Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
So, supposedly, I would like to buy everything now - the base game, ambassadors, promos. I'm having problems gathering all the necessary information.

- if I order via Artpia, do I get the Promo box (as they state) or is it "Expanding the Alliance" now (name change)?
- if I get the promo box (whatever the name is), does it include these kickstarter stretch items or do I have to buy them separately?
- which score board I will end up having? There are at least 3 desgins floating around the net and I have no idea.
- if I order all 3 packs (core, ambassadors, promos) and ks strech, what other stuff I will still miss (Wiss/Hythians? Other stuff/cards?). How to get that missing stuff?
- in the may kickstarter, there were some stretch goals, that I assume are not included in all previous boxes. Is there a way to get them? (new objectives/locations/taxation set and whatnot)
- how to get metal coins? are they included in any of these boxes? is there a way to order them?
- are there any changes in this new print for both ambassadors and core? (different art, scoreboard, card layout, etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Dixon
United States
Herndon
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Option 1 :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/241478362/new-dawn/comm...

You can get them here and help out their new game. Just use the 2$ pledge and the add on section.

So you add 2$ to anything you want in the addon section. After the campaign closes artipia will send a survey out where you place your order. (So with the 3 Games, and the basic metal coins you need to pledge 126 USD total)

You cannont get the promo ks stretch goals sadly through this method.

Option 2:

Artipia Store:
You will need the base game, ambassidors, promo's and the ks stretch goals.

Other Questions:

Promo box only includes the ks stretch goals from the first two games.

You will only get the new score board with this option which is here.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/magecompany/among-the-s...

You can get the Hythian (sold out) and the wiss from the bgg store.
http://boardgamegeekstore.com/

Metals Coins are available on the KS campaign.

The art is the same except for the dual location cards but im told they will be more color blind friendly hope this helps.

I would go with Option 1 as it helps the other campaign and gets you everything at the same time anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear about changes over time:
The current edition of AtS base game is being printed for an estimated September 2014 delivery. This is the second edition. Changes from the first edition:
+ Cards that refer to colors of cards now include a small letter inside the color symbol, for better color-blind accessibility
+ A cleaner scoreboard has been included and replaces the original one

The only exclusive cards in the game are the Dual Location Set - Original Artwork. These were only made available to the backers of the first Indiegogo campaign for the base game. The Promos set includes these with alternate artwork, so you get functionally the same cards, but to get the original artwork cards, you'll have to find a backer willing to sell.

The BGG store has 2 race promos that are not included in any expansion; the Hythian and the Wiss. Availability of these is highly subject to change. On the other hand, for my money, there's better things to spend $5 (each) on.

Finally, there was a set of stretch goals created during the recent campaign to reprint the base game; these will [almost certainly] eventually be bundled up into a "Promos 2" expansion with the stretch goals from another campaign, but you can shell out 12 euros for them now.

Not included with any purchase:
Tuckboxes (and note that the boxes have no inserts at all)
Metal Coins
Sleeves, unless you select that option on Artipia (you can also just buy sleeves yourself for the same or better cost, and/or use a different brand)
Resin figures (ship, turn order marker)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for responses, but it seems to me that you are equally confused as I am, since you provide contradicting responses and state things that also contradict with what I've read :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is still unclear? I'll try to be clear.

First, the current kickstarter campaign is for a completely different game set in the same universe. Maybe a good comparison is the original Settlers of Catan vs something like Candamir. If you really just want the core "Among the Stars" game and expansions, the current KS is not the place to be.

Second, here's a breakdown of the history:
* Original base game indiegogo campaign: base game 1E plus "stretch goals cards, set 1", plus exclusive "Dual Location Original Art" cards
* Ambassadors kickstarer: Ambassadors game, "stretch goals cards, set 2", special bigger (folding) scoreboard
* Promos kickstarter: Combines "Stretch goals cards, set 1" and "Stretch goals cards, set 2." Backers also got "Blank locations" which are exactly what you think.
* Hythian promo race (Ambassador tile and supporting cards): Available exclusively through BGG store.
* Wiss promo race: Available exclusively through BGG store.
* Base game reprint KS campaign: base game 2E (color-blind, scoreboard as described in my earlier post), plus "stretch goal cards, set 3"

The only way to get "Stretch goal cards, set 3" right now is direct from Atripia on their website, for 12 Euros. At some point in the future, probably after another expansion, they will *probably* combine Stretch Goal Cards, Set 3 and Stretch goal cards, set 4 (from the hypothetical expansion campaign) in "Promos 2."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Dixon
United States
Herndon
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
What is still unclear? I'll try to be clear.

