Subject: Pitting a car and that car getting lapped rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Shaw
United Kingdom
Edington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be grateful if someone could clarify something for me please.

When a car comes into the pits and it's move backward by 5 spaces on the apron takes it into the same sector (or behind) the leader does that car get a 'Lapped Car' token? To some of us playing the game for the first time the other day it seemed that it should. If this were to be the case that car that just pitted would then be removed from the race pretty much immediately. This would mean no-one would choose to pit a car in this way.

However section 4.2 says 'When the car possessing the Leader marker moves into the same sector as another car(s), that car(s) is considered lapped. Place a Lap-down marker on the lapped car(s).'. Which implies that only a forward movement by the leader can result in another car becoming lapped.

We chose not to give the pitting car a lapped token, were we right?
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben saylor
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
I'd assume it gets a lapped token since it ends up behind the leader which is what happens in actual racing. Other wise it would be difficult to track the position of the car after it came out of the pits.

Best bet for cars like that is to try and keep them out and hope for a yellow flag to get them back on the lead lap before pitting them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shaw
United Kingdom
Edington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ben... what you say seems to make sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you remove that lapped car from the race immediately after it pits because it's lapped?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Schrieber
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Disregard my previous (now edited/removed) post--I believe I had something else in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Do you remove that lapped car from the race immediately after it pits because it's lapped?

Yes, because the only way this can occur is if it's a Green Flag stop. Since pitting is done at the end of the turn, you'd pit, be moved back 5 spaces, and if your new space is behind the leader's Sector, you'd be marked with a Lap Down marker and removed during the Remove Lapped Cars segment.

If, by pitting, you are in the same Sector as the leader, you are still lapped (look at the Track Running Order definition in the Glossary).

Best bet is not to pit and hope you can stay ahead or get ahead of the leader before the end of the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dereksson wrote:

When a car comes into the pits and it's move backward by 5 spaces on the apron takes it into the same sector (or behind) the leader does that car get a 'Lapped Car' token? To some of us playing the game for the first time the other day it seemed that it should. If this were to be the case that car that just pitted would then be removed from the race pretty much immediately. This would mean no-one would choose to pit a car in this way.

However section 4.2 says 'When the car possessing the Leader marker moves into the same sector as another car(s), that car(s) is considered lapped. Place a Lap-down marker on the lapped car(s).'. Which implies that only a forward movement by the leader can result in another car becoming lapped.

Thanks

No, give the pitting car a lapped token and kick it. Basically, don't pit your car in that situation. It's okay that it's a non-choice in that situation because the pitting rules make for interesting choices in other situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bourassa
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent
mbmbmb
Dereksson wrote:

Thanks

I disagree with most of those who have posted so far in response to your question. If the car was on the lead lap, but already behind the leader, I would say that it should NOT get a lapped car token. Otherwise you'd have to give all the cars lapped car tokens since they're all behind the leader. The pitted car isn't lapped, it's just further behind the leader than those cars which didn't pit.

Say a car starts a turn in 4th place. When it's activated, it moves becoming the new leader. Eventually the car in 1st place at the start of the turn passes it to become the leader again. The car that began the turn in 4th place isn't then lapped. It's just behind the leader again. I'd argue that the same applies to the pitted car.

Now, if the pitted car received a lapped car marker at all during the turn and then chooses to pit I would then argue that the car should be removed as it's still behind the leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cbourassa wrote:
Dereksson wrote:

Thanks

I disagree with most of those who have posted so far in response to your question. If the car was on the lead lap, but already behind the leader, I would say that it should NOT get a lapped car token. Otherwise you'd have to give all the cars lapped car tokens since they're all behind the leader. The pitted car isn't lapped, it's just further behind the leader than those cars which didn't pit.

Say a car starts a turn in 4th place. When it's activated, it moves becoming the new leader. Eventually the car in 1st place at the start of the turn passes it to become the leader again. The car that began the turn in 4th place isn't then lapped. It's just behind the leader again. I'd argue that the same applies to the pitted car.

Now, if the pitted car received a lapped car marker at all during the turn and then chooses to pit I would then argue that the car should be removed as it's still behind the leader.

That wasn't the original post, though. The original post has the car which is pitting moving behind the leader after completing the pitting process. That car is now lapped.

Now, that said, I'm interpreting the Lapped rules liberally. The rules do, indeed, state that the Lead Car has to pass you, i.e., be moving, in order to place a Lapped marker. So, a strict reading of the rules would imply that the pitting car is NOT lapped. Unfortunately, only Jeff can clarify what the intent is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So, a strict reading of the rules would imply that the pitting car is NOT lapped. Unfortunately, only Jeff can clarify what the intent is.

It's a racing game. Do we really need Jeff to clarify whether a car that goes behind the leader from in front of the leader on a pit stop is lapped or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Quote:
So, a strict reading of the rules would imply that the pitting car is NOT lapped. Unfortunately, only Jeff can clarify what the intent is.

It's a racing game. Do we really need Jeff to clarify whether a car that goes behind the leader from in front of the leader on a pit stop is lapped or not?

Well, it's an abstraction of racing game.

I'm with you: the car should be lapped and removed. By a strict reading of the rules, though, it appears that this is not the case. So, yes, for all the rules lawyers out there it would need to be clarified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bourassa
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent
mbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:

That wasn't the original post, though. The original post has the car which is pitting moving behind the leader after completing the pitting process. That car is now lapped.

Now, that said, I'm interpreting the Lapped rules liberally. The rules do, indeed, state that the Lead Car has to pass you, i.e., be moving, in order to place a Lapped marker. So, a strict reading of the rules would imply that the pitting car is NOT lapped. Unfortunately, only Jeff can clarify what the intent is.

Originally I envisioned a car that was near the front of the pack moving backwards to pit and thus creating a new leader. I thought the original question was whether such a car would then be a lap down. In that case, I don't see how anyone could argue such a car is lapped.

But now I see that perhaps the original poster was asking about a car that was in danger of going a lap down but that managed to stay in front of the leader. Under that situation, I guess I'd agree that the car should be considered a lap down if it goes backwards past the leader. But, yes, a rules lawyer could make an argument that the leader has to pass you.

I think I just misunderstood the original question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and if the leader crosses the start finish line while pitting, add a lap. Then add another lap when they cross again next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The car that pits and falls even with or behind the leader is lapped & removed. Best bet is to try and ride out the next turn and hope for a yellow flag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Horger wrote:
The car that pits and falls even with or behind the leader is lapped & removed. Best bet is to try and ride out the next turn and hope for a yellow flag.

This is the best answer. Although it seems rather hopeless being that close to being lapped, another turn is another potential yellow flag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually watched a guy at Origins leave a car on the track and pick up wear 5 & 6 over two turns while he was being pushed along just in front of the leader. Other cars got passed and dropped out. in the end he won by 1 point which was his reward for just hanging in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shaw
United Kingdom
Edington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. As is usually the case it seems common sense applies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.