Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Shilts
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for any feedback on this build. My goal is high defense, upgrades for the Borg to chew on and as many actions as I can get.

I've never run pure feds before in an OP and thought it would be fun. I'm not going to win this turkey shoot, but I want to do the best I can with a fed build. I may drop the photon torpedoes on the Intrepid down to the cost 3 variant so I can take the actual Voyager instead.

Resource: Flagship Federation (10)

U.S.S. Equinox (20)
Kathryn Janeway (5)
Flagship (0)
Pavel Chekov (3)
Data (3)
Photon Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 34

USS Voyager (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Tom Paris (4)
Hikaru Sulu (3)
Photon Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 46

Total Build SP: 90
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mckraut wrote:
Looking for any feedback on this build. My goal is high defense, upgrades for the Borg to chew on and as many actions as I can get.

I've never run pure feds before in an OP and thought it would be fun. I'm not going to win this turkey shoot, but I want to do the best I can with a fed build. I may drop the photon torpedoes on the Intrepid down to the cost 3 variant so I can take the actual Voyager instead.

U.S.S. Equinox (20)
Kathryn Janeway (5)
Flagship (0)
Pavel Chekov (3)
Data (3)
Photon Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 34

USS Voyager (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Tom Paris (4)
Hikaru Sulu (3)
Photon Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 46

If you're looking for defense, I would consider running the cloaked Defiant along side the Fed Flagship. With the ability to re-roll defense dice, that thing is a beast to deal with. Actually if you swap the Defiant into that build, with the cloak you'd be rolling 9 defense dice with a re-roll (a virtual 18 defense dice)! Take that Transphasic/Cutting Beam/Barrage of Fire!

I also think that Chekov needs to be on Voyager. I'm not sure if Janewey adds much to the Equinox. I would think about dropping her for Ransom since you are focusing on defense. That would free up 3pts to upgrade [one of the torps to Quantums] or [both torps to a 4pt and 5pt variant]. As it stands now, the 3pt Photons don't do anything for Voyager. Its primary weapon starts at 4 dice and spending 3 pts to force a target lock action, lose 1 die on the attack and deny the +1 defense bonus at range 3 just doesn't seem to be worth it to me.

One other thing to note, the Equinox, if it uses Data's action, is at -2 attack. Even with the 5 dice torps, you are only rolling 3. Because you are using Data, you can't do an evasive maneuver with the ship, so Janewey can't add one more. I suppose she can double up on the flagship Battlestations or you could do a scan action (and not use Data), but that neither of those seem all that useful to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the defensive look of this with lots of action economy

Do the 2 Evades from Data proc Janeway's ability allowing for potentially 4 evades??? If so, damn!

You could potentially drop the torps off Voyager completely (since it has the 360 arc) and use Quantum Torps on the Equinox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shilts
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero, I adjusted things slightly from your suggestion and came up with this, but am still stuck with Data costing me 2 less attack dice (which is going to suck, you're right). Any further suggestions for beefing up the Equinox attack or getting my defense another way without Data?

List Name

U.S.S. Equinox (20)
Rudolph Ransom (2)
Flagship (0)
Data (3)
Tom Paris (4)
Quantum Torpedoes (6)
Ship SP: 35

USS Voyager (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Pavel Chekov (3)
Hikaru Sulu (3)
Ship SP: 42

Total Build SP: 87

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shilts
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinKase wrote:

Do the 2 Evades from Data proc Janeway's ability allowing for potentially 4 evades??? If so, damn!

You could potentially drop the torps off Voyager completely (since it has the 360 arc) and use Quantum Torps on the Equinox.

I don't think so since Data doesn't allow any more Evades to be taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mckraut wrote:
Hero, I adjusted things slightly from your suggestion and came up with this, but am still stuck with Data costing me 2 less attack dice (which is going to suck, you're right). Any further suggestions for beefing up the Equinox attack or getting my defense another way without Data?

List Name

U.S.S. Equinox (20)
Rudolph Ransom (2)
Flagship (0)
Data (3)
Tom Paris (4)
Quantum Torpedoes (6)

USS Voyager (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Pavel Chekov (3)
Hikaru Sulu (3)

Looking good. And if you get lucky and draw the Yeager, you'll have the points to spare to put her on the Equinox (if your venue allows it of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Z
msg tools
I like where you're going with this. I would think Data isn't going to be great in this one because of how fast you need to slug it out. You could use those extra points to go up to a larger ship line the Defiant maybe.

