Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Lewis & Clark» Forums » General

Subject: So, which is your favourite card (that nobody else seems to notice)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias Pseudonym
msg tools
Recently played some solo games of this (with a nice small mountain range on spaces 9 - 12), and remembered how fond I am of the Joseph Gravelines card, which lets you spend fewer pelts when recruiting new characters. And buying lots of cards is a ot of fun (more fun than just repeating some big 3 card combo).

Without having to worry about pelts, you can go for a huge lot of different strategies, and can even change it easily midways (if a better level 3 card shows up, you can simply get it by discarding one of the level 3 cards you had before - no work involved at all).

Gravelines, to me, is the king of versatility (Sacagawea, of course, is the queen ). Which card do you love to have in your expedition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
mbmbmb
If James Mackay #32 is available early, I'm going to go get him. Then, it just becomes a matter of getting horses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite one-two punch is Hay and that card that lets you travel 7 for one of each basic resource. There's other, better stuff, but people are constantly underestimating Hay. That dude is VERSATILE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Pseudonym
msg tools
hanibalicious wrote:
My favourite one-two punch is Hay and that card that lets you travel 7 for one of each basic resource. There's other, better stuff, but people are constantly underestimating Hay. That dude is VERSATILE.

One-two punch? More like a four-five punch

Honestly, anytime I tried something with Hay, I found some better combo come along, but awesome if you make hin work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's why he's my favourite unnoticed character. Pound for pound, my favourite card is Sacagawea. She is a beast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoffman
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please say what the character does, not just a name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Newman (pay 1 food to move 1 mountain or river) did great work for me last night. Its such an easy mountain movement combo I got through the mountains just fine and didn't have to worry about horses at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tranenturm wrote:
John Newman (pay 1 food to move 1 mountain or river) did great work for me last night. Its such an easy mountain movement combo I got through the mountains just fine and didn't have to worry about horses at all.

He is preeeetty fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
tranenturm wrote:

I do like John Newman, but only if I have a good way to consistently get 3 food for one action, ideally with a 2-strength Black Cat (take 2 primary resources of your choice, identical or different). However, he is very boring to play, since you basically are not interacting with the other players or board spots in any way, but just slowly plodding along repeating the same cycle of actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Pseudonym
msg tools
Ryan Keane wrote:
tranenturm wrote:

I do like John Newman, but only if I have a good way to consistently get 3 food for one action, ideally with a 2-strength Black Cat (take 2 primary resources of your choice, identical or different). However, he is very boring to play, since you basically are not interacting with the other players or board spots in any way, but just slowly plodding along repeating the same cycle of actions.

Two-strength Black Cat? Why not simply the basic food-gatherer, powered by a level 2 card with a food badge?

Anyway, John Newman can be pretty good (for movement in the mountains), but at least for river movement you should get someone faster; so it won't be that "boring" a play style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.