jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow , its good to see the citizen take care of the problems on their own.

Quote:
Detroit has experienced 37 percent fewer robberies in 2014 than during the same period last year, 22 percent fewer break-ins of businesses and homes, and 30 percent fewer carjackings. Craig attributed the drop to better police work and criminals being reluctant to prey on citizens who may be carrying guns.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140716/METRO01/30716003...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leidich
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and I do love the story about "irrepressible gun owners" opening fire on innocent people'

I wonder what the rate of accidental shootings is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Not sure, I am sure its significantly lower then the number of intentional shootings by criminals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
...add to the equation the increasing exodus of population out of Detroit and the fact that most people remaining have nothing left worth stealing. I have not been to Detroit since 2005, but even then the pawn shops were having 50% off sales. Most crime is related to drug use - petty cash or semi-valuable items that can be fenced for a few bucks, people ain't got shit to steal. Give it a few more years when people are killing over food, fresh water and baby formula you'll see crime on the rise again. Even though your article says that there is a decrease Detroit was still the most violent city in the country last year and it has 10X the crime per square mile than the rest of Michigan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Not sure, I am sure its significantly lower then the number of intentional shootings by criminals.
So you are not sure...but sure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this conclusively proves Detroit's problems can be solved simply with more guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mrspank wrote:
I think this conclusively proves Detroit's problems can be solved simply with more guns.

Nah. It just demonstrates what should be obvious - if criminals know you're armed they're less likely to try and victimize you. While not solving any larger "social issues", responsible gun ownership can create a safer environment, which in turn frees local police to work harder confiscating illegal guns and jailing the criminals who possess them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
mrspank wrote:

Nah. It just demonstrates what should be obvious - if criminals know you're armed they're less likely to try and victimize you. While not solving any larger "social issues", responsible gun ownership can create a safer environment, which in turn frees local police to work harder confiscating illegal guns and jailing the criminals who possess them.
Except for TV crews it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
mrspank wrote:

What it really demonstrates is....nothing.

It's like a priest opining a good crop resulted from increased prayer.

Pronoblem was entirely correct to point out that short term demographic changes such as dwindling population and other intangibles might also be in play to explain a reduction in the gross number of violent crimes. The more relevant statistic for Detroit would be the per capita rate. I don't have access to that data but, the article writer ought to have done some digging.

I happen to agree with you that "responsible" gun ownership "can" result in a generally safer environment. However, this article and post do virtually nothing to competently advance that proposition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
mrspank wrote:

Pronoblem was entirely correct to point out that short term demographic changes such as dwindling population and other intangibles might also be in play to explain a reduction in the gross number of violent crimes. The more relevant statistic for Detroit would be the per capita rate. I don't have access to that data but, the article writer ought to have done some digging.

I happen to agree with you that "responsible" gun ownership "can" result in a generally safer environment. However, this article and post do virtually nothing to competently advance that proposition.

It's nothing like a priest, crops and prayer. It's what the police chief said. Crime has dropped and part of the reason is law-abiding citizens are not the only ones who are armed and dangerous. Just because you haven't been able to find the data doesn't mean the author of the article didn't locate it and use it.

Overall it's clear - you have a city once famous around the world for it's violence. Now you have a top cop who says armed citizens are one of many factors that have reduced overall crime in the city. You do have access to the per capita data as well. If you have any questions about how to quickly access data, skim it for key points and then rush back here to write a post where you pretend to be deeply knowledgeable I recommend you ask Dar for a few tips.

Detroit is still one of the top 5 or 10 most crime-ridden cities in America, per capita proven or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
mrspank wrote:

It's nothing like a priest, crops and prayer. It's what the police chief said. Crime has dropped and part of the reason is law-abiding citizens are not the only ones who are armed and dangerous. Just because you haven't been able to find the data doesn't mean the author of the article didn't locate it and use it.

Overall it's clear - you have a city once famous around the world for it's violence. Now you have a top cop who says armed citizens are one of many factors that have reduced overall crime in the city. You do have access to the per capita data as well. If you have any questions about how to quickly access data, skim it for key points and then rush back here to write a post where you pretend to be deeply knowledgeable I recommend you ask Dar for a few tips.

Detroit is still one of the top 5 or 10 most crime-ridden cities in America, per capita proven or not.

The author of the article didn't even say it, let alone locate and use evidence. Much of the article actually disputes it. It is only Police Chief James Craig that makes the claim. It isn't really much of an article at all one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
lfisher wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
mrspank wrote:

It is only Police Chief James Craig that makes the claim.

Who would know more about the subject, a Police Chief or anti-gun people in RSP?
Is he elected?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.