Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Phillips
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
So I have just won this evenings Arena event as I am only one attending.

Two people attended the Web event.

I keep hearing of people complaining they cannot get to an event, but we seem to be having trouble getting enough people to get them going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cminion wrote:

I keep hearing of people complaining they cannot get to an event, but we seem to be having trouble getting enough people to get them going.

If I may ask, where and when do you play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Phillips
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
South of the UK.

Events have been tried at weekends and midweek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm half a world away from you, but found that there was a drastic drop off for the Episode OPs, and things picked back up for the first Collective one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Phillips
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I am hoping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Dominion OP 5 on Saturday, locally, and our group which is normally in the double digits, ended up being only four players..., but this was because the time got bumped three hours later than we normally do, on the one hand, and because there was a large anime convention that day that I think a few in the group were either attending, or volunteering/working at.

I guess I am offering the possibility that perhaps there was a competing interest during the regular scheduled time, or maybe it was just a fluke?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone is prepping and watching the British Open golf tournament! jk

Was it properly advertised ahead of time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough, the events that I run experienced the opposite:

Dominion War had a Bell curve of attendance where it started with 4 and ramped up, practically doubling attendance each month up to OP 4 where we had 16 attendees (USS Sutherland was highly desired). Then it went back down sharply to 10 or 11 for Op 5, then 5 or so for OP 6 (the increased entry fee to cover a prize that 3/4 of the players had no shot at didn't help).

There was a lot of grumbling and griping about the current state of the meta and "min-maxing" etc...

Then, Tholian Web happens and we had 10 people (five of whom were brand new to our events). So, hopefully, when I run the first of our two Arena events this weekend (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1203455/game-kastle-santa-cl... shameless plug) we will have another good turnout.

We have been able to increase prize support and thus are allowing for thematic builds to be eligible for prizes along with straight up winners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Must be a regional specific problem. Most places here have the opposite problem. We end up with too many players showing up for events and not enough space/time for everyone to play.

With no one showing up at all, I would almost say that poor advertising and promotion of the event is to blame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pollard
United Kingdom
Beeston
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How far from Nottingham? I'd be up for playing if I could get there, it might be the only chance I'll ever have of actually winning a prize, the player's round here are pretty damned good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Phillips
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
timpollard wrote:
How far from Nottingham? I'd be up for playing if I could get there, it might be the only chance I'll ever have of actually winning a prize, the player's round here are pretty damned good...

About three hour drive.

We used to have a good scene, I came second in the dominion war and third in the national event at the expo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Phillips
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
With no one showing up at all, I would almost say that poor advertising and promotion of the event is to blame.

Me to,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pollard
United Kingdom
Beeston
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah, that's a bit too far for an evening sadly - still, if there are any OP prizes left can I participate by post? :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:

This is not necessarily the case. The reason that there aren't really any major national/global chains of gaming stores is because hobby gaming is so regionally variant. Warmachine might sell like hot cakes in one store while two cities over the only thing they can move is Magic cards. If that second store started advertising and promoting Warmachine better, it may still not catch on.

It really depends on what local players in the community are into. If the area has a lot of friendly social folks who really love ST:AW, this will help it grow. If an area lacks such groups, or say has one or two unpleasant folks who really love ST:AW, that's likely to prevent any such group from catalyzing. It's sort of a thing of chance and serendipity as to what games catch on amongst local player base. Could be that the original poster's locality just lacks the right ingredients and lucky chance encounters to facilitate a ST:AW community.

Still, always worth trying! Keep promoting and maybe a group will catch on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
PanicAtTheSisko wrote:
I'm half a world away from you, but found that there was a drastic drop off for the Episode OPs, and things picked back up for the first Collective one.

Same thing happened to our local events. Went from 9-10 for the Dominion Events to 5-6 for the Episodic Events and then Back up for the Collective OPs.

I thought it was odd because the Tholian Web and Arena games were fun and had no commitments outside of a one-day, three round game. Was it the prizes? I know the S'Gorn is no slouch but a single Tolian Ship is just a pretty toy in my opinion. Not sure how I would enjoy face a swarm of them though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PanicAtTheSisko wrote:

Same here. It was pulling teeth to get anyone to show up for the episode OPs, I think one of them only had 3 attend at our largest venue.

