Subject: RIP Johnny Winter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know nothing of his music, but I know he was loved and respected by a huge number of people on both sides of the performing stage.

He is probably the scariest person that I remember seeing when I was a younger child:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw him last year, he played a club here in Oxford. He could barely walk, and played a tiny electric guitar, as it was all the weight he could bear, he walked out to a chair on stage and someone set the guitar on his lap, and he went to town, still had it.

I actually saw him in Knoxville about 20 years prior to that. It was quite a contrast, but still great both times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never forget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes me sad. The 1969 live album Johnny Winter And is one of my all time favorites. Still Alive and Well kicks ass as a studio album and covers of Rolling Stones tunes beat the originals. I preferred Winters brand of Texas style blues over SRV. Johnny's playing sounded more raw and as mean as an abused pit bull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
This makes me sad. The 1969 live album Johnny Winter And is one of my all time favorites. Still Alive and Well kicks ass as a studio album and covers of Rolling Stones tunes beat the originals. I preferred Winters brand of Texas style blues over SRV. Johnny's playing sounded more raw and as mean as an abused pit bull.

His was one of the best concerts I ever saw. It was in Kalamazoo and there was hardy anyone there. We moved up close to the stage and he performed like it was a packed stadium. No one could play as fast as him.

I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan twice, but his concerts were not as memorable as that one.

What an amazing musician.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stanley
United States
The Boro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RIP.

One more off the list of blues greats I will not get to see / did not get to see.

He will be missed.
For what it is worth... to encourage sibling rivalry.... I always liked Johnny's sound to Edgar's....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb

Sometimes I still warm up with a little of this version of Let It Bleed. A couple weeks ago I was noodling on my bass and fell into Silver Train. Both are Mick and Keef tunes. I still know how to play Cheap Tequila (written by Rick Derringer) off this album and the live version of Jumpin' Jack Flash on Johnny Winter And trumps the original Stones.

Like slide guitar? If you just type Johnny Winter into the youtube search bar I guarantee you Mean Town Blues and Highway 61 Revisited will be on the first page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
For my money, the greatest rock and roll intro ever:

R.I.P. Mr. Winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No! Just found out - I've put the first album on as tribute.

Gutted. Quite simply an amazing man. I never did get to see the old desperado live...soblue

Apart from being a performer etc he helped rediscover,produce, and introduce several artists to a younger generation - check out the version of "Mannish Boy" he did with Muddy Waters.

Inspired me to to pick up a bottleneck. I'm pretty choked up right now, we'll no doubt raise some glasses and have a toke in his honour. Go easy, brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.