Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I finally played the first scenario with a friend last night and I have got to say that this game simply rocks! Even without all of the bells and whistles in the introductory scenario, the game was a hell of a lot of fun. We goofed up quite a bit and some of that was really on me as I am a very poor rules reader. The rules weren't as bad as I thought they would be.

This game might very well be the game I have always looked for. It is really easy to learn and yet has TONS of options and decision points that add a lot of depth. The graphics are incredible and as others mentioned before, the game creates a narrative like no other game I have played. In the game we played, both halftracks came out and within a turn or two, I had his M3 in flames. The very next marker I moved mine out and my opponent pops out an opportunity fire card trailed immediately by a panzerfaust card. Of course, my Sdkfz 251 erupts in flames and we erupted in laughter over the whole thing.

I have been looking forward to this game from the very get-go when the designer first mentioned the game system on BGG several years ago. The KS project was too rich for me so I waited for the game to hit the OLGS market and here I am. While I have zero (0) interest in Shadows over Normandie, I am now a rabid fan of the HoN game system. It scratches every itch: Pretty quick set-up, deck-building, miniatures feel, great artwork, great feel, and tons of options with a lot of nail-biting decisions to be made. HoN just made the top of my gaming shelf.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just received my copy of the base game yesterday and your comments really increase my interest in getting it to the table. Sounds like just the combination of straightforward game mechanisms with tough choices on strategies, with a bit of luck and light humor in the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Skiprydell wrote:
I just received my copy of the base game yesterday and your comments really increase my interest in getting it to the table. Sounds like just the combination of straightforward game mechanisms with tough choices on strategies, with a bit of luck and light humor in the mix.

You nailed it on the head with "straightforward game mechanisms." This is like a Squad Leader lite with all of the fun left in the game.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clem seurat
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Ski ! Really happy to read you love the game that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
picoloclem wrote:
Thank you Ski ! Really happy to read you love the game that much.

No, thank you! Now if you can make sure us Yanks can get the expansions here in the US........

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clem seurat
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can do that because i know Iello has everything in its warehouse. What i cannot do, is telling you when they will release it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, is it a wargame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
picoloclem wrote:
I can do that because i know Iello has everything in its warehouse. What i cannot do, is telling you when they will release it.

devil You rock, sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:
So, is it a wargame?

Yes! You have troops with an attack and defense, movement, terrain, suppression, and scenarios. It is very much a wargame. I would argue that it is more of a wargame than Flames of Warhammer. Here, if you are in a prepared position, you actually have opportunity fire and actually use fire and movement that WWII was known for. FoW has none of that.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
DanKD wrote:
So, is it a wargame?

Yes! You have troops with an attack and defense, movement, terrain, suppression, and scenarios. It is very much a wargame. I would argue that it is more of a wargame than Flames of Warhammer. Here, if you are in a prepared position, you actually have opportunity fire and actually use fire and movement that WWII was known for. FoW has none of that.

-Ski

Did you mean Flames of War: The World War II Miniatures Game? I'm asking both because a non-minis Warhammer game drew my attention, and then it occurred to me that your auto-correct might automatically turn "war" into "warhammer".

And that is utterly awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
Teamski wrote:
DanKD wrote:
So, is it a wargame?

-Ski

Did you mean Flames of War: The World War II Miniatures Game? I'm asking both because a non-minis Warhammer game drew my attention, and then it occurred to me that your auto-correct might automatically turn "war" into "warhammer".

And that is utterly awesome.

Yeah, I used the term in jest as Flames of War is pretty much Warhammer 40k in WWII guise designed to sell as many figures as possible. The result is the least realistic WWII wargame possible.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Coelho
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to add that if you ever want to move to a game that is slightly meatier and develops incredible narrative every single time you play, I would highly recommend Combat Commander. The rules are well written and slightly more comparable to traditional war games, but the hexes are big, the mechanics innovative, and you NEVER know what is going to happen next. I mean that in the most awesome way.

I'm very close to picking this up, after having played it once with a distributor, but I also have my eyes on War Stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
RabbitMan wrote:
I just wanted to add that if you ever want to move to a game that is slightly meatier and develops incredible narrative every single time you play, I would highly recommend Combat Commander. The rules are well written and slightly more comparable to traditional war games, but the hexes are big, the mechanics innovative, and you NEVER know what is going to happen next. I mean that in the most awesome way.

I'm very close to picking this up, after having played it once with a distributor, but I also have my eyes on War Stories.

Yeah, I backed both War Stories games and I hope I will be able to incorporate my 1/285 scale figures to it.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.