Same venue, 'Collective OP1', we had 10 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Barchak
United States
Carl Junction
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am organizing our Dominion War OP #2 event tomorrow evening and just from talking to the players looks like our numbers are dropping from 9 to 4. It's a real son of a gun to set a time that works for large groups of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polishhammer wrote:
I am organizing our Dominion War OP #2 event tomorrow evening and just from talking to the players looks like our numbers are dropping from 9 to 4. It's a real son of a gun to set a time that works for large groups of people.

That's for Chang's ship right? I would think the turnout would be better, as that is one of the most sought after ships from the Dominion OP.

I should count myself fortunate indeed if I showed up to play and only another three showed up....

(hehehe)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danvan wrote:
polishhammer wrote:

That's for Chang's ship right? I would think the turnout would be better, as that is one of the most sought after ships from the Dominion OP.

I should count myself fortunate indeed if I showed up to play and only another three showed up....

(hehehe)

Yeah, the Ch'Tang Klingon BOP and the USS Sutherland were the big gets for the Dominion War. Ferengi to an extent as well, but mainly because of Cond. Surrender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
Danvan wrote:
polishhammer wrote:

(hehehe)

Yeah, the Ch'Tang Klingon BOP and the USS Sutherland were the big gets for the Dominion War. Ferengi to an extent as well, but mainly because of Cond. Surrender.

I have the Ch'Tang, StormTrooper721 gave it to me after beating me in the final for OP2 - he already had it. He took the Conditional Surrender and the Barrage of Fire cards, but I got the ship and the rest of the uniques. But I sure would have liked to win that one, as I play Klingons and those two cards would be sweet.

Likewise, I won OP3 and OP5, and won the fellowship prize for OP1, but I missed the fellowship prize for OP 4 - the Sutherland, and no one was willing to trade for it. (Sigh).

I am hoping to win OP6 - if I do I win the DS9 also, which I would probably trade for the Sutherland, and those two cards - and maybe another Vor'Cha or ENT-D (The Vor'Cha to play, the ENT-D to paint!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cminion wrote:

I think its a case of building a community around your venue, generally people will only in est in a game if they know they will get to use it, so if no-one is playing STAW at your venue, its not a good advert for the game.

I got into the game about 6 months ago, about half way through the Dominion war cycle, I bought by starter at a store that already had a thriving local STAW scene about an hour from where I live. That is where I attend OPs, it means I never win anything because I'm the noob and they've all been playing since the game came out and have prize ships coming out of every orifice. Still playing games is fun and I'm gradually getting the hang of it.

I've been working hard to get the game off the ground in my home town, so far I have three others hooked on it at my local club and have convinced the local book shop to start stocking STAW products too (they are already a GW independent stockist) so its slowly beginning to take off.

Just out of interest where exactly are you, I have a brother in Poole who is looking for an excuse to start the game, but his only opponent would be me when I am on vacation (so maybe twice a year).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS started a Facebook group for local STAW players, and that seems to have worked wonders. It promotes the OP events and the discussions and chat on that group page help build the sense of community. We've routinely had attendance over 20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cminion wrote:

Random chance is going to make that happen once in a while. One occurrance isn't necessarily a trend.

There are things though I worry about. One is the increasing complexity of the rules. SFB started out as a ziplock game with a relatively short rulebook. Now look at it. The rules in the starter kit are fine, if a little vague at times. With all the ships out there now, and all the questions that arise (antimatter mines, what works as an enhancer? Battlestations, no it's been ruled against. How's a new player supposed to know that?). I guess I'm asking how accessible the game really is to a newcomer. There really isn't that much of that in XWing (though I like Attack wing better).

Then there is the expense, and the problem of even getting some of the ships like the Ch'Tang and the Sutherland for any amount of money [IN THE STORES].

So now you have a game which requires a lot of outside the game study and reading, considerable expense, and you still won't have what some others have to compete because everything isn't sold to the public. As a new player, do you come?

With some practice and the purchase of a modest force in XWing, you can play the game without breaking the bank and without needing ALL the ships. And you won't come across conditional surrender types of builds. If you like XWing just as much, which game do you play?

I like Star Trek, and think this is a fun game to play and I want to play this one, but I'm starting to wonder if I should recommend it to anyone (I'm sure Magic the Gathering players begin to wonder the same).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So far I've only been to one event where barely anyone showed up and it was pretty much because the FLGS hadn't advertised it. In fact, the venue doesn't really advertise them at all. Just posts the events up and we have to go looking for them.

It'd be nice if the TOs pushed the events for you, Chris. But I think you also have to get yourself a group or chat going with your other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where was this event? Is this the one in Eastleigh? I don't remember seeing any midweek ones mentioned....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.