First, the current kickstarter campaign is for a completely different game set in the same universe. Maybe a good comparison is the original Settlers of Catan vs something like Candamir. If you really just want the core "Among the Stars" game and expansions, the current KS is not the place to be.

Well except you can order everything from this just as easy but for the most part you are right. It is a campaign for a different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ks may be slightly better if you don't want promo set 3 or prefer to pay in USD, or anticipate wanting to buy the new game at some point and just go ahead and pledge now at $55 plus extras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just get everything through the current Kickstarter for Artipia's new game NEW DAWN? The only thing you will need to order through Artipia's website are some of the latest promo's.

Everything else (or close to) is available through the base game, The Ambassadors and The Promos. These are all available at the current KS. Later this year, or next year there will be a separate release for The Promos II, last I heard.

If you don't want NEW DAWN, you would still be helping other backers by achieving stretch goals for NEW DAWN by getting Among The Stars through the current KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for the people in the states if you wait until August you can buy the game or even pre-order it right now if wanted from stronghold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordering from NEW DAWN KS, ignoring add-ons like coins/tuckboxes.

$50 + $28 + $28 + $2 (pledge level): $108, or just about 80 EUR in today's rates.

Direct from Artipia: 72 EUR, or about $97.39 in today's rates.

Add 12 EUR / $16.23 for the extra stretch goal cards direct from Artipia.

So, $10 sounds like a good reason. Now if you live in the US and would pay a conversion fee, usually about 2.5% but we'll call it 3% [Paypal's ridiculous 3.9% should be avoided], you need to deliver $97.39 after fees, so $100.40 is what you'd actually pay. You're still saving almost $8 and giving Artipia more money, since they don't lose a chunk to KS. Yes, you're not helping stretch goals, but that's not really your responsibility; backers who are actually getting the product should be the ones pushing up stretch goals, not passers-by just using KS as a store.

And if you live in EU, and have to pay currency conversion to USD for Kickstarer, you need to deliver $108 after a 3% fee, about $111.34, or about 82.32 EUR, so you're paying a bit over 10 EUR extra to support a project you may not care about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:

+ Cards that refer to colors of cards now include a small letter inside the color symbol, for better color-blind accessibility

Do Ambassadors and others promos have this as well (meaning: are they in print as well, to cover this changes) ? I wouldn't be terribly happy playing cards with different designs and explaining them to players. I can see on current pictures, that previous prints did not have it.
InfoCynic wrote:

And yet in current KS (New Dawn), there is an option for another scoreboard (with apparently old design) + figures. Confusing. Why would they do that?

InfoCynic wrote:

The BGG store has 2 race promos that are not included in any expansion; the Hythian and the Wiss.

Yeah. Apparently only one is currently available, but Artipia said that it will change. They don't look particularly exciting, though.

InfoCynic wrote:

Finally, there was a set of stretch goals created during the recent campaign (...) but you can shell out 12 euros for them now.

Yup. The so called "KS stretch rewards" on Artipia website.

InfoCynic wrote:

Not included with any purchase:
Tuckboxes (and note that the boxes have no inserts at all)
Metal Coins
Sleeves, unless you select that option on Artipia (you can also just buy sleeves yourself for the same or better cost, and/or use a different brand)
Resin figures (ship, turn order marker)

All above are available as addons in New Dawn Kickstarter.
Sleeves are available on Artipia website.
Ship turn order marker is actually included in KS stretch rewards pack.

Ordering AtS via Kickstarter makes little sense, as there's no KS stretch reward there and the cost is significantly higher (as stated above), not to mention the need to back up another game (which will be fine, but I'll wait, thank you very much).

I guess you can all see now, that this information is severly scattered and different people know different things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The base game of AMONG THE STARS is currently on preorder on the Stronghold Games website:

http://strongholdgames.com/store/june-2014-preorders/

The first and second expansions ("The Ambassadors" and "Expanding The Alliance" (aka "the Promos") will be on preorder in the near future on the website.

You can preorder now (or soon) from Stronghold Games, or you can wait until it is in your FLGS/FOLGS to order.

In any case, Stronghold Games is committed to supporting this great line of games fully!

