Subject: Does anyone have experience with DDR? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are thinking of buying into the Dance Dance Revolution craze (along with our kids), and I was wondering if anyone here had experience with it.

Currently, we have a GameCube, but were thinking of buying a PS/2 off of eBay to get the better versions of DDR (or so we've read).

Related note: I heard that West Virginia was putting DDR in the gym classes of every junior high school to promote physical fitness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, I enjoyed it. Have a couple of dance pads, the original PSX release, and Konamix. It's fun. Guitar Hero is what I'd rather play these days for a rhythm game fix, but DDR is a great source of exercise.

Warning: You'll get these songs stuck in your head for days!

I only wish some of the superior 2nd and 3rd mix songs ever made it stateside. I stopped keeping up with the releases, but there were lots of stuff I don't think had made it to the US by that time--"Butterfly" was a favorite, and I always liked most of the Captain Jack catalog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have DDR for our PS2 and X-box. We used the cheapo pads, moved up to the slightly more expensive ones (which didn't work well for us; on a carpetted floor, they slid around too much and also the plastic cover cracked) and finally bought the Cobalt Flux metal pads, which are great. I haven't tried Guitar Hero, but DDR is a lot of fun. My wife uses it regularly as part or her workout routine. There are several (3 or 4, I think) games you can get with a nice mix of songs on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About the metal pads: can they be easily put away? or slid under a couch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have the original PS1 DDR, we purchased the second to the cheapest pads thinking that they'd be better. Then we used a friend's DDR with the very cheapest pads and thought there was no difference.

It is great exercise, my kids will do it a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Not since they re-unified with the west.

/har dee har har

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
Not since they re-unified with the west.

/har dee har har

I was going with Direct Debit Request, until I read the first post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Anyone with a HDTV should take note that the PS2 generates interlaced video, and as such there will be a mild delay in the upconverting of the video signal that can make the audio out of sync with the video.

The the best cases, this is mild. However learning to compensate for it means your DDR skills are nontransferable and you will find DDR on a synced set extremely difficult.

In the worst cases, it makes the game utterly unplayable.

Actual results depend on the make/model/year of your set.

All games will experience this, however only Bemani type games like DDR and Guitar Freak will really be affected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Try StepMania...the DDR-ish freeware PC game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Anyone with a HDTV should take note that the PS2 generates interlaced video, and as such there will be a mild delay in the upconverting of the video signal that can make the audio out of sync with the video.

The the best cases, this is mild. However learning to compensate for it means your DDR skills are nontransferable and you will find DDR on a synced set extremely difficult.

In the worst cases, it makes the game utterly unplayable.

Actual results depend on the make/model/year of your set.

All games will experience this, however only Bemani type games like DDR and Guitar Freak will really be affected.

First, this doesn't take into account CRT HDTVs. Those don't have to upconvert anything, and suffer no delays.

There are many other HDTV setups that have a 'game' mode. In this mode, they simplify or bypass all the upconverting algorithms, depending on the HDTV tech, and concentrate on displaying the image as quickly as possible. If your TV has that mode, all you have to do is set it up, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have HDTV, so that issue won't affect me. Thanks everyone for your input so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:

No, not at all: they're kind of heavy, and I doubt they'd slide easily. At least, they don't slide on carpet - I think there are stoppers or something on the bottom so they may not slide well on a hard floor, either. We have them in our game room, out all the time. When not in use, there are 2 overstuffed bean-bag-like chairs (filled with styrofoam, I think?) that sit on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
snoozefest wrote:
Sinister Dexter wrote:

No, not at all: they're kind of heavy, and I doubt they'd slide easily. At least, they don't slide on carpet - I think there are stoppers or something on the bottom so they may not slide well on a hard floor, either. We have them in our game room, out all the time. When not in use, there are 2 overstuffed bean-bag-like chairs (filled with styrofoam, I think?) that sit on them.

I would caution that sitting on your pads will only wear out the button contacts sooner. Leaving them under compression is perhaps the worst thing you could do for them.

The metal pads are much much much much much more durable than the soft pads, but they are not indestructable and should be handled with care.

And while designed to not slide on carpet (so you don't have one fly out from under you while attempting a 9 foot Paranoia) they can be stored fairly easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it you don't think Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix is good enough? It's true that it doesn't get as hard as the other versions, but unless you have the 'gift' for Dance Dance Revolution and/or spend hours upon hours playing then it will be hard enough. The song selection isn't too bad either, with Mario/Donkey Kong mixes, Underground Mozart, Old Folks at Home, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (actually pretty fun) and others. I even prefer the Nintendo pads to other ones that I've tried. They seem more responsive.

For the PS2, Taiko Drum Master has awesome co-op, but they don't sell the drums separately (as far as I know) and you won't get an excercise like you would with DDR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
Try StepMania...the DDR-ish freeware PC game.

Might make a good addition to my media PC set up.
If I were to take the plunge, what pads should I look into?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.