6 Posts

Arctic Scavengers» Forums » Variants

Subject: The fate of trashed people rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johnathan Kemp
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
One of the great things about Arctic Scavengers is the way the theme of the game fits the game play. There is one aspect of the game though that somehow does not "feel right" to me, and that is the placing of all "trashed" cards in the junkyard pile.

It makes sense to place anything that is not a person in the junkyard, to be recovered by a dig action, but to recover people from the junkyard?! If you are digging in the junkyard and find a person they are probably dead!

Would it not be more fitting to place a person card e.g. a refugee card in its own pile next to the mercenaries and treat them like mercenaries i.e. being obtained by a Hire action? If the card has no food or medicine cost to it then it would simply be a free recruitment.

For those of you who have played the game what do you think? Does this work better and fit closer to the theme of the game or would it in some way compromise game play?

Kind regards

Johnathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me that doesn't mean I found them buried in a pile of junk... It's just that I send some people to the junkyard and they found other people there that were alone and lost and we decided to take them into our tribe...

The same thing in reverse for putting people in the junkyard... They went to try and find things and got lost for example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeke
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When my tribe abandons people in the junkyard, we always leave them with an ample supply of food and freshwater. We're considerate like that.

Also, they consume a lot fewer calories than you would think, because of the lower metabolism as a result of hypothermia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Connolly
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeke, you're too soft-hearted to survive in this cruel world. You've decided that these people aren't pulling their weight and need to go. Why would you give them any of your precious resources?

I think of it like Hansel and Gretel. You take them out into the wilderness and tell them "Wait here while we go ...uh... hunt. We'll come back and get you later." But you don't come back and when it gets dark and they get cold and hungry annd fearful that something has happened to you, they try to find their way home. Only they don't find a gingerbread house. The junkyard is the witch's gingerbread house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People who are trashed are exiled, in my mind. They're simply not useful enough, not earning their keep, away they go.

People picked up from the junkyard are lone wanderers sick of foraging on their own, attracted to being part of a tribe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
OhBollox wrote:
People who are trashed are exiled, in my mind. They're simply not useful enough, not earning their keep, away they go.

People picked up from the junkyard are lone wanderers sick of foraging on their own, attracted to being part of a tribe.

This is exactly how we saw it whenever we played the game. Also, don't forget, that in most game a given card does not stand for ONE specific person, but for a group of persons. So the very same card does not mean it stands for the very same person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.