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Stephen. I saw the preorder before (great price) but at this point I want to get everything in one package plus all these scattered promos. In fact, Portal games distributes a localized version of AtS here in Poland and while I already have it, don't want to wait another year or so to get everything, especially now, when New Dawn (and Essen in general) is around the corner. I'm also not super happy about Portal edition, which softened the game significantly and made it more childish / family friendly (aesthetics). That's fine, but I just want that original dark blue box and lowercase fonts! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:

The base game of AMONG THE STARS is currently on preorder on the Stronghold Games website:

http://strongholdgames.com/store/june-2014-preorders/

The first and second expansions ("The Ambassadors" and "Expanding The Alliance" (aka "the Promos") will be on preorder in the near future on the website.

You can preorder now (or soon) from Stronghold Games, or you can wait until it is in your FLGS/FOLGS to order.

In any case, Stronghold Games is committed to supporting this great line of games fully!

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

Wish I heard about this when I KS'ed the last AMTS campaign and bought the base set. I plan on pre-odering Ambassadors from Stronghold when available though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:

Do Ambassadors and others promos have this as well (meaning: are they in print as well, to cover this changes) ? I wouldn't be terribly happy playing cards with different designs and explaining them to players. I can see on current pictures, that previous prints did not have it.

It's only an extremely small change on a small number of cards, for what it's worth. All printings of Ambassadors and Promos are color-blind-friendly.

Quote:
InfoCynic wrote:

And yet in current KS (New Dawn), there is an option for another scoreboard (with apparently old design) + figures. Confusing. Why would they do that?

That's a bigger scoreboard. It's an option for those who like it better than the one included with AtS, including those who have AtS 1E and have not yet purchased a better scoreboard.

Quote:
I guess you can all see now, that this information is severly scattered and different people know different things.

Yes, their communications strategy isn't ideal. Experts here on the forums are generally your best bet. Asking specific questions is usually a better approach than blanket "explain it to me" requests, since it's easier to give solid answers to specific questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:

It's only an extremely small change on a small number of cards, for what it's worth. All printings of Ambassadors and Promos are color-blind-friendly.

Really? Because it doesn't look like it.
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1765126/among-stars-ambassado...

InfoCynic wrote:

That's a bigger scoreboard. It's an option for those who like it better than the one included with AtS, including those who have AtS 1E and have not yet purchased a better scoreboard.

... right. Even more confusing. So it's bigger, but older design. It's just baffling. Why it couldn't be the newest design, just bigger? It's clearly superior.

Do these resin ships still cover whole field or these fields are big enough to contain few of them?

InfoCynic wrote:

Yes, their communications strategy isn't ideal. Experts here on the forums are generally your best bet. Asking specific questions is usually a better approach than blanket "explain it to me" requests, since it's easier to give solid answers to specific questions. :)

Indeed, that's why I actually asked very specific questions in my first post. Thanks for answers. Eventually, I've ordered everything from Artipia (the whole set + KS stretch rewards) and backed New Dawn at minimal amount + AtS rewards I want (tuckboxes and metal coins). So it's possible to get "everything" (well, almost, bgg store races aren't there), but the way to do this isn't exactly easy. It's definitely a good thing that Stronghold will cover this in near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if Stronghold will have the metal coins / tuckboxes / resin ships etc. But those are strictly optional, and there are lots of companies putting out extra add-ons like those, so it's not a huge deal. Atripia should just offer those on their store, but of course, they're not even ready yet, so maybe they will be on Atripia's store after they are actually created.

The spaces on the bigger scoreboard are still WAY too small to fit 2 resin ships, let alone 3 or 4. There's (at least one and probably several) fan-made one in the files section you could print out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:

$50 + $28 + $28 + $2 (pledge level): $108, or just about 80 EUR in today's rates.

So, $10 sounds like a good reason. Now if you live in the US and would pay a conversion fee, usually about 2.5% but we'll call it 3% [Paypal's ridiculous 3.9% should be avoided], you need to deliver $97.39 after fees, so $100.40 is what you'd actually pay. You're still saving almost $8 and giving Artipia more money, since they don't lose a chunk to KS. Yes, you're not helping stretch goals, but that's not really your responsibility; backers who are actually getting the product should be the ones pushing up stretch goals, not passers-by just using KS as a store.

And if you live in EU, and have to pay currency conversion to USD for Kickstarer, you need to deliver $108 after a 3% fee, about $111.34, or about 82.32 EUR, so you're paying a bit over 10 EUR extra to support a project you may not care about.

Do you expect there to be any delivery date differences between ordering Among the Stars via the New Dawn Kickstarter versus directly from Artipia? I would assume not but there are many instances of game publishers releasing to retail stores first before KS. Since they are so similar in price, I want to purchase through whichever venue will get me my game quickest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sygyzy wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:

Do you expect there to be any delivery date differences between ordering Among the Stars via the New Dawn Kickstarter versus directly from Artipia? I would assume not but there are many instances of game publishers releasing to retail stores first before KS. Since they are so similar in price, I want to purchase through whichever venue will get me my game quickest.

