Subject: Paint the minis withouth getting paint on the bases, suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I want to paint the miniatures for Earth Reborn but don´t want to get paint on the bases. What do you think is the best solution? Just be really careful or maybe put some tape on the base (that is not too sticky)? Or just cut the mini loose with a knife and then glue it back on? (Then i can spray it for the basecoat as usual).

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary smith
United Kingdom
Salisbury
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Just be careful, that's what I did.

The minis are primed so you don't need to undercoat them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mks
Poland
Loguivy
Côtes d'Armor, Bretagne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the minis are stuck into the bases and glued a little bit. what I did was just carefully remove the minis from those bases. you would need a knife, because of the glue - try carfully inserting the knife from all sides of each contact point (mostly legs) (some minis do not even need this step). then just pull the minis out - be carefull to pull both legs together in order not to damage the mini (they aren't THAT fragile though).
et voilà
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about trying blu-tack covering the base?. It moulds easy and peels away easy afterwards. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
How about trying blu-tack covering the base?. It moulds easy and peels away easy afterwards. thumbsup

Also known as 'poster putty' I highly suggest this. Affordable and very efficient.

thumbsup thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RruinerR wrote:

Also known as 'poster putty' I highly suggest this. Affordable and very efficient.

Hey, at least I get to know what you call blu-tack in the USA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stickers are laminated, so the acrylic paints can be easily wiped off. It wasn't hard to paint carefully around the sticker area. Keep a damp rag or paper towel handy. Frankly, I'd be more concerned about messing up the cutting and gluing part, if you were to remove the figures from the bases. Having cut many figures off bases, I know how easy it is to leave a part of the foot behind or accidentally smear the glue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen the special modeling masking tape from Tamiya recommended on similar threads.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=222

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used "poster putty", worked great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Cantwell

Central Point
Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually just used blue painters tape. I didn't take any of the firing arc sticker off at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I just used silly putty, it's 11 cents for a pack of it at your local dollar store, and it works great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.