10 Posts

Blue Moon City» Forums » Rules

Subject: Running out of scales rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Schlimgen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I know that if there are not enough scales to go around while scoring a building, "imaginary" scales are used while scoring the scales. The question is are these imaginary scales converted to real scales after the scoring? If not, in what order are the real scales awarded?

Example: Suppose there are two scales left and three players are on a building being scored that is next to a completed Monastery Tower (+1 scale). Three scales have to be awarded for the newly completed building, but there are not enough to go around. One of the players now has two scales (real plus imaginary) so won't score any crystals and will keep his scales. But does he keep one or two scales?

This came up the first time scales were scored and we decided to convert imaginary scales to real scales to be fair to the person that only had one real plus one imaginary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
macron wrote:

This came up the first time scales were scored and we decided to convert imaginary scales to real scales to be fair to the person that only had one real plus one imaginary.

I imagine this is the correct way to handle the situation.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
We would play it in that way as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Scales are scored instantly. When the last scale from the pool is handed out, stop and immediately score the scales and reward crystals. Then, return the scored scales to the pool, and continue to draw scales.

To determine the order that scales are distributed = players with the most markers on the building (ties being broken by the marker farther left (see scoring a completed building and scoring the golden scales).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
Scales are scored instantly. When the last scale from the pool is handed out, stop and immediately score the scales and reward crystals. Then, return the scored scales to the pool, and continue to draw scales.

To determine the order that scales are distributed = players with the most markers on the building (ties being broken by the marker farther left (see scoring a completed building and scoring the golden scales).

The rules disagree with this interpretation.

From the FFG rules available on their site:

Quote:
Any
scales that could not be awarded because the scales had run out are still counted
towards the respective players’ totals.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Sky Knight X wrote:

The rules disagree with this interpretation.

From the FFG rules available on their site:

Quote:
Any
scales that could not be awarded because the scales had run out are still counted
towards the respective players’ totals.

And yet, why would the rules specify the order..? Or was Sky Knight's post an interpretation and not a rules quote?

I have to believe that you get to keep all your scales, real or imaginary, as otherwise the rule would be rediculous and unfair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

And yet, why would the rules specify the order..? Or was Sky Knight's post an interpretation and not a rules quote?

I have to believe that you get to keep all your scales, real or imaginary, as otherwise the rule would be rediculous and unfair.

The rules don't specify an order. I'm not sure where the interpretation Sky Knight offered came from.

The only time you ever keep scales after scoring them is if you had fewer than 3 when scoring occured. All other scales return to form a new pool. I agree that if you did not have 3 scales you should keep any phantom scales earned as regular scales from the pool once it is resupplied.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

The first paragraph of "Scoring the Golden Scales" says:

"There are two independent ways to receive golden scales: by making contributions in the presence of dragons or by scoring a completed building. When the last golden scale is taken during one of these actions, the golden scales are scored instantly. Any scales that could not be awarded because the scales had run out are still counted towards the respective players' totals."

We've interpreted that to mean dragon scoring occurs immediately after either of these events is completed, so all scales for either dragon presence or for completing a building would be distributed before scoring the dragon scales, awarding "virtual" scales, as necessary.

In your example, there would never be any extra scales not awarded due to running out, as the last sentence in the quoted rule allows for.

And as others have already stated, converting virtual scales to "real" scales after the scoring, (if a player has less than 3) makes perfect sense, though the rules didn't cover that specifically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to explain so that I am not taken for a complete idiot (just an idiot), I missed the sentence, "Any scales that could not be awarded because the scales had run out are still counted towards the respective players' totals." That makes all the difference in the world.

How I got the turn order is stated under Scoring a Completed building: "The player who has the most markers on the building (with ties being broken by by the marker farther left) receives crystals, tokens, cards, or golden scales as indicated..." Not that it matters. Hmmm, I think I may have just reinforced the complete idiot thing, instead of refuting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.