat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Peal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I posed the question to the folks on vekn.net, lots of replies:

http://vekn.net/forum/5-generic-vtes-discussion/64127-histor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.