I was going to running something like this:

USS Voyager (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Pavel Chekov (3)
Hikaru Sulu (3)
Miles O'Brien (2)
Ship SP: 44

U.S.S. Defiant (24)
Benjamin Sisko (4)
Flagship (0)
Worf (3)
Noah Lessing (2)
Transwarp Drive (3)
Ship SP: 36

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mckraut wrote:

List Name

U.S.S. Equinox (20)
Rudolph Ransom (2)
Flagship (0)
Data (3)
Tom Paris (4)
Quantum Torpedoes (6)

USS Voyager (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Pavel Chekov (3)
Hikaru Sulu (3)

The only other upgrade that you could use on the Equinox, as it is, is Tuvok, but he is 5 points and disables after use.

Also keep in mind that both Data and the Torps will require an action, so you won't be doing both in the same round. And the torps disable after use, so that's another action that you'll need to take into account because its the Equinox's only offense. Lojur can buy you one more use before needing to re-enable, but I would think that you will want to take more than 2 shots with the ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't have a rear arc, but the Yeager doesn't disable photon torpedoes when it fires them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the Yeager one of the blind pulls for OP1? If so, he likely doesn't have one yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was planning a Fed/Bajoran combo for my first OP1 event, but for reasons beyond the venue's control, the event was postponed. They still ran a 90pt tourney where everyone just played with what they had built for the Collective. I didn't want to post my fleet until after the event because many of the players in the group frequent this forum and I didn't want to tip my hand.

Equinox
-Ind. Klingon Flagship
William Decker
High Energy Sensor Sweep
Quantum Torps
Secondary Torps
Mr. Spock
Lojur

Amorem
Tahna Los
Attack Pattern Delta
Neela
Li Nalas
Bioneural Circuitry (discounted to 3 +1 for cross faction)

90pts.

Each ship is self sufficient in what it was intended to do. I made it this way because neither was going to take a heavy assault particularly well.

So, the Equinox was my offense. With the Flagship giving it +1 shields, I could use the ship's ability, High Energy Sensor Sweep (free action scan), and the Flagship gave me Target Lock for free. During the attack phase, if I still had shields left, I would launch the Quantums (disabling Lojur), use Decker to destroy a shield for +1 crit and then follow-up with the Secondary Torps, again using Decker to destroy a shield for +1 crit. If the Equinox was still standing at the end of the turn, the special ability would regenerate back to 4 shields. Extremely high risk here since the Equinox only has 3 hull +1 from Flagship, but I thought it was really fun and I really wanted to find a good use for the Equinox.

The Akorem originally started with Kira as captain so I could forgo the Flagship for the Chief Engineer tokens to add 1 more hit per round when the Equinox attacked. But the Akorem is very squishy and if it is lost, the Equinox would be forced to not use its special ability to regen shields. Instead I made a 'freedom fighter' ship using Neela. The Klingon Flagship gave the Akorem one additional white maneuver for free. And the entire dial is white of green, so it was a ton of options. Anyways, this ship was built to try to take down the one ship (from the 90pts) builds like a super Cube. The plan is to slingshot the Akorem into range 3, use Neela and if I didn't roll a crit I would use the Bioneural Circuitry to re-roll. 6 total dice...should get me 1 crit right? with Attack Pattern Omega, I ensured that the crit would be a Warp Core Breach and then I could spend the game running away with the Equinox until the warp core exploded. If I succeeded I would discard Li Nalas so Neela could try to do her thing at least 1 more time (assuming the Akorem lived). If she failed I could disable Li Nalas and let her try for the Warp Core one more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mckraut wrote:
JustinKase wrote:

I don't think so since Data doesn't allow any more Evades to be taken.

You are correct, but not answering quite the way they were asking. I believe they were asking if Janeway's ability to 'double up' on any action you take applies to to Data. It does not, because Janeway's ability only specifically doubles up ____ actions. Data's ability gives you tokens for evade, but isn't considered an evade action.

The result of 'no it does not' is the same, but how you got there is a little different just for more rule clarity. Janeway doesn't just double tokens, only doubling up receiving a token from that specified action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.