Through their website should have your games along with the kickstarter copies. With Artipia Games, in my experience, you are very likely to get it faster than waiting for retail. They've been prompt with all kickstarters of theirs' I've backed, although sometimes the postal service they use can be...unpredictable - Still, not much they can do when it's already in the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:

Through their website should have your games along with the kickstarter copies. With Artipia Games, in my experience, you are very likely to get it faster than waiting for retail. They've been prompt with all kickstarters of theirs' I've backed, although sometimes the postal service they use can be...unpredictable - Still, not much they can do when it's already in the system.

Sorry for the confusion but I don't understand what you are saying. What does "Through their website should have your games along with the kickstarter copies" mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sygyzy wrote:
Sorry for the confusion but I don't understand what you are saying. What does "Through their website should have your games along with the kickstarter copies" mean?

Oh, I misread your comment, might as well ignore that =P (I thought you were on about picking up New Dawn via their website, which is an extension of the kickstarter campaign at the moment).

There shouldn't be a difference, Artipia despatch things when they have them, so if you were to add Among the Stars to your New Dawn pledge it's very likely they will despatch it as soon as the reprint arrives (i.e. the one thats' set to ship in September).

Of course I'm obviously not an official rep, this is just from experience =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fastest way to get AMONG THE STARS at this point is via your FLGS/FOLGS (at least in North America, Australia, Asia).

The Stronghold Games release of this great game is AUGUST 27!

Also, the first two EXPANSIONS for Among The Stars are now on PREORDER at the Stronghold Games website (for North American customers). You can order both of these NOW, and get 30% off MSRP plus guaranteed shipping to you before anyone else (including Distributors and Retailers):

- Among The Stars: The Ambassadors
- Among The Stars: Expanding The Alliance

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a non-self-interested take:

Stephen's almost certainly correct *if you just want the base game*. Plus it's going to be cheaper. Artipia isn't even expecting the base game until September, so if Stronghold is promising an August 27 release date to FLGS, you should be good to go there. Even at full retail, $50 from what I recall, based on today's exchange rate, the Artipia price is $49.47, and that assumes no fee for the exchange.

Verdict is still out on the expansions; as I don't think we know what retail is or when Stronghold is going to be able to deliver them.

And if you want extras like metal coins, tuckboxes, etc., you have to get those from Artipia anyway, probably during their next KS since I don't think they sell them a la carte on their website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
For a non-self-interested take:

Stephen's almost certainly correct *if you just want the base game*. Plus it's going to be cheaper. Artipia isn't even expecting the base game until September, so if Stronghold is promising an August 27 release date to FLGS, you should be good to go there. Even at full retail, $50 from what I recall, based on today's exchange rate, the Artipia price is $49.47, and that assumes no fee for the exchange.

Verdict is still out on the expansions; as I don't think we know what retail is or when Stronghold is going to be able to deliver them.

And if you want extras like metal coins, tuckboxes, etc., you have to get those from Artipia anyway, probably during their next KS since I don't think they sell them a la carte on their website.

Actually Stronghold's website has the release date, pre-order, and price up. http://strongholdgames.com/. Retail for the expansions are $34.95 (each). You can pre-order them from Stronghold for 30% off, pretty good deal if you ask me. The release date is Sep. 2014.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
30% off with $10 shipping usually. Eats into 30% fast.

OK, so using Michigan as an example:

FULL SET from stronghold (assume this won't ship until sometime in September 2014): $98 + $13 shipping = $111

Base set from FLGS, expansions from stronghold (only valid if you preorder now and get the discount locked in):
$50 FLGS + $49 SH + $10 shipping = $109

FULL SET from Artipia (shipping sometime September 2014):
75 EUR ~= $100 USD, shipping included. Call it 3% for currency conversion, for $103

Base from FLGS, expansions from Artipia (shipping September 2014):
$50 FLGS + 56 EUR ~= 75 USD = $125 plus currency conversion.

So your absolute cheapest way to get everything is from Artipia direct, but getting the base set from your FLGS and preordering expansions from Stronghold is reasonably close. If your FLGS has any sort of discounts/loyalty program, you may want to wait and get the expansions from them too.

For example, a FLGS with 20% off:
$120 for base and expansions, less 20%: $96.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.