Subject: I don't like Agricola.... should i buy Le Havre? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gabriele romagnoli
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi everyone
I'm considering buying le Havre but i'm a bit on the fence. I already own agricola(similar in some aspect) and i've been quite disappointed mainly by the fact that i don't feel like i'm specializing in something but rather doing a bit of everything in order to get point (have couple of sheeps, enough family members, different kind of crops etc.). I don't mind the game but it feels samy.
With this regards how does Le Havre "perform"? Are there multiple paths to victory or it is always about "shipping that steel" (like i've seen in some review).
I'm curious to hear what you think about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
I also am not a big fan of Agricola but I do enjoy La Havre.

If you plan on playing mostly solo or with 2 players it will tend to feel rather samey. But as you get higher player counts you see more different buildings and I've seen players win without even a single ship. Also the special buildings really change the game from play to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola and Le Havre are very different. I love both. Liking/or not one of them does not mean you will like/or not the other.

To be fair, they are both complex Euro style games with resource management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gabriele romagnoli
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My main concern is that there would be only one path to victory.I would like to have different strategies to win and not be forced by the game to do a bit of everything or ONLY one thing.... I would like to keep some freedom on how to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are different games, but do share a Uwe Rosenberg charateristic of having an expanding game space as the game proceeds. For this reason, people are often lost at what to do since so many options present themselves as the game progresses. If you don't like that about Agricola, you'll see it in LeHavre as well.

I personally really like LeHavre, but thought Agricola was just OK. There are several paths to victory in LeHavre and experience with the game makes them apparent. Experience will also show you how and when to block, when to sell a building and how to buy (not build) a ship. Timing is also an important part of the game. In a three player game over three rounds you'll have 3 actions, then 2 then another 2. The cycle then repeats. Setting up the round when you have 3 actions becomes important. Like other Uwe games, it comes down to efficiency of actions and resources and evaluating the game state for advantages. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.