5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: List in excel with Board game Name and publsiher rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
legolas thai
msg tools
Hi all

i am about to start a list with as many games as possible and their respective publishers.

So Column 1: Catan
Column 2: Kosmos

I want to do this in Excel so that by sorting the data i can sort alphabetically or by publisher.

Before doing this, i thought that there must be a list like that out there, but did not find any...

Does anyone have a list like this?

Or if not, anybody interested and want to help?
I will start with the first 1000 games in the rank on BGG.
Click on each, copy the name and the publisher into excel and close the tab.

Any better option to do this?
Thanks for your help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why? You can already see a list of games by publisher. What are you trying to accomplish? If you're really bent on doing it, you're probably better off writing a program (or getting someone to), so that it's accurate, complete, and repeatable.

For example, here's Kosmos: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/37/kosmos. Scroll down to see the games published by them. And choose your sort order as desired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    That would be a valuable list. In theory you could scrape BGG's XML API to get all of them one at a time, but I don't think that will function as smoothly as it sounds. It may violate the terms of use as well, though I haven't had a look personally.

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BGG_XML_API&redirectedfro...#

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The easiest work around would be to go though and mark whatever subset you want as 'owned', and then download your collection. From there you can import to excel, and delete the information you don't want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
legolas thai
msg tools
Well, we have a Boardgame Café in Thailand and customers regularly come and ask me about games that i don't know or if i know them i am not sure who produces them.

Then i check bgg and i get the info.

But it would just be much handier to have a list from a to z with as much games as possible which also states the publisher and distributor.

I have such a list but it is only about 1000 titles. All of the american style games i actually do not have a clue. i mean all the Cthulu, D&D, and war games. Also the RPG's i dont know. So when a customer asks for catan or Ticket to Ride it is easy. But the expansion xy to the US RPG z takes some time to check... ;-)

I am working on the list an update it all the time. Just was thinking that maybe such a list already existed... maybe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.